Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My Wal-Mart fabric dept is...

Blog Entries
    Could Wal Mart be selling under graded material? I checked the quality at ours-similar to our Pottery Barn-I stayed at our Joanne fabrics or Hancock-see better quality that will stand up to time, a little more, but better to be safe than have a prize fall apart with washing or stretching on quilt frame.

Blog Entries
    I have two nearby and neither have ever had fabric. One is now undergoing a remodel and they are putting in a fabric department. Yeah. I have been watching it closely. The only disappointing thing is they have hand quilting thread, and regular sewing thread, but no machine quilting thread. However, based on the number of racks it looks like tha fabric select will be good.
    Friends are the most important ingredient in the recipe of life.

I was at Walmart today and noticed that they had added fabric! I asked and was told that they are going to add more. I even found some baltics. Not many but it is a start. The price for the baltics was $8.98 per yard. Prices on the other fabrics ranged from $4.00 a yard and up. Found some older fabric that they were trying to sell for $2.50. Even added more notions.

Wal-Mart in Michigan is going full . Girl said she has 9 pallets of fixtures, so that means a big change. Souds good. You can find good fabric by reading ends of bolts.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    Sounds nice. Our WM doesn't have fabric but have noticed improvements in Cookeville. Haven't bought fabric but notions & patterns are well priced.
    Hey Merry...Jamestown Walmart still has a lot of fabric!!
    Happy Quilting
    Love in Christ
    Suzi

I was just by our Wal Mart the other day, and they had moved the cutting table closer to the isle, and enlarged the fabric area. And I mean by alot!! There has to be at least twice the fabric there now, as there was last month. This is a good thing, since Wal Mart is so much closer than even a JoAnn's. And the LQS are even farther away. I did not have time to just wander around and look but next time I will plan my trip to include that.
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
    fixing up the area. I noticed the other day that they had most of the fabric in buggies (carts, lol) and I was hoping they weren't getting rid of the dept. I went today looking for the pellets for the weighted blanket, they didn't have any BUT they had redid the dept. Moved stuff around, added LOTS more thread and zippers. It looked so much more organized. It appears they are still working on it but yay for getting more stuff. I don't buy alot from the dept but it is nice to have for a quick trip for pins, batting, etc. They do have some nice fabric that I have bought before.
    Our walmart done some changing around too,but they are NOT bringing back our fabric it is not a super walmart but it does stay open untill 12.00 am so that does help a little bit.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

wish our walmart would carry more things for quilting but we live in a college town

Our WM redid their fabric dept also. It looks very nice with lots more than just fabric.
    Mona Marie
    I am too Blessed to be stressed and too Anointed to be disappointed

Blog Entries
    Not our WalMart, we still have those precut packages of fabric and no batting, very little thread, wish they would bring it back but it doesn't look like they will, we have what they call a Super Mini WalMart, no bakerey, vision center etc.

The WALMART stores in the Houston TX area had fabric for a short time only. Because there was NEVER an associate available to cut the fabric, they weren't able to sell enough to make it worth their while. Too bad because they always had great novelty fabrics at good prices. Poor management on WalMart's part, they should have planned better and had dedicated staff to the department. Have you noticed how much the WalMart stores have changed in the past couple of years? Never a knowledgeable sales person and the stores all seem to be understaffed and under stocked. I can understand why more people shop online rather than put up with in-store shopping.

Our WM remodeled and became a Super WM. They brought back the fabric dept., but it is so small and disorganized that I don't shop there. This store is probably the most disorganized WM that I have ever seen. I was hoping that things would improve when they built on and remodeled the store, but I guess they still have the same management team, so it is as bad as ever. The store looks like a disaster area. I feel like I should call the Red Cross! lol Fortunately, I can drive a few extra miles (as long as I can afford the gas!) and I have 2 more WM stores which are much better. I have only gone to our WM twice since they remodeled. The first time i thought they just might not be up to speed because of going through the construction. I waited 4 months to go back and it was a worse mess than before. I'm resigned to driving a distance if I really want to go to WM. I usually just shop elsewhere. I prefer fabric shopping at my lqs.

Norma

Noticed the Walmart in Escanaba, MI is completely remodeling their fabric section . They have installed new shelves for fabric and looks like lots of it will be displayed. I am excited and the lady there said everyone was. Looks like it will take them a couple weeks to organize it all. I'm sure it will be well received as fabric shopping is limited in the area.
    Judi
    Avatar is my 1st quilt with my "Teddy Bear" dog, Zoe

Checked out local WM like I promised, have even more fabric now, and when I was there they had a person dedicated to fabric department. They have combined all the fabric, patterns, assoceries,scrap booking, and crafts in one are this seems to make it easier to have a dedicated sales person all the time as it covers a pretty large are in the store with every thing in one place.

When Wal Mart took the fabrics out of both stores here in my area, I found the manager and told him I was out of there. Not a think in the store I couldn't find elsewhere or on the Internet. I didn't go to a Wal Mart for two years.
    Someone said they were redoing and getting fabric back, patterns, more yarn, etc. So I visited. Found a few things.
    Waited 6 mo., went back. Little more. Called manager, said it still didn't cut the mustard, so would try the place in a year. I also wrote corporate, a number of times, told them the powers that be were losing money BIG TIME as women are good at finding what they need and what they don't need it the junk they sell since they can make lots of their own quality furnishings etc. with proper fabric.

I totally agree. I only go when I cannot find something in my LQS or anything else in our small town. They have also updated the fabric here but they took away all of the thread that I use. So will order it on the internet if I have to. But we have a great little LQS She orders anything I need or trys to find it for me. Wish everyone had one like ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Needles View Post
    When Wal Mart took the fabrics out of both stores here in my area, I found the manager and told him I was out of there. Not a think in the store I couldn't find elsewhere or on the Internet. I didn't go to a Wal Mart for two years.
    Someone said they were redoing and getting fabric back, patterns, more yarn, etc. So I visited. Found a few things.
    Waited 6 mo., went back. Little more. Called manager, said it still didn't cut the mustard, so would try the place in a year. I also wrote corporate, a number of times, told them the powers that be were losing money BIG TIME as women are good at finding what they need and what they don't need it the junk they sell since they can make lots of their own quality furnishings etc. with proper fabric.

I was going to take a picture of the thread section today, but I didn't. They had it full stocked! Two BIG displays of nothing but thread. One display for zippers and another for bias tape and ric rac. Didn't really look at the fabric yet, always in a hurry.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Hoping this means our Walmart that carries fabric will expand also but the other day noted no changes. Will keep my fingers crossed!

Hi, just got back from Walmart and so very happy to see the improvement in the fabric dept. More thread,zippers and a lot more fabric. I brought some quilt fabric that was $7.98 a yd. and it was nice fabric. The clerk said that they had a lot of people complaining about little or no fabric. She also said that some other stores may have to put the fabric dept. back. Good news to hear.

The wal-mart in the next town over has fabric, but not ours. One of the clerks told me they were going to try to put it back in all the stores because it was a big money maker. She said their profits dropped when they took it away. So it sounds like progress for all of us quilters!! Yay!

KathyPhillips post,
    Our Walmart has NO fabric. Just a craft dept. with some thread and needles. There is only one place on The Island to buy fabric, Robyn Pandolph's Design Studio. Some Walmarts are adding fabric, but ours shows no signs of adding it. I would like to be able to buy a 100% cotton solid or another 100% cotton fabric to complete a sewing project, without having to drive to the mainland to purchase at a LQS, Hancock, Hobby Lobby, Joann's or another Walmart. We have a Quilt Guild on The Island and lots of people that sew. I will send an email to Corporate to see if that does any good.

my response to Kathy ,
    Kathy phillips get everyone in your Guild and thier families to contact walmart (e-mail ,Telephone ,letters ) Whatever it takes .Make sure you get alot of people .

I don't know how to put their post in and then my respose,so i just copied and paste .
    Last edited by grammyBev; 04-29-2012 at 05:53 AM.

grammyBev
    I don't know how to put their post in and then my respose,so i just copied and paste .[/QUOTE]

Instead of clicking Reply to Thread click on Reply With Quote underneath the post you want to quote.
    Last edited by kelsunshine; 04-29-2012 at 11:07 AM.

I recently visited in Virginia, on the way home (Route 23) I stopped in Norton and checked out the WalMart fabric department...it was GREAT!! I commented to a clerk how nice it is and she said they are getting fabrics in almost daily....
    Karo

Our Walmart doesn't carry Fabric which is disappointing because i've heard of the great deals people get.

Blog Entries
    I live in Fallon, Nevada and our Wal Mart is just now rearranging the fabric department. It's wonderful. We all love the way the fabric is displayed- so easy to see now. And lots of NICE stuff coming in at 6-8.00 a yd. Great selection. How fun. There goes my budget

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast