Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: My pesty kitties and work surfaces

Blog Entries
    This thing about cats is such a hoot! I have two who are litter mates and just over a year old. Puddles and Patches (a calico) think they have to be with me wherever I am in the house. I go to the bathroom, they go to the bathroom with me. Pudd likes to get on my kitchen counter tops but just let me reach for a bottle (hand lotion dish detergent) and say 'down' and away he goes. The mist from the spray isn't much but isn't something he likes but yet he'll drink water from a running faucet - not up where it comes out but down by the drain with the water running over his head. Cats are far from dumb animals. They've trained me and my husband used to think I was untrainable. Ha! Little did he know how easy it was but the cats knew! They are such good company.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    When I had cats they were trained not to get on counters, tables and dressers. They knew they could lazy around on the beds and couches. It is just a matter of training them not too.
    Too funny, I thought I had Gracie trained and one day I sneeked home and there she was on the table. She immediately jumped down once she saw me knowing she was busted.

Blog Entries
    What she was *actually* trained to do, was not be on any of the tables or countertops [i] when I was looking [/

This reminds me of our first dog, Mitzie. She was very well trained, but if you came down stairs very quietly in the morning sometimes you could see her sneaking off the couch.

My sewing room is also my dinning room. I've found cat hairs (black) on quilts that were in process. I have learned to drape my quilts over the back of the chairs to prevent the cat from sleeping on them. I also fold my ironing board and stand in a corner when not in use. Other than that, sticky roller sheets.

One of my kitties has several pieces of fabric that he considers lovies and gets them out and drags them around the house. So they are now his.
    I baby sit my great granddaughter and I have a small quilt that I lay in the floor for her and my cat drags his lovey up next to it so he can be baby too.
    He is the one in my avitar.
    I have to wash all my quilts once they are finished, with four cats it is impossible to keep the hair off.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I can only sugest being consistant with putting them down, kinda like we are when raseing children. God bless.

OK, everyone. I can't believe that no one has tried this: Use 3 or 4 inch wide masking tape. Lay two or three strips, sticky side up, on the area where you don't want your cats. When they jump up on the tape and it sticks (rather well) to their feet and fur, they will think twice about getting up on that surface again. So, for my kitchen counter, I cut the tape about 18 to 24 inches long and lay them along the entire lenght of the counter, two or three deep, right on the edge (hope this makes sense)so when they jump up they land on the tape.

The best part is when it happens, you are not in the room and they can't figure out what happened; and you don't look like 'the bad guy.'

Three of my cats only needed one lesson, and the fourth one needed a reminder about once a year. Much easier then carrying around a spray bottle.

I found that life in the sewing area is better when I don't tell them "no", but give them a space of their own so they can 'help' right next to the action, rather than in the middle of it.

For the rest, cover your machines and WIP's and use lots of lint rollers. And at the end of the day, hug your assistant.

I didn't know this was possible

I have water pistols in various spots around my house. When I remember to use them, they work well. Neither of my cats likes them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    One of my kitties has several pieces of fabric that he considers lovies and gets them out and drags them around the house. So they are now his.
    I baby sit my great granddaughter and I have a small quilt that I lay in the floor for her and my cat drags his lovey up next to it so he can be baby too.
    He is the one in my avitar.
    I have to wash all my quilts once they are finished, with four cats it is impossible to keep the hair off.
    That's funny about the "lovie." I used to have a cat that would drag around used socks. Always found socks in the livingroom, behind the chair or couch, under the computer table, anywhere but the bedroom.

I put aluminum foil down where I don't want mine to be...they do not like the feel of it. You might want to try it :-D

Quote Originally Posted by vschieve
    That is Peaches; he is the sweetest kitty you could ever imagine. I have two others; his sister Cuddles and then a big gray and white long hair that looks just like a Norwegian Forest cat. His name is Fella and he is 6 years old. Peaches and Cuddles are three. P & C were rescued from the nursing home where my dad is in Dripping Springs. The whole litter were orange and whites and I found homes for four of them. The other one looked exactly like Peaches but was the biggest in the litter. I am sure someone grabbed him too for they were the most adorable kittens.

The one cat that is most persistant with getting on my stuff is my Norwegian Forrest cat...

Memmett
    Name:  Attachment-90977.jpe
Views: 8
Size:  30.1 KB

JustBonnie2-one of my Maine Coons loves wool socks and i had bought some wool sock yarn and she ran off with the whole skein! she doesn't chew it , but she rubs against it and rolls on it. it's really funny to watch.
    Wholehog- i knew about the tape,but i used contact paper. they don't counter cruise much anymore,but i have a furnitue clawer.
    blzzrdqueen- I love your Norwegion! they are a lot like the Maine Coons aren't they? Big, soft and lovable!

Quote Originally Posted by sewmom
    JustBonnie2-one of my Maine Coons loves wool socks and i had bought some wool sock yarn and she ran off with the whole skein! she doesn't chew it , but she rubs against it and rolls on it. it's really funny to watch.
    Wholehog- i knew about the tape,but i used contact paper. they don't counter cruise much anymore,but i have a furnitue clawer.
    blzzrdqueen- I love your Norwegion! they are a lot like the Maine Coons aren't they? Big, soft and lovable!
    Omg yes!!! He loves to be pet roughly, and he's got such a loud purr! His breed is the the 2nd largest (size), Maine Coons are the largest...I love him!

Blog Entries
    on our last cat I used a squirt gun with just a smidgen of vinegar in it...just enough so they get the smell...they don't like it. I'd squirt them and they would run for cover and not try to jump up again...

Fella is pretty head strong too. When I am sewing, especially when I am sewing, he comes and meows quite verbally to me. I let him jump up in my lap, big as he is and he is so lovable. He is jealous of me paying attention to my sewing machines and not giving him the attention.

Fella
    Name:  Attachment-91694.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  28.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Fella has such a beautiful face!!!!!!
    I'm LOVIN this thread :D:D

His eyes are really green in the middle around the pupil. I love this cat!!! (Talking about Fella) But Peaches in the window is adorable too. His reddish orange hair and golden eyes almost match.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    To be honest I find beauty in each and every single cat! So whoever posts pics I love them :D:D
    I was NOT a cat lover until I met my husband and I can't tell you how happy I am that I discovered them. We were a dog family growing up and our only cat, Snippy, scratched me when I was about 4 and after that I didn't like cats the rest of my childhood.
    Today is a whole different story!!! lol

Blog Entries
    :thumbup: Instead of fighting the cats and their detritus, take the path of least resistance. When you're not sewing cover all the work areas they love to lie around on by draping pretty "covering-dedicated" fabric. That way you just remove it each time when you are ready to sew. No presewing messy cleanup and you can periodically wash all the covers together.
    Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    I have 4 cats, all of whom like to lay on top of high surfaces, like tables and ironing boards. I make them shoo off of these surfaces several times daily. My sewing room is my dining room, and I have my mini ironing board and my cutting mat and my box of current fabrics on my table and my sewing machine on a smaller desk. I'm forced to wipe down my surfaces and lint roll my ironing boards and I'm simply too lazy to put things away. How do you keep your kitties off work surfaces and ironing boards and where ever else they may lay?

Blog Entries
    LoL....What a wonderful mental picture!
    Quote Originally Posted by wholehog
    OK, everyone. I can't believe that no one has tried this: Use 3 or 4 inch wide masking tape. Lay two or three strips, sticky side up, on the area where you don't want your cats. When they jump up on the tape and it sticks (rather well) to their feet and fur, they will think twice about getting up on that surface again. So, for my kitchen counter, I cut the tape about 18 to 24 inches long and lay them along the entire lenght of the counter, two or three deep, right on the edge (hope this makes sense)so when they jump up they land on the tape.

The best part is when it happens, you are not in the room and they can't figure out what happened; and you don't look like 'the bad guy.'

Three of my cats only needed one lesson, and the fourth one needed a reminder about once a year. Much easier then carrying around a spray bottle.

I found that life in the sewing area is better when I don't tell them "no", but give them a space of their own so they can 'help' right next to the action, rather than in the middle of it.

For the rest, cover your machines and WIP's and use lots of lint rollers. And at the end of the day, hug your assistant.

I LOVE THE CAT PICTURES.

Get a sheet of aluminum foil and put it on the surfaces. Cats hate the rattling of the paper when they walk on it and usually will soon decide they shouldn't be on that surface any more.

I learned the hard way not to let them lay on top of my computer tower. Hair got inside and fried my motherboard!! Now I keep tons of things piled on it so the cats can't fit anymore.

Have yet to keep them off my quilting stuff. I like the sheet idea. I may try that.

Now I can tell my husband that all those papers piled on top of the computer tower are there for a purpose.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast