Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Wal-Mart fabric dept is... >

My Wal-Mart fabric dept is...

My Wal-Mart fabric dept is...

Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
They just rearranged the fabric department in our WalMart too. I also noticed there was a rack for DMC embroidery floss. I think they put in a whole lot more fabric too.

I think somebody in corporate finally figured out the fabric and crafts department brings lots of women into the store that might not come in to the store if they have to go somewhere else for fabric and crafts.
Fabric and notions were what brought me into WalMart most of the time.

(We're older, so about the only things we "need" to buy now are groceries, gas, and personal items - Oh, I forgot medications!)
Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM

The manager in my local WM said that the dept manager is in charge of ordering fabrics..this way they can see what the local people want. My store has a lot of quality fabrics, as this is what they are selling..Many of the same fabrics are in Joannes and the prices are much lower. I realize that not all fabrics are LQS quality, but I personally can not afford the LQS. I will at least be avble to continue quilting at Walmart prices!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by june6995 View Post
The Walmart closest to where I live, in Cincinnati, has never closed their fabric department. However, there does not seen to have been plans for cleaning it up since there are always piles and piles of bolts. Finally on Monday I noticed a steel shelving unit that had lots of sale tags on the ends of the bolts, as low as $1.50 and $2.00 per yard. I asked the clerk where this came from and her reply surprised me. She said "we are cleaning out old stock!" Could that be an indication of changes on the way? I surely hope so. For months, since before the closing were taking place, this was one of the most neglected departments in this store. The clerk who waited on me told me that she had been told to stay out of the department (she used to work in Fabrics) but she measures and cuts for customers when she is awake they need help. Management does not seem to have their plans ready to move ahead.

June in Cincinnati
In my Walmart the steel discount shelving means inventory is coming, and that is why they are trying to clear it out...Watch closely when this happens, because on and off the store manager will declare half off the CLEARANCE price thru the store..You wouldn't believe the tons of fabric I bought on those days!! (also stocked up on other clearance items thru the store for next christmas!!)
Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 AM

I live between two Wal Mart and both have added some really nice quilting fabric. They also put there cheaper fabric on clearance. They have also added DMC floss for 30 cents and looks to be adding more notions. I guess the managers are finally going listen to female customers. I had heard at last years managers meeting this came up and they were going to add fabric back. YEA and better for quilting too.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:03 AM

I have been so sick with my asthma this year. I leave in Fl.Yesterday I felt so good that I went to Wal Mart. Lord help me they changed the whole Dept(Fabric) around. Just have to take a hour or to just to find what I want.They are getting in pre cut fabric now(lots of it). It is so organized now. BUT,,,,,,,,,can't find a thing yet.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:09 AM

My Walmart is terrible. It has nothing and is dirty.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:25 AM

I just saw some Fabric Traditions fabric for $7.98 a yard last week, that was the best quality fabric I have seen in a long time outside of quilt shops. A little pricey, but for what you get it was a bargain! They are going to make JoAnn's fabrics cry! :-)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:25 AM

Our WM is vamping up on their fabric also. I love it! I used to shop at Joann's all the time. I would wait to buy stuff on when it was on special. Now I have another place to go to and a lot more choices for what I am looking for. I am so happy. I asked the woman that was working the dept. one day why. She said WM was losing a lot of money by not having their fabric dept open with a good selection. So they decided to to expand it again. I am happy!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:27 AM

I work for a WM and yes they have enlarged just about all the fabric and crafts departments. We have a ton load of new fabric and added lots more zippers and thread. Oh ya forgot to mention they have brought back fat quarters and jelly rolls and DMC floss as well. Looks real good with a whole new face lift.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:44 AM

Lucky you, tngal22, to have a fabric dept in WalMart. Before we moved, I'd make a WalMart run for the fabric with cute teddy bears on it. They were in pastels and worked up perfectly for baby quilts. Nice feel to the fabric. Sure would like to get some more of that.