Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moving to another state with my stash and supplies? >

Moving to another state with my stash and supplies?

Moving to another state with my stash and supplies?

Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 PM

After moving from NY to FL in 2004 we had a terrible time unpacking the craftroom. This time we did not move as far, only 5 miles but we did pack my stash around everything breakable and it made life easier.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
The suggestions above are great! Whatever you do, do not get rid of your stash! I did and I'm so sorry. At the time, I was more into cross stitch than quilting. I've spent a bundle builing up a stash again. Are you using a moving van? Large rubbermaid totes would be helpful. I'd hand carry my machines if possible.
And don't forget the foot pedal

sheepishly raises hand, you'd have thought I learn the first time, but no I did it a second as well.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
Not only using stash to wrap breakables but your linens also... towels and sheets... We moved 30 times in 23 years... I learned the hard way DON"T use the bubble wrap for your fragile and breakables. It doesn't give under weight pressure or mishandling by movers... The one time I used it, i lose over 1/2 of my collectible trinkets and several pieces of my dishes. Picture glass and frames were also broken...
Yes, use the plastic totes (13 gal. is is best for moving and storage) .... Books use the small totes... You won't believe how heavy books are when put in the 13 gal. size.
Egg crates from the grocery store are also good, as are orange boxes. And liquor boxes.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:07 PM

I stuffed as much as I could in the bed above the cab of the RV and had to pack up the rest to store. Fortunately all the kids stayed behind and I was able to get my Son store it for me so I didn't have to loose it.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 PM

Packing gives you a chance to review UFO's. Consider putting a dozen of these together in one "do it or dump it" crate. Before starting any more new projects at your new house, work on these. Or for each month do one or dump one! I did this when I moved (years ago), and wish I could be as good at clearing out UFO'S as I was that first year!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by debsews2002
My husband may have a job starting in another state. I just can't wrap my mind around how to pack all my "stuff" from my basement and my studio full of my stash and all my other craft supplies and computer supplies. Have any of you had to do this?? Have any suggestions or tips?
Deb in NC
I'd invest in a bunch of clear plastic containers. Keep the size around 20 gallons. Any bigger gets pretty heavy. Sort as you have stuff stashed, so your system is the same in the containers as in your present storage room. The clear lets you see at a glance what is where.

If you're moving to S.W. Indiana------I've got room for a bit more fabric. tee hee
Old 10-20-2010, 09:33 PM

When we moved my mother (56 years in the same house and everything went) we used ABF Moving... We packed, We loaded the moving van... they drove it :D Least expensive and you know how your stuff is packed and loaded. a lot of stress off dh and me.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by merrylouw
All the suggestions given have been very good, but one thing hasn't been mentioned: Space Bags! Those bags you suck the air out with your vacuum cleaner. They can then be put in boxes -- saves lots of space.
Folded fabric is fairly dense to begin with. Do the space bags reduce the size a lot? Granted, a king size quilt batt could probably fit in a legal sizad manila envelope, but plain ole fabric doesn't seem like it would reduce in volume much.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:37 AM

we got some large trash cans on sale that had wheels for moving.taped the lids down. i've got my material out but use them still for batting and storing winter blankets. since they are on wheels they easily just roll onto the moving van and room to room.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:27 PM

I've made a couple of moves and I packed my fabric. I bundled my fabric and tied them with fabric strips. When I was done I counted the bundles to make sure they all made it to my destination. The Government moved me and I didn't have confidence in all of my stuff getting to me in a safe manner.