Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Must buy a new machine ASAP >

Must buy a new machine ASAP

Must buy a new machine ASAP

Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I am a fan of vintage singers or Brother machines.
Me too!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 AM

BILLY! He might have just what you need, or know what you would get the MOST enjoyment out of!!!! Billy is on the board and he is a wonder! Helped me with my Treadle and I am all the way across the country form him.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 AM

I love Pfaff, Just a thought, try ebay, my hubs picked up another pfaff for me and got a great deal, it was a "buy it now" for $320. but i think my hubs caught it just as the guy put it on ebay, has 100 stitches, walking foot self threader was very clean and excellant shape, one person owner. Its the next model up from mine.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
My $100 Kenmore seems to be dead. It doesn't seem to be worth repairing it. So on Thursday, I will go shopping. I do not want and cannot afford anything too complicated. Any ideas?
If your budget is limited, and you want something simple, I'd recommend an older machine. I have a Kenmore from the 70s that I bought new - it's still going strong. I also have several older singers that are approaching 100 years old and they are still going strong.

I get my machines from Craigslist, yard sales, and thrift stores. The older machines LAST, are easy to maintain, and can sometimes be bought for a song.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:10 AM

It's a pity your not in England, i just brought a lovely machine for the equivalent $100, brand new, and it does quilting, in case they are world wide, look for ACE sewing machines, it was delivered free next day, it's fab,
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM

I have an expensive Viking & quite a variety of pre-1960 Singers. I was thrilled to finally buy a "good" machine with so many fancy options. This is not to say that the Viking isn't a good machine, but I find for piecing I prefer the simplicity & stout reliability of the old Singers. They have a a very even stitch, a nice hum & are all easily maintained by me at home. I don't worry at all using them to stitch anything. As much as parts & service are for new machines, computer-based ones in particular, I feel I need to be more selective about what I put them through. If I were to go back, I would just keep the old machines; I don't do enough decorative stitching to justify it.
In addition I have a Singer 401, which was an early 60's machine that is one of the last all-metal-geared machines; tan & brown. It has about 27 built-in decorative stitches plus you can get many more decorative drop-in black cams(some come with machines) for extra fancy stitches.
I am a big fan of this website about vintage machines & their care: http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx
She covers most vintage Singer machines in detail with pics.

Also, if you want more speed control, you can get an electronic foot pedal to use with these old Singers without the heat build-up of the original foot pedals (only pertains to trying to sew really slowly). http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../Review/1/3701
blog.sew-classic.com sells the electronic foot pedals. She may also have information on your Kenmore & how to install a belt.

Best wishes choosing your next machine or getting your baby fixed. CT

The beautiful Queen Anne cabinet for the 401 series machines
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180422[/ATTACH]

Singer decorative stitch cam - common on ebay
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180430[/ATTACH]

Singer 401 or 401a w 27 built-in stitches
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180431[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-180416.png   attachment-180424.png   attachment-180425.png  
Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 AM

get another Kenmore. I have had mine about 25 yrs and only had it serviced once.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 AM

Dotty, you've been to the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop on this board, haven't you? Here's the link in case you haven't:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm

I have a small collection (about 20) of vintage sewing machines. I do have some Kenmores but so far, my 3 favorite models to sew on are Singer 15-91($100 w/cabinet & bench), FW ($250) and Singer 99 ($40). All of these came with oodles of attachments. They are known for their straight stitching.

All of my vintage machines have been purchased on craigslist. I am such a fan of craigslist. I also bought my Bernina Artista 200 embroidery machine on cl. :-D

PS: I can't imagine you without a sewing machine!!! Also, I would recommend you keep your Kenmore even if you do find a replacement. Maybe Billy can help you in the Vintage Shop with the Kenmore.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 AM

I would suggest a lower end Bernina like the 210 or 230. It is perfect, also there is a Brother that Consumer Reports list as a "best buy" for about $500.00. Don't buy a Berdett by Bernina.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 AM

I have old Singers but love my Babylock sewing machines. I have been told that both Babylock and Brothers are made in the same factory. I don't know what the differences are. I have the Decorators Choice. They renamed the whole series of Choice sewing machines.

I found a brand new Babylock on Ebay for $600., still in box tho two years old.

I would never, never, never buy a newer Singer as Singer has not made their machines for years. I agree with the gal who said buy a machine that is used and get more for your money. I keep two forties, fifties Singers just in case. Even if you buy a used machine you usual get discounts on fabrics and classes at that shop.

When we buy a cheap machine, they usually cannot be fixed.
The motors in the BL workhorses are great, I know many gals love Janome but I have only sewn on two. Because I don't want to spend a bunch of time learning to use my machine I demand user friendly. I love my old Pfaff for the walking foot but the newer machines are too complicated, unless one is computer literate.

I love a machine with a thread cutting and auto presser foot up and down, auto threader and tack stitch if I want.

I would borrow an older Singer and save till you can buy what you want. Do YOUR homework and go sew on all the machines and I don't just mean with their little samples. Bring your own fabric with some seams to see how easily it sews over multiple seam intersections and how precise the dec stitches are.

Only AFTER I had driven to dealers many times for months to make my decision did I check out Ebay and Craigslist. And I live 120 miles from a major city. Be cautious and ask the questions about the machine BEFORE you buy. Right now quite a few dealers are trying to sell their renamed models of Babylock on ebay. Ask about warranty and check with your dealer as to whether they will accept the warrenty for machine bought brand new on line.

SO GET STARTED ON HOMEWORK AND KNOW WHAT YOU WANT. Just so you know I have made three quilts in a month on my brand new machine. LOVE IT.

WISHING YOU THE BEST DECISION. I saved while I did my back and forth to dealers to get familiar with all the machines and left my number for them to call with good prices on used.