Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first memories of Quilts were.... >

My first memories of Quilts were....

My first memories of Quilts were....

Old 07-31-2011, 05:52 PM

phannie1, They are wonderful. I llove old quilts. Is that a scrappy bowtie? I love peoples gifted ideas for quilts. It never fails to amaze me.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by FayZ
phannie1, They are wonderful. I llove old quilts. Is that a scrappy bowtie? I love peoples gifted ideas for quilts. It never fails to amaze me.
My aunt called it a "Snowball" and that grandma had pieced it on paper then sewed to the snowball.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:48 AM

The first quilts i remember were the ones i slept under with my cousin Rhonda Gail. We always slept with the window cracked in the dead of winter because of the potbellied stove cooking us to death from the basement.

Later in life i found out that my greatgrandmother quilted alot. My mom's first quilt that she made was with greatgranny and was before she went to grade school. I am the proud owner of that one. The last quilt that greatgranny made was a double wedding ring for my grandmothers wedding which never happened. Guy got her pregnant and ran off to NC. She later died in a car accident when my mommwas 18 months. I have the two most important quilts from my mom. In return i made her and daddy Nap quilts. They don't know but i've got a beauty i'm working on.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:13 AM
Power Poster

My two uncles worked at a cemetary. Whenever they cleaned up a grave site they saved the ribbons. I can remember my uncle coming home one day and all you could see when he came in the door were ribbons of every color. My grandmother and aunt made beautiful colorful quilts with the ribbons using an old treadle sewing machine.