Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My sister...feeling out of sorts???

Yes, I think making it for her will make you feel happy and I bet she will love it when you gave it to her.

Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    I don't know what you would call it. I am almost done with the quilt I am making for my niece. I have 2 sisters. I asked the one sister and she was tickled with the idea I thought enough to make her a quilt. She asked if I needed anything towards making it, I told her no. I am making it because I love you. I asked colors etc and told her I would get back to her.
    Sis 2. I said to her, that I am going to make quilts for only family and I would love to make her a quilt if she wanted one. She said sure, how long is it going to take? I said I can't put a time on it, it's lots of work and hours. I told her I have some things on my list to make for others and to think of colors, things etc. She called back we talked, she said well, I like country, but, her boyfriend likes skulls, crossbones, things like that, could you make it half and half. Yikes!! I told her I did not think so, but, I could make you a single quilt country and him one with skulls if I could find them. She then said no, how bout black, red, and white. OK could do that's good to work with.
    Last time we went to Texas to visit DH family I went fabric shopping for my sisters quilt. I looked and looked and could not find anything appropriate. I wanted to leave the fabric store, but, DH went over and picked out some solid, red, black, white and some pretty flowered to go with it. Joy!! I was happy finally found something nice. I put the fabric up on facebook so she could see it. She says "it's nice but all those flowers" can't you put something country in there? She mentioned it again yesterday and I told her no I could not, and fabric is not cheap to come by.
    I was ready to abondon a plan I had for hers, but, DH told me, go ahead and make it, it's from your heart, you know she has never been appricaitive of anything.
    You think I should still make it??

Go ahead and make it.. but do a very simple pattern that won't take a lot of your time.

I love your color choices and prints and I( don't even like red/white/black

Personally, I wouldn't bother. I have people in my family who are the same way. You do something kind for them and they treat it like it doesn't matter anyway. I prefer making quilts for people, friends and family that will love it no matter what cause I made for them and with them in mind. I ALSO NEVER TELL WHEN I AM MAKING A QUILT because the surprise is beyond words. To catch them totally off guard like that is priceless. I just pick colors that I know they would like.

I feel that when you let others choose the fabrics and the style, you are putting a reign on your creativity as a quilter. One sister I have. I wouldn't bother doing anything for because she would not take care of it anyway.

She told you black, red and white, you bought the fabric go for it with what you purchased.

I'm sorry that your sister's insensitivity hurt your feelings. I would make a quilt using the red, white, and black fabric because you already have it. I agree with many of the board members about having your sister purchase fabric and a pattern she likes. She probably has no idea how expensive fabric is, so it might be an eye opening experience for her. Then your sister would hopefully not expect you to make her boyfriend a quilt too. You can only guess what country theme she may be referring to.

I would make it only if I knew she would keep it and use it. If not, all the time and money you put in it would be wasted because she wouldn't use it. And you will end up with hurt feelings if you know she gave it away.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I think that you should go ahead and make it with an old fashioned, country type of block. Or perhaps you could back it with large squares of country colors so that it would be reversible??
    That would be a great idea!!! Reversible!!! Best of both worlds :)

[quote=Ripped on Scotch]If you cut it up enough she'll never really know that its flowers. I wouldnt worry about it plus if She doens't like it you can always keep it for yourself.

I agree with Ripped on Scotch - if you cut it up the flowers won't be recognized. I did this for a quilt for my BIL and even I didn't recognize some of the designs (wich was good because I was using material I really didn't care for but was given to me and free is usable too).

Eagerbeez....mayeb she is like me....I have a problem looking at fabric (I don't care for a lot of flowers either)...the fabric will look different once it is cut/pieced together and complete. My mom has made my family some wonderful quilts and I think every single one has a flower print in it...but looking at the finished product is totally different than look at a yard of fabric.

I say make the quilt...let her see the finished product...if she doesn't like it, keep it for yourself or give it to another family member you know would appreciate it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    You think I should still make it??
    NO!!! Since she hasn't liked any of your picks, tell her if she wants a quilt she should go buy the material she likes, and then you will make something from it. Give her a yardage amount to buy for the size she wants.

Why work on something that is going to be received in such a manner it will hurt your feelings and ruin your pleasure in the giving. If she is, as DH says, critical of everything you do, you need to pull up your big girl panties and just say NO. No one can take advantage of you without your permission.
    AMEN!

Quote Originally Posted by DA Mayer
    Whatever you do, don't make it to please her boyfriend because if they break up, she will be reminded everytime of him. Better that they each have their own quilt.
    I agree...these quilts are too much a labor of love to have one rejected because of a temporary relationship. Make her a quilt, she will always be your sister, but make it just for her with your love. If you have time, make a funky one for the boyfriend. He'll love it no matter what since it was made just for him.

Lovely You will be surprised how country it will look when you get it done I made one with the black and white prints you have here and a few others thinking it would never fit in my country home but it is beautiful there Both of you will be surprised

I'd make it and if she doesn't like it, I'd give it to someone who did or keep it myself.

Go ahead and make it for her. I find many people have a hard time visualizing the quilt just by looking at the fabrics. I love the fabric and I am sure she will love it too. Be sure and post a picture.

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    I agree...don't make it to fit boyfriends taste...he may not be in the picture later...

Those are pretty fabrics. You might want to put in some plaids also to make it alittle more country. That may be what she mean. I'm sure she will like it once its made.

Make if it makes you feel good, if she doesn't like it. I'll be your sister. Your choice of fabrics is great. Maybe she has no taste???

Consider this a lesson learned. If I ask for preferences at all, I ask for general color schemes. Other than that, I choose what I want to give that person. It's easier that way. I enjoy making it and they don't have a preconceived notion of what it should look like.:-)

Blog Entries
    Red center, black w/white logs, white w/ black logs, red border. What is more country than log cabins????? Good luck dear. You have my prayers for inspiration.

Blog Entries
    Yes you should, those are a very good combination.

I would make it and let her know it is only for her this time and
    he will get one later for his own. Maybe you could appliqué a
    black horse are something to the center for the country look.
    Just a thought. :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    I would make it and let her know it is only for her this time and
    he will get one later for his own. Maybe you could appliqué a
    black horse are something to the center for the country look.
    Just a thought. :D
    Or a skull in the middle for him....

Blog Entries
    I agree with everyone else, get her to find the fabric she wants and let her puchase it, and mail it to you, then make her a quilt
    and not worry about the boyfriend. After all many of them are like the "seasons, they just come and go". Make it for your sister and if boyfriend doesn't like it tough, it isn't for him anyway. Be sure to label it for your sis,with her name on it so bf can't claim it. If they stay together you can make him one later if you want. Just worry about your sis, and as others have said if she doesn't like it, you have only spent the long hours of time on it and not the $$, if she picks the fab. it's her choice of "country" not yours.
    Here's a suggestion. Make her a quilt from the denim, and bandana fab. I have a pattern for a pineapple quilt, I made for my son using denim and blue bandana fab.if you are interested, I will send you a copy, just p.m. me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
    Maybe this is a gift you sould hold off on for a while. When she asks about it, let her know you are in a quandry over it because you can't find "just" what she wants
    I agree. No way would I make a quilt out of fabrics she has said she does not like. In fairness to her, you did ask if she liked the fabrics, and if you were not prepared to hear a no, you shouldn't have asked!

On the other hand, I would not be killing myself trying to find what she does like either, since she seems to have no idea. Why not ask her to buy the fabric?

This has been on my mind since yesterday. I am in a similiar situation right now. I offered a family member a bed quilt for her wedding gift as opposed to a monetary gift. She chose the quilt. We met at my home to discuss colors, patterns, style, etc. I had many fabrics and photos and books for her to get ideas and choose from. She brought her finance(?),who offered no input. Basically she chose a classic sampler with blues, white and yellow. Excellent choice, I thought. A short time later she told me she would like some butterflies, flip flops, and the New York Yankees put into the quilt. I told her I could get butterfly fabric, some "beachy" fabric, and put a Yankees patch on the back of the quilt. I started making the blocks and emailed her photos-no reply. After weeks, I emailed again-no reply. After finally calling her she said she got the photos and thought they were "OK." I am so discouraged, and have lost interest in finishing this quilt as I feel my time and effort are not appreciated. That being said, I did offer to make her a quilt and gave her probably too much input. I will finish the quilt and give it to her to do with it what she will. When you give a gift you should give it with no strings. People that don't quilt have no idea of what making a quilt entails. With reagrd to your sisters quilt, your fabric choices are great. Take control of the situation, make it how you want, give it with love and then be done with it. As far as the skulls-no, no, no. The boyfriend probably won't outlast the quilt. Good luck.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast