Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Juki is throwing a fine black dust on quilt!!!  Yikes! >

My Juki is throwing a fine black dust on quilt!!! Yikes!

My Juki is throwing a fine black dust on quilt!!! Yikes!

Old 04-01-2022, 07:31 AM

Default Anyone have this happen?? My machine is brand new !

Originally Posted by itsmesuzq View Post
This is my first post and I searched for this answer but found none so far. I hope someone can answer me. <gulp> I've been quilting my first big quilt on my Juki TLQ98E; it seems to be leaving a fine layer of black oil/dust when I run in on a fast speed. I thought maybe I had to much pressure on the presser foot but that didn't help, then I cleaned everything (again), oiled it (again) and in general spent about an hour trying to clear this up. I'm doing straight lines up and down so it would be great if I can go a little faster than normal...but you can imagine my horror when I look to a thin spatter of oily black "stuff" when I'm done. Some of it comes off when I use the sticky roller, but I'm really hoping that it will come out when I wash it.

Anyway, has anyone ever had this happen and what did they do? It doesn't say anything about this kind of problem in the manuel and I looked online (Goggled the problem) and I didn't find anyone having that problem either. A sincere thank you to anyone who knows what I'm doing wrong. I am new to this machine (I LOVE it by the way) so it I'm hoping it's just "me" and not the machine. ~LOL~
my brand new Juki is doing the same thing!! Anyone find an answer to this problem??
Old 04-02-2022, 02:07 AM

You are using sewing machine oil, aren't you? It should he either clear or a light golden color. Always run a scrap piece of fabric immediately after oiling for a minute or two to help catch any splatter. Don't over oil.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:35 AM

I'm betting it is not an oil problem. I had the same problem over a year ago when my 2010q was brand new. Lots of people apparently experienced the same thing. I contacted Juki USA in Florida and verified my serial number and purchase date and they sent a new walking foot covered under warranty. It seems there was a batch of walking feet that were faulty and they had replaced many. Give them a call and I'm sure they will rectify the problem.

Cheers!
Tamme
Old 04-02-2022, 04:23 AM

Default Juki throwing metal dust

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
You are using sewing machine oil, aren't you? It should he either clear or a light golden color. Always run a scrap piece of fabric immediately after oiling for a minute or two to help catch any splatter. Don't over oil.

it’s brand new - I haven’t had to oil it yet—I just started sewing on it and it was doing this.
should I oil again?( it would have come oiled though? And I’ve maybe sewn a couple hours worth tops)
Old 04-04-2022, 03:46 AM

We're you using a walking foot. If yes, take previous advice and ask for a new walking foot. Sounds like that is the problem.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:52 AM

Contact Juki support at [email protected] or ph 305 594-0059.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:57 AM

Until you know what that balck stuff is, I woud remove all the black stuff from the quilt before washing. Those tiny little things may bleed, stain, even melt in the dryer.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

I was going to suggest it could be carbon dust from motor brushes that need to be replaced. But, after reading all the posts, it sounds like it's a walking foot issue. I have the 2010Q and don't use a walking foot ever, because it's too noisy. So maybe that's why I haven't had this problem.
Old 04-05-2022, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I was going to suggest it could be carbon dust from motor brushes that need to be replaced. But, after reading all the posts, it sounds like it's a walking foot issue. I have the 2010Q and don't use a walking foot ever, because it's too noisy. So maybe that's why I haven't had this problem.
One of my FMQ feet was really noisy. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I'd just had the machine serviced and it wasn't noisy with the straight stitch foot on. Turns out the FMQ foot needed oiling. Nice and quiet now.

I only used the walking foot for my 2200 QVP Mini (2010 equivalent) once and wasn't really a fan. I got the machine mostly to FMQ and I think I'll stick with that.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 04-05-2022 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:55 PM

Default It’s the walking foot

Originally Posted by Fivekatzandaquilt View Post
it’s brand new - I haven’t had to oil it yet—I just started sewing on it and it was doing this.
should I oil again?( it would have come oiled though? And I’ve maybe sewn a couple hours worth tops)

found out it’s the walking foot— they’re replacing it 😊