Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Viking Quilt Designer II needs major repairs >

My Viking Quilt Designer II needs major repairs

My Viking Quilt Designer II needs major repairs

Old 12-03-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Or, he disabled it so that you have to bring it back?
hugs,
Charlotte
That's what I thought. Especially after the comment yesterday that I could not get a copy of his diagnostic and estimate.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:09 PM

I'm probably being too suspicious. We all just want a good outcome for you.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 12-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Are the "D" cards compatible with any other machine (format)? If they can be read by one of those programs that write several different formats, you might want to keep the cards and get another machine that is compatible.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:11 PM

What a run-around, I hate it when folks get taken advantage like this, I've been in similar situations having work done on my house and I've gotten to the point it's hard to trust people. Hope all goes well for you.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:53 PM

I also feel your pain. I have a Janome 6500P and have only used it regularly for two years and it has big problems too.
It has a screen warning and will not run at all!!!!!!
I'm so upset at the money I spent and now I am looking at a high repair bill!

My 60 year old FW's and 301A along with my other vintage machines are all running like tops.....I am so disgusted !
Old 12-03-2014, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
I'm probably being too suspicious. We all just want a good outcome for you.

Hugs,
Charlotte
I don't think you are being too suspicious at all!

I've never heard of a dealer refusing to give you a copy of their diagnosis and the cost for same. And deliberately disabling the machine so you'd have to bring it back smacks of dishonesty.

Past time to find a new, honest dealer.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:11 PM

Sell all the cards and parts and use that towards a brother embroidery machine. I have a Kenmore 19000 made by Janome and it takes cards. I have looked at the brother as it hooks right up to computer as I understand it, so you have a much better selection of patterns.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:54 AM

I agree with not putting any more money into the machine. I would list it on E Bay and the cards and other items you have individually and you might be able to get another machine for embroidery. I have a Viking 730 that has a stitch length problem. I have had it looked at several times and it will not keep a 2.5 stitch. I have put it away, and use my other machines for piecing. My Viking is about 10 years old, and the stitch went bad about 4 years ago, I still don't understand why or why it cannot be fixed. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:54 PM

So sorry to hear all about the problems with your Viking QII. I have the D1 and the Ruby Deluxe. They are both great machines. Our dealer has sold the dealership and their repair person is training a young, new person to take over repairs after a year when their helping the new people time is up.

I am anxious about taking my machine next year for servicing with the new person. The original dealer repair person is absolutely fantastic about repairing the machines. He knows everything and every machine for they have had the dealership for years.
It sounds like the person you are dealing with is inexperienced with the Vikings or maybe they just don't have the expertise to repair machines. I think repair people are like doctors; some are great technicians and some are lousy (my nursing experience). The problem is we have to discover that with our time, money, and sometimes lives.

I would find another dealer who has been in business longer and maybe could give references regarding his work and a detail list of repairs needed.
If you have your machine repaired there is no guarantee it won't happen again. I have a friend who has a Brother emb. machine and she makes beautiful things with it and it cost thousands less than my machines.

I'm like some of the other members, maybe just sell it for parts or need of repair, or as is. You have to decided to throw in the towel or try another dealer or like someone said,"paint it yellow" and use it for a door stop.
Let us know what happens. Good luck!

Last edited by quiltjoey; 12-05-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:17 AM

I took the machine back last week. Finally got a call yesterday that it was ready. He reconnected the internal cables so at least it has power. The embroidery unit works fine. I just can't do anything that requires the feed dogs.

This repair person has been working on Viking machines at least 8 years. They are the nearest Viking Dealer. I won't go back.

After the first of the year I will take it to another shop that offers free estimates and see what they have to say. In the meantime I can at least do embroidery. I will probably end up selling it for parts and use the money for a Brother PE770 if I want to continue to embroidery.