Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first guild meeting >

My first guild meeting

My first guild meeting

Old 07-04-2013, 07:13 AM

Aren't you happy you persisted? I can only imagine how wonderful it will be to share with a group of such welcoming quilters.

I bet you even end up finding more quilters locally through this group. So many groups aren't guild but get together to sew at churches, community centers, and such.

Happy quilting.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:30 AM

I'm happy for you too. I belong to a smaller guild of about 10 or 12, but everyone shows up and we have a fun time showing and learning and we always have either a pot luck or someone will do it all for lunch. They are my only quilting friends and count myself lucky to have found them.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 AM

What a great thing to happen to you! I've lost my quilting buddy to a move and hope I find a nice group like yours.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 AM

I belong to two guilds that meet at night, since I have a full-time job outside the house. Each of these guilds has a charitable bee, and but I look forward to the day that I retire and can join them in their daytime meetings, because they actually sew at these meetings. There is also an LQS about 30 minutes away that has several bees that meet in their classrooms on various days of the month.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

Wonderful!! I joined a "group" once. ended up being two clicks. I wasn't in either. so I didn't go back.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:08 AM

I too looked on line for a guild. I chose the one closest to my house to go to first. I didn't really care for that one. I went for 6 months and never really felt like I was accepted into the group. I switched to a guilt that is further away. I drive 25 miles to go but felt welcomed from the minute I walked in the door. I have been a member of that guild for almost 3 years, I love it. Everyone is so friendly and nice. I look forward to the monthly meetings. A group of us go out to dinner before the meeting. I went to the retreat my second month and had an awesome time.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
I too looked on line for a guild. I chose the one closest to my house to go to first. I didn't really care for that one. I went for 6 months and never really felt like I was accepted into the group. I switched to a guilt that is further away. I drive 25 miles to go but felt welcomed from the minute I walked in the door. I have been a member of that guild for almost 3 years, I love it. Everyone is so friendly and nice. I look forward to the monthly meetings. A group of us go out to dinner before the meeting. I went to the retreat my second month and had an awesome time.
I don't know if this group goes to retreats or not but will probably find out some time. I THINK one or two of them have attended retreats and I'll probably go with them if I can (if it's not too far away, too expensive, etc.).
Old 07-06-2013, 06:31 AM

There's another morning guild at the Senior Center in Mooresville if you're interested. It meets the second Monday of each month. The next meeting is July 8th and we're having a picnic (inside). Would love to have you join us. We also have several different groups that meeting weekly for different things - charity quilts, etc.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:42 AM

It took me a year before joining a guild when. Started quilting five years ago. I was so lucky to have a morning guild that has about 300 members. We have had so many outstanding speakers over the last three years. I have also been so fortunate to have many guilds within an hours drive that have speakers and are open to non members taking their one or two day class with the visiting speaker. Even if you don't know if you want to join a guild go and pay the small fee for one time visit. The guilds around here charge three to five dollars for visiting guests. We do so many charity items from cuddle quilts, wounded warrior quilts, concert cancer pillow cases for children, placemats for meals on wheels, capes for Canine Companion are just a few. I volunteered each year for a different committee and it is rewarding and has inspired me each month with all the beautiful quilts, wearable art, and art quilts members share. Join. Or visit! Back to petting my fabrics and deciding on which ones to use next! Hugs all!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 AM

Glad you found one that will fit with your schedule. Our guild meets at night, which is fine with me since I don't work any longer. Otherwise, I would probably fall asleep in the meetings! I feel like you not only learn a lot, but feel a real connection with the other members. Enjoy! Mariah.