Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My sister...feeling out of sorts???

She's already tried to tell you those flowered prints are not her style. If you are making the quilt to her liking (and why else would you make it?) you should make a few adjustments to your fabric selection. Save those florals for something else and shop for something like bandana fabric or something "country". Ask her if you aren't sure.
    Why go to the trouble to make something she wouldn't like?

Sorry but I would make hers last on the list of things to make

O.k. The main word here is appreciative your own husband said she has never been appreciative. How about making her a lap quilt and that way if and only ifffffffff you wanted too you could even make her boyfriend a skull lap quilt along with it. wallmart sells skull fabric as I am sure lots of places do. as for the fabric you bought" I happen to think it is absolutley gorouse and if she dosen't want it I would be veryyyyyy appreciative! Hon in all seriousness I learned a longggggggggg time ago there are those in life that cherish home made quilts along with all the time and love you put into them " those are the ones you make quilts forrrrrrrr and then there are those who do not appreciate one minute of time you spent and will most likely take all that hard work and shove it into a corner the minute you walk out the door so now I only make things for people that I knowwwwwwww will love them. Life is much too short to do anything else.

Blog Entries
    Hi, I will gladly trade places with your sister and accept a quilt made of those fabrics. YES! They are beautiful.

Once the fabric is cut, she won't even see the flowers! I'm not sure what country means, maybe scrappy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Only make her a quilt if making it will make you happy.
    what Lisa said!!!!!

i'll be your sister!!!!!!!!!!!!!! those fabrics are beautiful!!!!

I would make the quilt and if she still doesn't like it, I would keep it or donate it to a charity. When I think of Country, I think of Thimbleberries' fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    Yes, you should! The fabrics are lovely -- I love red, white and black.

Hmmm. What does she mean by 'country'? Can you keep your eyes open for a plaid or stripe that would support these fabrics?

Or, should you keep this one for yourself and make her a scrappy quilt? Maybe that would be more 'country'?
    Applique some chickens on the squares. Would that be country enough for her? Nothing like being specific....country. What does that mean, fence posts? Horses? Bluegrass guitars?

Why not make a quilt from the fabric as a gift for someone else; and get her the type of fabric she likes or else it will end up in the back of her closet. I have found over the years that our creativity is in choosing what to make whether for ouselves or someone else. That is why "custom" sewing is a PITA. People have no idea how much time and work goes into something. I make up quilted handbags and small quilts/wallhangings, etc. of what I think is beautiful. If people buy my taste, fine. If not, that's fine too. You will drive yourself crazy trying to please people ... especially relatives. Been there done that.

Quote Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
    Maybe this is a gift you sould hold off on for a while. When she asks about it, let her know you are in a quandry over it because you can't find "just" what she wants
    I think this is the best solution. Make the r/b/w one for yourself!

Very pretty fabric!

I love the fabric.

If she wants skulls - I have seen it entered into the ugly material contest- maybe everyone with skulls they do not like can PIF it to you so you can keep the lovely red/black one and make an ugly skull one for her. ( Laughing out loud)!

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    Yes, you should! The fabrics are lovely -- I love red, white and black.

Hmmm. What does she mean by 'country'? Can you keep your eyes open for a plaid or stripe that would support these fabrics?

Or, should you keep this one for yourself and make her a scrappy quilt? Maybe that would be more 'country'?
    I agree with making her a scrappy quilt, maybe with mostly red white and black and others mixed in?

Quote Originally Posted by Joan Gaddis
    i'll be your sister!!!!!!!!!!!!!! those fabrics are beautiful!!!!
    Agreed. When I first read "floral", I was a little concerned, but it isn't a what I'd consider to be a girly floral at all and the fabrics work wonderfully together.

I am getting the impression, maybe wrongly, that country, in the sister's context, has more to do with a country music feel - hence the cowboy fabric references, than what most of us would mean by country in a quilting sense.

Blog Entries
    Nice fabric. Go ahead and make it as it will make you feel good.

j
    Tell her to buy the material and then perhaps she will get a feel for what it costs, let alone working on it time. Then you will have only spent time on it and if she doesn't like it. Its her fault. == J

Those fabrics are very pretty. I have a sister much like yours. Maybe it would have been better just to surprise her and not ask fr any input. I'm sure though, whatever you come up with it will be gorgeous. And how nice that you have such a supportive husband.

I am sorry to say that is she say up front she doesn't like the fabric she probably won't use the quilt and you will go to all that work for nothing. If you want to make the quilt for yourself I would do that and ask her to find some fabric she likes.

Blog Entries
    How much more country can you get than flowers. Make it for yourself and put together a scrappy quilt of nine squares or something and that will be country.

oh my goodness - I absolutely love those colors! Can you make a log cabin with them? Maybe you should ask her what exactly she means by "country". good luck! :)

If it makes you happy to make her one - by all means do so.

The world is divided into two groups of people - quilters and non-quilters. For the most part, non-quilters do not have a clue as to the work and expense that goes into making a quilt. We quilters can complain and whine after it's given away only to find the recipient used it as a dog blanket....but once it's given away, it's not ours any more. A friend of mine told me to let go - and just remember how you felt when you put it together. And if it isn't joy - don't give it away to that person...instead, give it to someone else.

I really like that advice...

Blog Entries
    I think your colors and fabrics will make a lovely quilt! I agree with your hubby that you are making it from your heart and it you decide later that it might not suit her keep it as a gift for yourself and then make a scrappy log cabin for your sister from your stash.

Blog Entries
    make it ...do simple pattern,,easy for youself....minimum quilting easy meander or something....will be pretty and she will love it.....or not,,,but your heart is big enough for u both.... :lol: :thumbup:

nab
    Sisters are sisters. I had 3 and now have 2. I would make it with what you have, which are great. If she does not like it, it is her loss. I am lucky because my sisters like my quilted treasures.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast