Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first traditional quilt,,,not going so well...frustrated!! >

My first traditional quilt,,,not going so well...frustrated!!

My first traditional quilt,,,not going so well...frustrated!!

Old 12-05-2010, 04:09 PM

I thought that was what was SUPPOSED to happen!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 PM

As everyone has said...it happens to all of us. I have been known to put a project away for weeks and start another, then go back to it and it worked out fine.
Take a deep breath and it will be ok. and you still have plenty of time to get it done by Christmas.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 PM

I haven't read the whole thread of responses, but you can look at it this way. It's better that the pieces are larger than needed. At least you can go back and trim what is extra. You may need to do less at one time and take it a little at a time. Actually I find that I do better if I cut a little, piece a little, press a little, then start the cycle again. It'll all get done in time. Put it aside for a couple of days and then go back to it. Trim enough pieces to make one Ohio Star. You'll see how proficient you'll get.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:51 PM

Don't fret, everybody has a bad day now and again. I think that your problem is probably your 1/4 inch seam, check it and adjust accordingly. Don't feel bad, this is the most common mistake in quilting. Keep your chin up, your sister-in-law will never notice a mistake. Every quilt I have given(even by beginning ones) has been received with great joy and acceptance. She'll love it. So keep going.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Occasionally, quilters have the problem of the bias sides of their pieces stretching a little during sewing.There are a few things you can do to minimise this:
Press your material, and don't vigorously iron it and/or starch it when you press it. Sometimes, if you think you will have trouble, you can stay-stitch just inside the bias edge. When you are piecing you can put a pin at the start and the end of the two edges you are sewing together so that you can ease in any stretched edge. Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:18 PM

well i hope this helps , my seam ripper and i have been known to be on a first name basis, when that happens i walk away from it for awhile!!!, also do you think you might be stretching your pieces while ironong them ? you should press them not iron back and forth,
just take a break and i also think have some CHOCOLATE it helps

Good Luck
Old 12-05-2010, 06:21 PM

I know there to be two truths to quilting...

She who sews, unsews.

Sometimes you just need to throw a project in the corner and walk away.

Throwing it into the corner gets out the frustration and walking away gives you a clear head when you come back. I even have a specific corner I throw things into when I'm too that point. I keep that corner cleaner than any spot in my studio so when something gets flung into that corner there isn't any dust or dirt or anything to get on it.

Good luck, it will get better.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 PM

I learned that "rip it" is a popular word when learning to quilt. And sewing it wrong is easy. Sometimes it's hard to stay focused on what you are doing. I have found that it's great to get together with a couple of other quilters and sew away for the day. Break for lunch and right back at it. And you learn from your mistakes and you learn from others.

Everyone makes mistakes - just keep quilting!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:56 AM

Well, on the bright side: at least you can pare down the too-large squares to match the others --- much better than if they'd all been too small! :o)
Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 AM

And great choice on the Ohio Star. It's such a nice block.