Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on how to raise tables ?

I use the pvc pipe also - they can be cut to what ever size (length) you need. Bet Wal-Mart sold a lot of those tables to quilters.
    Dolores / Tennessee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter Day-by-Day
    I have a 8ft. table and a 4ft table that I need to raise to a better height for cutting and ironing. They are the ones made by Lifetime got them at Sams got them a few years ago for extra tables for get togethers but now they are turned into a cutting table and designing,and a ironing table.
    I used PVC pipe cut 10" and slipper the leg in them...there was a cross steel brace on the table so they didn't slide all the way up...very sturdy.

TJB

I have a 8ft. table and a 4ft table that I need to raise to a better height for cutting and ironing. They are the ones made by Lifetime got them at Sams got them a few years ago for extra tables for get togethers but now they are turned into a cutting table and designing,and a ironing table.
    Try this; I used four half cement blocks and they work just great.

tjb

QKO
    We use the adjustable height tables from Costco, but they were still just a little too low. So we just put paver blocks under the legs to get them up another 3 inches or so...

Sounds like my cutting table! My table is either enamel or some kind of metal because magnets stick to it. 2 sides of the table extend from underneath the table top to make it about 20 inches wider if I extend both sides and I even have a silverware drawer that I have some of my "tools" in! The legs are wooden and 2 1/2" square so I had to do some looking before I finally found the type that I needed at Target. I bought a 2 1/2" square Omnigrid ruler for a pattern of the size I needed for the legs to set into and went on my search! Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by anniec55
    I have an "old" 40-50's kitchen table that I use for cutting and such, I set it up on the bed risers about 4 years ago, and for me it works perfect.

I got PVC pipe from Home Depot and had my DH cut it to the length I needed. I just slipped a pipe on each of the legs. I had several sizes to be used for different jobs. Then you can always take them off quickly when you need those extra tables for a party.

i use bed risers that i got at Joanns for my table. i used my coupon too so they were cheap. the only issue is if i have to move the table. they don't want to slide. the cement block idea sounds like a pain in my toes to me!! i know i would be stubbing my toes on them constantly. i'm glad they work for some.

Quote Originally Posted by MzMcKee
    I love the pvc leg extenders I made for my table. And I made them adjustable! Just a little nut and bolt system.
    I like your system. Is it just pvc pipe or is it a specific item to look for? Are the feet pop ons?

My sister uses PVC pipe. She puts the legs of the table inside the pipe which is cut to add the length she needs the table to be.

I do use the bed risers. They work perfect

big lots in austin had the bed risers for 5.00 last week
    i like all the ideas
    i would let concrete set up in cans first to give them
    weight.
    square thik wood blocks if you have that

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mar32428
    I got PVC pipe from Home Depot and had my DH cut it to the length I needed. I just slipped a pipe on each of the legs. I had several sizes to be used for different jobs. Then you can always take them off quickly when you need those extra tables for a party.
    I love what you have done. I usually bring in 4 house bricks which I have cleaned up just for the purpose. I am going to get some PVC.
    I must admit I had never thought of using PVC but what a brilliant idea. Thank you to all who have suggested it.
    Happy Quilting

Bed risers are at JoAnns right now in the student going off to college dept. Paid $6 for four of them.

In the sewing class I help teach we use the bed risers.

Power Poster
    My 4 ft table that I bought from BJ's has adjustable legs that have 3 diffrent heights. My 6 ft table does not. I would think you would have to put them on something that has some weight to it. If you put the table on old paint cans or bed risers I just feel the table would shift on you as you put pressure as you are cutting. You just need something sturdy.

Blog Entries
    bed risers and pvc,that is impressive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MzMcKee
    I love the pvc leg extenders I made for my table. And I made them adjustable! Just a little nut and bolt system.
    I love the "adjustable" part! I use pvc pipe under my table legs also, but never thought of making them adjustable. Somethimes I need them taller, especially when I'm using the table for dying fabric; then a little lower for cutting. I'm going to have to try this so that I don't have to change them out each time I use the table for a different purpose. Thanks for the pictures.

Josi FL

I got my bed risers at Goodwill for about $3. Bed risers come in 2 heights that I know of 3" and 5". I have the 5 inchers. Work great.

my husband cut pvc pipe for the legs on my table they work great and the table dont fall off like they would cans etc.

I have the pvc on mine and the table is very sturdy. Mine is raised up 12 inches and there is no wobble at all. The pvc my hubby used is inch and a half and very sturdy.

Blog Entries
    Would the PVC work if you wanted to lower a table? ie: cut off the legs and use pvc to cover the cut end? My banquet tables (heavy duty) make wonderful sewing tables but they are too tall since my machine has to sit on top and would like to have the table a little shorter.

Best thing I've every had ... get some PCV piping cut about 12" (or however much you want to raise tables).

Place each leg in pipe (make sure you get large enough pipe to accommodate 'foot' at the end of the legs.

This works great on our tables at church and stored using very little space.

Best solution I've found because I can tailor it to the exact height I want!

Peggy in Fla

We use 2 methods of raising tables to the preferred height: 1 : Find large coffee cans and fill to the desired height with redimix concrete. Allow to harden. Then, just set the table legs down on the concrete. The weight of the cans will make them very sturdy.

2: Buy PVC pipe wide enough for your table legs. Cut the pipe square across the bottom. Tape the 4 pieces of PVC pipe together. Mark the spot to drill. Drill a hole the same height in them. Put a stove bolt through the holes and fasten a nut on the side. Put 2 holes in the pipe if more than one person needs to use the table. If the PVC pipe is large, it will be very stable as you work around the table. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    My hubby cut me 12" pvc white plastic pipe and I lift each leg and slide them on. Works great. Depends on the type of legs you ahve though. Mine are regular table you can fold in half and tote. We have Project Linus meetings twice a month adn use these on the cutting tables. Saves the backs.
    That's what our shop uses and it works great!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    My hubby cut me 12" pvc white plastic pipe and I lift each leg and slide them on. Works great. Depends on the type of legs you ahve though. Mine are regular table you can fold in half and tote. We have Project Linus meetings twice a month adn use these on the cutting tables. Saves the backs.
    I have a 4 ft and a 6 ft. Tom made booties for each. They are so easy to put on when I want them and take them off when I don't.
    He made these tall ones for standing up pinning or cutting.
    He made short ones to place the table top level with my sewing machine table. I just choose the ones I want.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast