Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with between blocks >

Need help with between blocks

Need help with between blocks

Old 08-16-2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Hmmm ... thinking set it on point with black alternating blocks, narrow black border then pick a primary (red or yellow probably) for a second border.
Ooh, I like that idea!
Old 08-16-2014, 07:41 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I think the quilt is crying out for an orangey tan (like the flooring others have noticed) which you also see in the printed blocks. This would be great whether you set the blocks on point or not. On point would enlarge the quilt slightly, if you are looking for that effect.

You might add a black and light beige, or white, or even the yellow, piano key border too, in keeping with the theme.
It's nice. Hope you'll let us see it when you finish.

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 08-16-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:48 PM

I like them sitting on the color of your floor. I'd choose that if possible (I think).
Old 08-17-2014, 02:15 AM

I think there are quite a few possibilities here!

Have you thought about grey? Green is another one I could see. But I also liked the mock up with the purple and the green cornerstones (yep, purple for a man!). If you want to go with the shadowed blocks, then don't make the shadows orange! Shadows should be the darker fabric (e.g. black or charcoal), otherwise they will stick out too much and not actually give the impression that they are "behind" the blocks!

Looking forward to see what you chose!
Old 08-17-2014, 03:18 AM

If all the blocks had solid black in them then I might go with the black because the other color in the pinwheel would be set off and it would look like those pin wheels floating and twirling. I notice that you have some solid black and some with confetti colors on black. If you use black sashing in this case I think it might look disjointed with some pinwheels having 4 blades floating and some pinwheels having 8 blades distinct. A different color sashing would also set the blocks apart where black will give the appearance of the whole quilt being the block.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Gorgeous blocks..hope u get this figured out.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

I always tend to like Black for sashing. It might be interesting to try to see how the black pinwheels will react to the black sashing. This is a WILD suggestions, but if you have any black and white strip fabric, try that which may look like a keyboard stripe. I always try various ideas and take photos of them all until one of the layouts just looks perfect. I also have the guitar fabric and haven't found the right pattern for the fabric. Good Luck.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:58 AM

I also like this idea Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter OK. He is a musician. Judging from the quilt you have created for him, he is a bit funky. Instead of plain sashing, how about making the blocks float with shadows? Use black sashing strips as planned, but give them bright orange "shadows".

Here is little tutorial that explains what I'm talking about. I've done several styles of blocks this way and it always looks good to me.
Originally Posted by mary quilting View Post
I like this Idea.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Like the black....
Old 08-17-2014, 07:56 AM

Thanks everyone! This is giving me lots of things to think about. I laid awake last night thinking about possibilities.

I like the shadow block idea and maybe a charcoal instead of a primary for the 'shadow' and a lighter gray or even white for the main strips. I also like the on point idea too...he's a different drummer for sure...but one of the best young men know, with a strong set of values and morals, so I want to give him something as unique as he is.

I live about 30 minutes from Hancock's in Paducah (yeah, I know...someone has to suffer) I may get the blocks sewn up and haul them down there and lay them out on various bolts.

I have 2 different kinds of musical note fabric and they're such a linear print, I don't like them at all...a note 'toss' in a contrasting color might work, but I don't like the sheet music look for this quilt.

I'm getting my hst's squared up and sewn into blocks today...keep the ideas coming...I'll post progress reports, so keep the ideas coming.