Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first trip home to America as a quilter >

My first trip home to America as a quilter

My first trip home to America as a quilter

Old 05-28-2011, 07:25 AM

Hi Erika, I am in Mansfield, Ohio and have never been to the festival in Columbus. But there is an Amish Community called Berlin in Ohio that is North East of Columbus. It has a quilt museum, store, and it has lighthouse galore. I went through there on my way home from VA. It is like a quilting village. It is a must see!!
Old 05-28-2011, 07:59 AM

Thank you for your service to our countries freedom. I was in the service and spent 2 yrs in Miesau, Germany. Wasn't a quilter then, I gues that is a good thing. Wear a name tag to the Columbus show so if I make it down there I will be able to spot you and introduce myself. I know what it is like to be gone from home for a long period of time. Embelish, trips home is so infrequent. Where are you going to be exactly? My daughter lives in Columbus.

If you have oportunity get into the live chat here and talk to other quilters all over. Have a wonderful time with gd.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Pattycakes
Hi Erika, I am in Mansfield, Ohio and have never been to the festival in Columbus. But there is an Amish Community called Berlin in Ohio that is North East of Columbus. It has a quilt museum, store, and it has lighthouse galore. I went through there on my way home from VA. It is like a quilting village. It is a must see!!

I've been to the quilt site for a store in Berlin. I will try to make it there.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
Originally Posted by candlequilter
Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
I am going on leave in two weeks for two weeks and I am so excited. I can't wait to see my granddaughter Sienna because I haven't seen her since she was 7 months. She's now 2. I am also giddy because I have never been to a quilt shop in the U.S. Oh, I've seen pictures, I read the stories and I shop for stuff online so I just know that I am in for a treat when I go home. I have been so caught up in the European experience that I never gave thought about coming home to do anything other then see my little Si-Si until I became a quilter. Now I feel as if I am missing out on the ultimate experience. I have never been to a quilt-in, took classes, mingled with like minded people, do a shop hop in person, trade blocks, belong to a guild, visited other quilters, see a real stash etc. Have you ever tried buying sewing furniture, fabric and notions in Germany? There is a little here and a little there but not much for quilters to really get into it. I am going to my first quilt festival in Columbus, OH in a little over two weeks. Please quilters answer this: If you were in my shoes what as a quilter I MUST see and do in Atlanta and Columbus? ~Erika.
I am so happy for you that you get to come home and see your granddaughter! Wish you were coming closer to the Pacific Northwest I would try and meet with you to go to some of those quilt shops with you. Anyway I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy every last second of your 2 weeks here. I will be waiting to hear all the wonderful stories of your vacation.

Thanks and take care,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Thanks and I might be able to take you up on your offer in the future. My friend is stationed at Lewis-McChord. I don't know how far that is from you but...have car will travel. lol.
Please keep me in mind if you do ever go to Lewis-McChord as it is fairly close to me and I would meet you there anytime.

Hugs,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 05-28-2011, 03:27 PM

Columbus also has Quilt Beginnings, which looks like a fabulous place. Or, if you get out to Dublin, they have a branch there as well. And, The Glass Thimble.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
Columbus also has Quilt Beginnings, which looks like a fabulous place. Or, if you get out to Dublin, they have a branch there as well. And, The Glass Thimble.
Thanks! I will hit those places up. I love the quilt in your avatar. It is gorgeous.