Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MY Bernina Died!!!!!! >

MY Bernina Died!!!!!!

MY Bernina Died!!!!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by MissSandra
several years the mother board went out on my bernina it was 100. for a new one.
Thank everyone for their opinions and advice. I'm surprised that the majority of folks suggest waiting on repairs on my Bernina, and I do love it so I wasn't going to get rid of it, just frustrated with having it out of commission.

You all are great and a good backup for me not wasting money. I guess time & space were what was eating at me to get a new machine. The kenmore has done a lot of heavy duty sewing for me & now its just a matter of not having a sound sturdy place to set it up and it is so heavy. My current sewing area is not good & the Kenmore makes it "rock, rattle & roll!"

My husband would love all of you for suggesting I not go out & spend money!

Debs & Hemi
Old 09-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

This is why I won't have a computerized machine. That high tech stuff doesn't last. ALL MECHANICAL for me!

Set up your Kenmore and get to know it. If I had your treadle I'd have it up and running too, for when the power is out or when you just want to peacefully put some quilt tops together the old fashioned way!

I have a Kenmore that actually just makes a whir sound when sewing. I am going to try to find a machine as a backup until I can find someone to fix my Kenmore.

Use the vintage Kenmore till you find out the real deal on the Bernina, then if you have to make a choice to purchase you can get another Bernina with a clear conscience and spend the extra $200 on that.:)
Old 09-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Banned

I'm with Rachel - I'd ask for a loaner.
If they have an ounce of customer satisfaction sense, you'll get one.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:24 AM

Just have to jump in here with my Bernina story. I have the 950. The foot decided it was not going to go down anymore. I called the Bernina store where I purchased it. They had said in a recent newsletter that they were no longer going to have the K-stand in the shop to use for repair. I called to ask who they recomended for repair. I was told "We suggest you buy a new one." I repeated the question about repair and was told the same thing again. I have contacted my Janome repair person to do it for me. I am thinking it won't need the motor for that repair anyway. Lucky I have backup machines. You shoud use your Kenmore while you wait.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:24 AM

These common scenarios just emphasize to me that it's good to have a back-up machine. I LOVE my high-tech, computerized Berninas, but it's good to have a vintage mechanical in the closet for just such occasions. It helps if you don't expect a computerized sewing machine to last more than 20 years. If my computerized babies function beautifully for 10 years each, I'll consider anything beyond that to be extra credit. I expect the mechanicals will sew for my kids, too!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by marjean36
Just have to jump in here with my Bernina story. I have the 950. The foot decided it was not going to go down anymore. I called the Bernina store where I purchased it. They had said in a recent newsletter that they were no longer going to have the K-stand in the shop to use for repair. I called to ask who they recomended for repair. I was told "We suggest you buy a new one." I repeated the question about repair and was told the same thing again. I have contacted my Janome repair person to do it for me. I am thinking it won't need the motor for that repair anyway. Lucky I have backup machines. You shoud use your Kenmore while you wait.
WELL! I would contact Bernina, since they should CARE that you are a happy camper. When a mfgr doesn't service what they sell it is time to go to a competitor!!
:(
Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 AM

for the record i bought my Bernina 1630 in 1993 and this was the only repair ever needed and it was due to a strong magnetic exposure from a very low flying airplane landing at the airport ....my 1630 now lives at my Daughters and i go there to FMQ.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles
the BERNINA is just in a coma, went through that with my 1630 and the techs at BERNINA U.S.A. in Chicago fixed it ! but while it was out i reaquainted myself with my travel Bernette 55 and my 301A, still love that 301 straight stitch
this was my first comment...above was my second and yes the landing gear bearly cleared the roof