Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My pesty kitties and work surfaces >

My pesty kitties and work surfaces

My pesty kitties and work surfaces

Old 09-17-2010, 09:22 AM
CRH

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
Originally Posted by cjomomma
When I had cats they were trained not to get on counters, tables and dressers. They knew they could lazy around on the beds and couches. It is just a matter of training them not too.
OK, I am laughing so hard here....
I thought that zzyzx the cat was 'trained' not to jump on the kitchen counters, etc. too. She always had a collar on her with a bell, so that I would know where she was & wouldn't step on her.) One day I happened to walk into the kitchen ~ must have been walking very softly ~ and caught her on the counter! Never did figure out how she jumped up there without ringing the bell!!!
What she was *actually* trained to do, was not be on any of the tables or countertops when I was looking !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by CRH
Originally Posted by zyxquilts
When I had cats they were trained not to get on counters, tables and dressers. They knew they could lazy around on the beds and couches. It is just a matter of training them not too.
OK, I am laughing so hard here....
I thought that zzyzx the cat was 'trained' not to jump on the kitchen counters, etc. too. She always had a collar on her with a bell, so that I would know where she was & wouldn't step on her.) One day I happened to walk into the kitchen ~ must have been walking very softly ~ and caught her on the counter! Never did figure out how she jumped up there without ringing the bell!!!
What she was *actually* trained to do, was not be on any of the tables or countertops when I was looking !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My cats have always been trained to stay off counters and dining tables. Still, sometimes when I approach, I hear them hit the floor as they jump off of something. Our old kitty, who's no longer with us, got a little dingy in her old age. (Just like the rest of us.) Sometimes I'd walk into the dining room and see her lounging on the table as bold as you please. I don't know if it was because she felt more entitled in her old age or if she didn't know the difference. I have the feeling it was the former.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:29 PM

Cat nip is part of the mint family. I wonder if that is why some kitties like it.

[quote=Bev]
Originally Posted by cr12cats
I forgot wanted to suggest cats don't like mint so plant some mint on the side of a potted plant or a cotton balled saturated with mint oil or lemon oil or juice. quote/]

Once I tried to grow mint in a couple of pots in the kitchen window. My cat kept chewing it to the dirt. He would smell like mint for a day or so after. It was then that we all knew the mint was being grown for HIM, not us. Needless to say mint growing in our house was not at all successful! :roll:
Old 09-17-2010, 03:33 PM

You made my day with this story. I'm still laughing!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:44 PM

I normally don't allow them in my sewing room. one is let in occasionally because he just lays on my computer desk or in my chair. the other two just get into everything. i had one once that tried to "catch" the needle as it went up and down. i was scared that she would hurt her paw so i chased her out.
We use a pop can with pennies in it. Shake it hard and say no. the trick in training is to make it uncomfortable enough for them that it sticks in their mind-i didn't like that spot. Our first couple of cats were bathed in the kitchen sink-even if you were holding them and ventured too close, they would claw and scrabble to get away. one had jumped up on the stove after the burners were off but still hot(unknown to us til we saw her paw kind of peeling) She wouldn't get anywhere near there. the can seems to work for tables and such-if you see them, but i have one that likes to stretch out with her claws in the furniture corners. haven't been able to break her of that yet. Darn!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 PM

This thing about cats is such a hoot! I have two who are litter mates and just over a year old. Puddles and Patches (a calico) think they have to be with me wherever I am in the house. I go to the bathroom, they go to the bathroom with me. Pudd likes to get on my kitchen counter tops but just let me reach for a bottle (hand lotion dish detergent) and say 'down' and away he goes. The mist from the spray isn't much but isn't something he likes but yet he'll drink water from a running faucet - not up where it comes out but down by the drain with the water running over his head. Cats are far from dumb animals. They've trained me and my husband used to think I was untrainable. Ha! Little did he know how easy it was but the cats knew! They are such good company.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:40 PM

Too funny, I thought I had Gracie trained and one day I sneeked home and there she was on the table. She immediately jumped down once she saw me knowing she was busted.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:49 AM

What she was *actually* trained to do, was not be on any of the tables or countertops [i] when I was looking [/

This reminds me of our first dog, Mitzie. She was very well trained, but if you came down stairs very quietly in the morning sometimes you could see her sneaking off the couch.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:29 AM

My sewing room is also my dinning room. I've found cat hairs (black) on quilts that were in process. I have learned to drape my quilts over the back of the chairs to prevent the cat from sleeping on them. I also fold my ironing board and stand in a corner when not in use. Other than that, sticky roller sheets.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:12 AM

One of my kitties has several pieces of fabric that he considers lovies and gets them out and drags them around the house. So they are now his.
I baby sit my great granddaughter and I have a small quilt that I lay in the floor for her and my cat drags his lovey up next to it so he can be baby too.
He is the one in my avitar.
I have to wash all my quilts once they are finished, with four cats it is impossible to keep the hair off.