Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Viking Quilt Designer II needs major repairs >

My Viking Quilt Designer II needs major repairs

My Viking Quilt Designer II needs major repairs

Old 12-03-2014, 05:50 AM

My first quilting machine was the Viking Quilter ll, bought from local dealer. When I brought it in for tune up after first year the repairman really messed it up. Finally found a dealer 1 1/2 hrs away but he fixed it so it was better than new. Then my A card became invalid or would not work. This part is no longer made by Viking! So I bought a new machine. But I did find that exact card on eBay for $40! Recently I brought the machine back to my repair guy for tune up. So now I have 2 machines in good working order at least for a while!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by PatPitter View Post
I bought this machine with the embroidery unit in 2007. It spent a few months in the shop not long after I bought it because of some problems. I haven't used it a lot. It was in the shop this time last year. That ended up costing me $200. A few weeks ago it decided to only sew in reverse. Just got the call from the shop $500+ to fix it !!

I still have my Pfaff 7510 from the late 1990's that works great. I use a Viking Mega Quilter for machine quilting.

I don't have the money to sink another $500 in the QD. I'm so upset. I didn't use it a lot for embroidery but wanted to get back into that.

I'm thinking I should just sell the accessories and embroidery cards I have for it and then sell the machine for parts.

I hate to say this - but I would not sink another PENNY into this.......the card reader technology was old even in 2006.....everything was USB sticks because that is when I bought my first computerized machine ( a floor model Designer SE that was being replaced a year later with the Designer Diamond)......

There are SALES GALORE - interest free financing........I know the local Viking Gallery store has the Ruby on sale - and that machine stitches beautifully for piecing as well as the embroideries.........and with 48 months at 0 percent interest - you would be surprised how quickly it gets paid off.........and the REALLY good thing is all of your feet will fit the Ruby as well as all of your hoops.........go check one out......they may even have a floor model ( read another 10% off )........

Good LUCK!!

Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:33 AM
shy

I also have a designer II..I bought it new years ago..I love it..I used it for everything including quilting huge quilts..Mine is a work horse..I also have the embroidery unit..My only complaint is ..I have to keep a computer that is older to use to make designs..Because the program only works on vista or lower..U can buy a new program..But I feel they shouldn't make u keep paying for more programs..I have only had it in the shop for check ups...It has major hours on it ..I think u may have got a lemon..To keep putting money into it and still have more problems is a problem it's self..as others have said .U can buy a cheaper embroidery machine for the repair cost of this one..and u can put your cards for sell for people like me who still have good operating machines..I just bought a used Mega quilter for quilting..I had looked at them for years..But couldn't bring myself to spend the money..But this was used and hardly used..Couldn't pass it up for the money..U will love the ease of it..The only thing wrong with them is the locations of the bobbin..and it doesn't hold a lot of thread when it comes to quilting..in my opinion..
Old 12-03-2014, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
*raises hand* I'm one of those people! I bought mine last year and have just recently started getting into using it. I am really happy with it - so far the only problems I've had have been caused by me not really knowing the right stabilizer, etc. to use. Machine stitches beautifully and trouble-free, my only complaint is that the screen is really small and everything gets really pixellated - it's hard to see which design you're selecting and then hard to see which section of the design you're on. It's easy to go back a step if you need to re-do an area, the bobbin-low detector works like a charm, and this is the easiest machine to thread I've ever owned. It uses flash cards or a regular ol' USB thumb drive. It can also handle larger hoops to do continuous designs (but I haven't tried that yet). All in all I think it's a really good machine, I'm glad I have it in my sewing machine arsenal.

Right now it's listed on Amazon for under $600. I bought mine from Amazon and it came to me perfectly tensioned and ready to stitch.

Good luck...I hope you find a resolution that works out for you!
Ditto on what you said. I also have the PE-770. It's easy to use and most of my problems have been "operator error".
Old 12-03-2014, 08:34 AM

My sister buys her embroidery machines from overstock.com aand gets a 3 year warntee with them and has had real good luck. She says th prices are good as well. Check with them or go on ebay and see what you can find for a reasonable price. You may be able to sell your old one and cards for enough to pay for it.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:47 AM

I'm so sorry to hear you're having problems with your D2. I'm still using my D1 w/floppy disk. Got it in 2000 but now use it basically for piecing. Haven't had it in the shop for cleaning for 4 years and have made quite a few quilt tops with it. I do clean out the bobbin area as best I can between bobbin changes but am having problems with the screen these days. Seems its off kilter a bit as I can't get to the adjusting stitch length at the bottom right of the screen. Takes a bunch of times hitting it in various locations before I finally get the screen I want. Thank goodness I don't have to go to that screen very often. I programmed my scant 1/4" stitch into the machine and can go there when I'm piecing. Have another machine I use for embroidery these days.

Would love to have the Topaz 50 but its not in the budget these days and I'm waiting till the D1 takes its final nose dive before I get another machine.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

Some people buy an old vintage sewing machine just to do straight stitches - save the fancy machine for anything that you NEED fancy for. It would cost far less than a service call and extend the life of your fancy machine.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:24 AM

Perhaps you have a lemon?
Old 12-03-2014, 10:43 AM

Talked to someone else at the shop. She said "oh, he probably didn't reconnect the power because it makes it easier for if you bring it back to be fixed."

I have Pfaff 7510 and a Mega Quilter. I'm not hurting for sewing machines. I seldom used this one, so I know it was not a case of me wearing it out.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by PatPitter View Post
Talked to someone else at the shop. She said "oh, he probably didn't reconnect the power because it makes it easier for if you bring it back to be fixed."
WHAT????? He didn't bother to put it back into its original condition to make it easier for himself? Or, he disabled it so that you have to bring it back? I hope the next shop is more ethical. Seems like the bar is set fairly low there.

hugs,
Charlotte