Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first traditional quilt,,,not going so well...frustrated!! >

My first traditional quilt,,,not going so well...frustrated!!

My first traditional quilt,,,not going so well...frustrated!!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:27 AM

Oh, my dear quilter I reach out to you!!!! I was so confused when I had cut and sewed correctly and when I came attach one to another, not even. I think it was my pressure foot. It was a quilt foot that had an edge on the right side that was "Suppose" to be the needed 1/4". It was hard to tell just where I was at when sewing. So I took a Sharpie and measured from the needle out 1/4" and marked the end of another pressure foot. This has worked really well. I got through the quilt and it is now done. Turned out really well. It was my second quilt.
Hang in there.
Rita
Old 12-06-2010, 03:25 PM

The only person who has not found they've made a mistake is one that has never cut or sewn a quilt!! Be happy.. at least your squares that are the wrong size are too big.. it's a lot more of a problem if you had cut some too small! Just set it aside tonight.. and tomorrow when you get up you'll be able to fix the too big squares and then everything will go smoother.. We'll be looking for a happy update.. you'll love doing an Ohio Star once things start falling in place!

That is the one big problem with a June Taylor ruler.. if you happen to get your blade in the wrong slot, you've got several pieces all cut wrong. But I love mine and use it all the time.. such a time saver unless you really goof up and have to go buy more fabric!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:34 PM

Yesterday was a sew/ rip / sew again day for me.

Unfortunately, I was only trying to do a candle mat that is 12x12. The third time was a charm.... but wow... I feel your pain.

Keep sewing!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:35 PM

That's how you learn new skills. As you go along, each square will get a bit easier and don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure your quilt will be a beauty when you get it finished.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 PM

some days i just cant think right and then right out of the blue something that couldnt go right makes since it is right to just walk away and then take a fresh look at it
Old 12-07-2010, 04:32 AM

What is FMQ please. I guess the "Q" is for quilting but the F and M have me guessing.

Thank you from Gleniveve
Old 12-07-2010, 04:35 AM
Banned

Oh honey, I'm right there with you! I know today will be a ton better!!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:28 AM

Hang in there. :)
Old 12-07-2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gleniveve
What is FMQ please. I guess the "Q" is for quilting but the F and M have me guessing.

Thank you from Gleniveve
I don't do it,but I think the FMQ means Free Motion Quilting.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:00 PM

Thanks, ladies, for all of your kind thoughts. I am back on the right track now. My problem was twofold. One, I just plain read my ruler wrong when I out out one fabric, and, two, I was expecting all of my points to line up exactly.

Now I double check my ruler, and my points are almost all lined up, but the one or two that aren't....well, they are not noticeable by anyone but me. I seem to have this belief that if I pin two seams exactly, that is how it should end up when I have sewn them. Unfortunately, sometimes they just don't.

I use a foot that guides my 1/4 seams, so that was not my problem. I have used only one ruler, so that wasn't my problem. The problem in both cases was me.

BUT, I have learned a lot. I didn't know how to make quarter square triangles until I tried this Ohio Star pattern...and I didn't know how to...and this may be something that works just for me....start sewing about one inch down if I am connecting a corner that has seams there already....then I turn the square over and sew that last inch from the other direction. It just works for me. I also learned that I have a 4 1/2 inch square ruler that works wonderfully for these quarter square triangles. I always wondered what that ruler was for!! I think it must have been a gift, as I don't normally buy a ruler that I don't need.

I now have ten squares done, and they are beautiful. I will easily finish way before Christmas, and I am no longer frustrated...for now. :)

Thanks again.