Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moving to another state with my stash and supplies? >

Moving to another state with my stash and supplies?

Moving to another state with my stash and supplies?

Old 10-21-2010, 03:34 PM

I know what you mean about the packers, when we moved from the west coast, the truck was smoking before they got started and at least I noticed it before they left. So no damage. Dang smokers! Anyway, that was when I noticed they had packed my crystal in with the vacuum. First thing off the truck at our new destination was not my vacuum. We sold our home last summer and we waited for an apartment for two months, so my sewing machines went to my SIL place for safe keeping. The rest went in storage. I did use my stash, what little there is, to pack the breakables. I keep a fair amount of plastic bins in our storage space, just in case we have to move again.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
I used my stash as packing materials for the breakables...fat quarters between plates and bowls, larger pieces around serving dishes, glassware, decorative items, etc....just make sure that the items are clean. This way when you unwrap you can fold each piece of fabric in the way you want it and organize your stash in the new place as you unpack other rooms. I've moved several times and this has worked for me.
What a great idea!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:30 AM

I have moved numerous time, I packed my stash in the kids toy boxes and threw away the toys, hung big pieces of fabric on hangers and put in the clothing hanging boxes. got lots of boxes from Liquor store and egg crates from the grocery store.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:33 AM

I have moved numerous time, I packed my stash in the kids toy boxes and threw away the toys, hung big pieces of fabric on hangers and put in the clothing hanging boxes. got lots of boxes from Liquor store and egg crates from the grocery store.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:50 AM

Using your stash as wrapping material is a great idea. I have always used my linens, towels and such to wrap my breakables but never thought of using my stash. This past move two months ago was our first move with professional movers. I had already had all my cotton stash on boards so they all got packed into a few boxes.

Remember to label each box as to what room it is going into. As to "what" is in the box, not necessarily a great idea. Time before last when I got ready to move put some stuff in my daughter's storage unit - thought I was being real smart by putting "what" was in the box on the outside of the box. The storage unit got broken into and guess what was missing? Yep, the "stuff" that said "CDs/DVDS/Office stuff" - the stuff I couldn't possibly replace without a big expense. Never again will I do that!

Carry your machines and electronics in your car if you have the room; it just gives you a better piece of mind; besides you never know how the movers might handle your stuff once it is "on the truck". We found things had been turned sideways, upside down and what have you for them to pack the truck!

Sending your DH positive thoughts for landing the new job. The market is though everywhere; it is wonderful you have this opportunity.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by debsews2002
My husband may have a job starting in another state. I just can't wrap my mind around how to pack all my "stuff" from my basement and my studio full of my stash and all my other craft supplies and computer supplies. Have any of you had to do this?? Have any suggestions or tips?
Deb in NC
I have to share this experience as DH said we could not move all my fabric, supplies, etc. Soooo I numbered the boxes 1 to 14 of fabric and supplies marked for the sewing room. Ok so far but that was only 1/2 my stash so I started numbering the boxes again 1-14 marked for various rooms and DH moved all 28 boxes and was never the wiser. I felt a little guilty for the deception but not as bad as I would have felt for leaving 1/2 my stash behind. Good luck on your move.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by sew inspired
My husband may have a job starting in another state. I just can't wrap my mind around how to pack all my "stuff" from my basement and my studio full of my stash and all my other craft supplies and computer supplies. Have any of you had to do this?? Have any suggestions or tips?
Deb in NC
I have to share this experience as DH said we could not move all my fabric, supplies, etc. Soooo I numbered the boxes 1 to 14 of fabric and supplies marked for the sewing room. Ok so far but that was only 1/2 my stash so I started numbering the boxes again 1-14 marked for various rooms and DH moved all 28 boxes and was never the wiser. I felt a little guilty for the deception but not as bad as I would have felt for leaving 1/2 my stash behind. Good luck on your move.
I would told DH that he was coming when the very last box of stash did. If it and all the rest weren't on the truck, neither was he. :D
Old 10-24-2010, 06:31 PM

I love this one.............now that I am nearly done, course I just tape everything shut, and abrievate "what was inside for me".

Originally Posted by sew inspired
Deb in NC
Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 AM

Thanks for asking this question. We are also moving across the country. I have moved many times but only once before moved the sewing room. Thanks to all who replied to you. I agree with the person who said wrapping breakables with fabric sounds like way to much work re-pressing. We have always been able to have the moving company pack the breakables and we do the rest. I have a lot more plastic tubs of fabrics than last time and will stuff some extra things in those color boxes that aren't quit full. There were a lot of great ideas and tips though so thanks to all.