Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MY Bernina Died!!!!!! >

MY Bernina Died!!!!!!

MY Bernina Died!!!!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:02 AM

I didn't like the Brother machine at Wal Mart. found a newer model Kenmore at the pawn shop for $16.00 and I love it. It does some extra stitches too. Good machine.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:18 AM

Gosh, how old were these Berninas when the motherboard died? Several of you have mentioned this. I live in fear that my motherboard on my Pfaff 7570 (or some other essential part) will die and I won't be able to get parts for it.

I also have a old Kenmore, and I definitely would use that while you make a decision on your Bernina. Good luck. A good sewing machine is a "diamond" that we cherish and never want to loose.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:27 AM

I'd wait on the repairs on my Bernina. A great machine even if you have to put $$ into it. Better than a new cheapy.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
The cheap brothers do just nicely and last just fine, I hate that people bad mouth them on here. I have one from 93 that still runs, my MIL used it the other day to make an apron. My other one is 5 years old, never had any problems, I just bought another one. You are not going to be using it that often and it is great for class as well as a back up machine.
Me too. I have had Brothers that ran like a top. My machine now is a Brother QC1000 . I think it's a good machine for someone who wants a lot of bells and whistles without the machine costing a lot . Well yeah mine was 2 grand but compared to a Bernina. I couldn't have gotten one with half the stuff on it that mine has.
That being said I say find a way to set up your Kenmore especially if you are doing just straight stitch. Those older machines are real workhorses. Although if you have to set up and take down I totally understand the weight issue. I have a Household machine that I think weighs 40 lbs but it will sew everything short of a car bumper. :-)
Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 AM

I have 2 of the Brother machines both under $200 . I can fix 'em by myself and have no need of a shop to fix them. I don't like the computerized machines as this is what could happen. I have enough trouble with my laptops and desk top 'puters. I'd say get the Brother.Mine have a few fancy stitches but anything they don't have I embroider on my quilts. Just sayin
Old 09-27-2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
The cheap brothers do just nicely and last just fine, I hate that people bad mouth them on here. I have one from 93 that still runs, my MIL used it the other day to make an apron. My other one is 5 years old, never had any problems, I just bought another one. You are not going to be using it that often and it is great for class as well as a back up machine.
I agree. I just got a Janome 6500 which is awesome but my Brother 6100 still has it's special place in my sewing and it will continue to get TLC.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:16 AM

My Viking "went down" in the midst of sewing for DD wedding this summer. Due to finances (or lack of them) I bought the Singer Simple-$89. I was pleasantly surprised in mamy ways-the auto needle threader and fast threading was much better than on "Ms V"! However I do find the thread jumps out of the bobbin case causing tangleing. But it served it's purpose,and I figured out how to make that stop. Now I have to quit saying bad things about "new Singers"! Is it a Dream Mdachine? No. Does it sew? Yes. Is it forever? Probably as my back-up machine. If it breaks down will I pay money to have it repaired? No.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by debs
:cry: :cry:
Yes, Its true, and in the midst of sewing! I took it in last month for servicing and when they called for me to pick it up, they said something other than what I had mentioned was wrong with it, and they were ordering a part ( a cable ) hoping that it wasn't the motherboard ( expensive ). Well, it has been a month & the cable has not come in, when it was sent home it supposedly would still sew. This weekend when I went to do some major straight stitching it just died in the midst. I have no idea how long it will take for the part to arrive, I have multiple projects lined up for the coming holidays and really need to be sewing daily. So here is my question????
A. Should I just wait & hope for the best.
B. Go out & purchase a cheap under $200 machine and sew away. I've looked at Brothers & they have several under $200 that look like I could do quite well with them.
C. See if the Bernina shop will take my machine in as a trade for what they sell, Bernina, Baby Lock, Juki, etc. What hurts even more is I bought the leather roller foot for the Bernina this past week on sale! Its regularly $80.

I have an old Sears Kenmore cam machine 1971, but it weighs about a hundred pounds and I hate to set it up. Also have an old Singer treadle I haven't cleaned up yet and 2 sergers. The new machines even the under $200 ones even under $100 are so light and do so much.

Also should I just get a mechanical one or a computerized one, I really am not that interested in getting one that does embroidery, but I love doing fancy stitches.

Any comments, suggestions, etc. welcome,

Debs & Hemi
Hi, I recently damaged my Bernina when my DH accidently allowed the case with my machine fall down a flight of stairs - I was pretty sure it was gone to Bernina heaven! I was given several scenarios that might be diagnosed! 1) possible could not be repaired and could be used for parts and get a new Bernina. 2)might cost too much to repair 3) by a used Bernina. All these options were going to be expensive. The same day I looked at used machines (heavy) and the new 300 series (much lighter). I had been looking for a lighter machine that I could take to classes, etc. Turned out my Activa could be repaired and serviced for $170. The part ordered to repair has not come in at this time. And the 380 machine uses the same feet AND has the same capabilities as my Activa. Of course, I was LOOKING for a lighter weight machine but I wanted the same quality as my Activa. This machine doesn't have many decorative stitches. Since you have a back-up machine, I would use that and wait on the Bernina OR check on a loaner. They have done that for me for servicing. I LOVE my new machine. Same quality - BUT I was looking for one! BTW, I am still waiting for the part to repair my Activa! Several weeks already! Good Luck!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:04 AM

I would NEVER by a cheap machine from Walmart even though it says Brothers. Go to a reputable Brothers dealer and talk to them. They do have less expensive machines that have many fancy stitches and sew very well. I agree that they are not an equal to your old Bernina or to one of the top of the line Brothers, but they do a decent job.
The ones at WalMart are not really a Brothers machine. I think they are farmed out.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 AM

Have your 1530 repaired and keep an eye out for an older 830, 930 or 1030. They are workhorses and never go out.