Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My Wal-Mart fabric dept is...

My Walmart is terrible. It has nothing and is dirty.

Blog Entries
    I just saw some Fabric Traditions fabric for $7.98 a yard last week, that was the best quality fabric I have seen in a long time outside of quilt shops. A little pricey, but for what you get it was a bargain! They are going to make JoAnn's fabrics cry! :-)

Our WM is vamping up on their fabric also. I love it! I used to shop at Joann's all the time. I would wait to buy stuff on when it was on special. Now I have another place to go to and a lot more choices for what I am looking for. I am so happy. I asked the woman that was working the dept. one day why. She said WM was losing a lot of money by not having their fabric dept open with a good selection. So they decided to to expand it again. I am happy!

I work for a WM and yes they have enlarged just about all the fabric and crafts departments. We have a ton load of new fabric and added lots more zippers and thread. Oh ya forgot to mention they have brought back fat quarters and jelly rolls and DMC floss as well. Looks real good with a whole new face lift.

Blog Entries
    Lucky you, tngal22, to have a fabric dept in WalMart. Before we moved, I'd make a WalMart run for the fabric with cute teddy bears on it. They were in pastels and worked up perfectly for baby quilts. Nice feel to the fabric. Sure would like to get some more of that.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    our here in Enid, OK is enlarging, and they put the yarn back over there too! BUT, still crappy fabric at prices I won't pay for it! THey did add a large amount of "costuming" fabrics too!

We kept our fabric department by complaining. I guess that is one company that will listen.

one of our walmart got the fabric dept back, the only problem is there is no one in that dept to cut it, I would cut it but don't know how to use the scanner

Our local W-M has completely re-arranged the fabric dept. The cutting table used to be towards the back wall and now it is right on the main aisle. It looks as tho there is more fabric, but I doubt it. The shelves are jam packed (kinda like JoAnn's). There were no sales personnel to question, so that will have to wait for another visit. I did not have a lot of time to check it all out, but seems to me to be harder to find things. No arrangement by color, etc. Perhaps they are still in transition....

Try cutting it and taking the bolt with you to check out. Let them figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    I was in a WalMart in Texas and they had fabric in carts too. I asked what was going on and the clerk told me they were completely redoing the fabric, bringing much more in. They had some of the better quilting fabric there and it was $7.98-8.98 a yard and it was beautiful fabric. So far, our local WalMart has done nothing about adding fabric. One of the clerks told me that all the quilters and sewers really complained and for once, someone listened. I know I sent about 2 letters via email to the corporate headquarters complaining about the lack of fabric.
    Last weekend at the Walmart in Belton, Texas, there were stacks and stacks of bolts priced at $1.50 to $4.00 per yard (mostly cottons, but also some other fabric types). I asked the clerk if the prices were so low because they were getting rid of the fabric department. She said that no, they were just making room for lots more new fabric that was expected to come in over the next few weeks. Another clerk pointed to the tiered slanted shelves, and said "We're getting three more sets of shelves just like that one." Wow! I went in there to buy dog and cat food, and came out with a bag full of fabric!
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
    fixing up the area. I noticed the other day that they had most of the fabric in buggies (carts, lol) and I was hoping they weren't getting rid of the dept. I went today looking for the pellets for the weighted blanket, they didn't have any BUT they had redid the dept. Moved stuff around, added LOTS more thread and zippers. It looked so much more organized. It appears they are still working on it but yay for getting more stuff. I don't buy alot from the dept but it is nice to have for a quick trip for pins, batting, etc. They do have some nice fabric that I have bought before.
    Most of the Wall-Marts in the Charleston SC area are bring back their fabric departments. They do seem to have some better quality fabric. It is good to have them back.

Ours "remodeled" also...I don't really like it and I don't see any more of the cheapy $1.50/yard fabric...some of that was good stuff! The bolts are more like a fabric section but they are placed so high that you can't see over them. I feel like I am in a maze...and trapped!

We see th same reorganization going on in our store. Hope this means more fsbric and not less.

Ours in Dallas, OR just remodeled and at least doubled (if not more) their fabric department and it is fabulous!! They are still putting stuff away, but aisles and aisles of good-looking fabrics, labeled for apparel, quilting, etc. They have added a complete embroidery center again, racks of sewing threads (reasonable), even expanded the crafts - - it feels more like going into Michael's now. And there was such a happy flutter and smiles yesterday between the customers and the ladies (I have known for years) that work there. It was really neat!! I am super happy. And they claim it is here to stay!!! Thank you, Walmart :-)
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Glad they are fixing it up rather than getting rid of it. I go to a nice Walmart that was built when all they had was a row of stuff. I keep checking to see if they are going to put in a fabric dept. but nothing yet. There is no fabric store in that area so they are really missing out.
    Kim

Our walmart here has no fabric, but they got it back at the one in Broussard, not too far from here!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Native Texan living in beautiful Arkansas
    I wish I could post a photo I took in Mountain View, Arkansas on a Friday night at 9:00 last year. I had a huge stack of fabric I wanted that was really nice. The man from automotive kindly came over and took care of it. He was so cute and stayed with it until all was done. Never grumbled once. Hooray for Walmart bringing our fabric departments back and upgrading the quality.
    Take care of our earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!

Our has brought back DMC floss, quilt and embroideris and expanded the department. Lots of beads, jewelry making, etc.

Blog Entries
    The Walmart here put the Simplicity pattern drawers back in the dept. and added cross stitch kits and DMC floss, moved the hideous plastic artificial flowers and put in a new wall of fabric. The fabric/craft dept manager told me if Walmart brought back a full fabric dept she would quit. She hated it that much. She said it was too messy to keep up. She left! She was snot anyway. We have a new fabric dept. manager and she loves fabric! In fact she quit when Walmart got rid of the fabric and she had to move to cashier. She was rehired for the new fabric dept. We now have lots of specialty fabrics and all Pellon products by the bolt. I go to Walmart much more now.
    Got fabric?

Our Walmart has NO fabric. Just a craft dept. with some thread and needles. There is only one place on The Island to buy fabric, Robyn Pandolph's Design Studio. Some Walmarts are adding fabric, but ours shows no signs of adding it. I would like to be able to buy a 100% cotton solid or another 100% cotton fabric to complete a sewing project, without having to drive to the mainland to purchase at a LQS, Hancock, Hobby Lobby, Joann's or another Walmart. We have a Quilt Guild on The Island and lots of people that sew. I will send an email to Corporate to see if that does any good.

Blog Entries
    yes the walmart in Durant OK has restocked their fabric.
    Ladyredhawk

Pellets? Weighted blanket???? Could someone please explain that to me. I was disappointed with our Walmart when it reopened it fabric dept. However, now they are getting in much more fabric and the quality is improving.
    Margie....wannaBsewer
    favorite poem..Outwitted by Edwin Markham...He drew a circle that shut us out..heretic, rebel a thing to flout.
    But Love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in!

Quote Originally Posted by Margie View Post
    Pellets? Weighted blanket???? Could someone please explain that to me. I was disappointed with our Walmart when it reopened it fabric dept. However, now they are getting in much more fabric and the quality is improving.
    See this post for info on the weighted blankets.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Our store was just remodled and they added more fabrics.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast