Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first trip home to America as a quilter >

My first trip home to America as a quilter

My first trip home to America as a quilter

Old 05-28-2011, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fabricnut
Originally Posted by alikat110
Bring an empty suitcase to fill with all the goodies you get to buy!!!!
For sure bring an empty suitcase. I have been known to mail my dirty clothes home so I could fill my suitcase with new fabrics.
I like it! lol.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:15 AM

My hometown is Mannheim and I have planned a trip back in August. After living in the States for many, many years, I was hoping to find some interesting fabric there. I guess I will have to be content with my stash :-(
Old 05-28-2011, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by mannem
My hometown is Mannheim and I have planned a trip back in August. After living in the States for many, many years, I was hoping to find some interesting fabric there. I guess I will have to be content with my stash :-(
I live in Mannheim and the only "quilt shop" in the area is the one on PHV. It serves and a scrapbook/quiltins store. I'm sure there are others but they are geared towards supporting seamtresses and tailors in the area. I love Europe but my hobby is so very limited there.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:23 AM

Lots of beautiful fabrics wherever you go. Just remember to get some background prints, you'll need them as well as the eye catchers.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder
Lots of beautiful fabrics wherever you go. Just remember to get some background prints, you'll need them as well as the eye catchers.
Ok. I will but what are background prints? Are "eye catchers" the focus fabric?
Old 05-28-2011, 03:34 AM

Oh I'm soooooooooo envious! The one and only QS here is very expensive, they do have a lot of fabric but nothing goes under about $ 18/yard. I don't want to spend that much money so I'm always looking for fabric in other places. I would love to go to a LQS, take a class and do all the fun stuff.

Can't you shop over there for me too? I have a huge wishlist :D
Old 05-28-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
Bring an empty suitcase to fill with all the goodies you get to buy!!!!
--------------------------------
Doesn't UPS ship to Germany? You can ship it right before you leave and be there to pick it up.

Have fun. And don't forget to stop at at least one Salvation Army or any thrift store your friends know well.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:41 AM

Good idea to bring an empty suitcase. The first time my husband went "home" to Macedonia, he had to buy a suitcase there to bring back all the gifts he bought. I was just thinking that if you buy a lot of batts, you won't have so much room for fabric. Why not ship them to save room for fabrics? Or have 2 suitcases!! Have fun loading up. And thanks for your service!
Sue
Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 AM

Oh, I forgot--my DGD is also named Sienna. Don't see that name too often. She is 10 and loves to sew.
Sue
Old 05-28-2011, 06:02 AM

with the high cost of overweight baggage, I would buy what you want and then mail it home to you in Germany!! You will have nice surpirses waiting for you when you get home....like having another vacation!!

instead of buying yards, I personally, would buy a million fat quarters and think of making scrappy style quilts. a pattern that calls for 2 yards of ''red'' fabric, will look so much more interesting with 8 different tone on tone red fabrics!!! JMO but when you buy FQ, you really do get a lot of color/pattern choices for your money. at the price of about 2.00 each, they still average out to 8-10.00 a yard....which is the going price for a yard. if you find a good Walmart that carries fabric, you can go crazy buying yards and yards for about 5.00 a yard...I know, I've done it!!!!!!! you need to feel and look at the Walmart fabric.....sometimes it isn't the ''best'' but then I've found some fabric at the high end LQS stores that isn't very good either. don't get in a hurry and if it doesn't feel good when you put in on the cutting table..put it back on the shelf.

you can cram a LOT into a box and altho the postage may be high, it will be a lot cheaper than the execcive weight charged by the airlines. just be sure to put all the fabric into a good plastic bag before putting it into the box and PLEASE write the mailiing address in BIG CLEAR RED LETTERS maybe 2 inches tall....it will make it very easy for the mail carrier to see and red is an important color....it mean business!!!! then COVER the entire address in clear tape ( nothing worse than an address runing in the rain........had that happen ) and be sure to use a lot of tape on the sides, top and bottom of the box....again, nothing worse than a box ripping open and spilling your treasures out.

enjoy you time and happy fabric hunting!!!!! you will be the envy of all your fabric friends when you get home!!

jodi