Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

Need help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Need help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Old 06-22-2011, 06:03 AM

The price she quoted was for the whole quilt not just part. I would have paid her part of the quote. If she finished 1/2 then only pay 1/2. She will not have a very good reputation and I hope she doesn't do this for a living.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:13 AM

Yes I am very happy with what she did. She made leaves and random swirls. I just hope my quilting will not show! I am going to play around on scrap material before I touch my quilt.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:17 AM

Wow Thanks Hinterland for that wonderful link...One could either use the tutorials for machine quilting or longarm freehand...woohoo. As for the longarmer not finishing the quilt, like it has been mentioned before, she should have turned the quilt on her frame.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:23 AM

She should not have charged you more, in fact, she should have refunded you something, and or, better...just not started it. Sometimes you get a better reputation by refusing stuff you can not do than by attempting things you can't.

I wonder if you couldn't take it to a LQS and do the long arm yourself? We have a few places in Orlando that will let you work on something and give you a lesson at the same time....

AND...since I live in Florida, and am making a Calif. King size quilt...I would like you to please PM the ladys name. I wont make it Public, but I wont use her. MY Goodness, Bad service.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 AM

I would rather not reveal her name, but I will tell you it is not close to Orlando.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:12 AM

If it is not out of your way, you need to stand up to this lady. Take your quilt with you when you go to talk to her. Tell her firmly but nicely that you had paid the agreed price and that she did not have the right to demand more money from you. Tell her you need the $50. back, and that she needs to finish the quilt or refund the rest of your money. Tell her that the two of you had a verbal contract. If you don't confront her, she'll do it again. Perhaps you're not the first one she's done it to. She can quilt an oversize quilt on her frame. It takes a little more effort and you do have to turn the quilt a lot, but it can be successfully done. You select the top edge and one of the corners and follow that corner down it's side. On the opposite side you let the quilt top
drop off the inside edge, and you clamp throught the double layer of the quilt sandwich. You continue to quilt like this until upu get to the bottom. You unpin the top and bottom and slide the quilt over to where the remaing top corner is in the quilting area along with the top edge. You repin, allow the excess quilt on the other side to drop off. You can clamp through a double layer of quilt sandwich, and start quilting where you left off and continue down the length and side of the quilt till you get to the bottom. :?:
Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 AM

I agree, she quoted you a price and if she couldn't do it, she shouldn't have started. In addition, she shouldn't have charged you the extra money without contacting you first to explain that it would cost more and you agreed to it.

Good luck in getting it finished. The LQS idea is good. A quilt that large would be hard to finish by hand without a group as someone else said.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:36 AM

Wow, I wish I could help you!! I wouldn't pay until the job was finished. A professional person would do whatever it took to get it finished. I hope you can get it done!!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:02 PM

I am back in Ind. now. I will be moving towards the first of august. I wanted to give it to my son before I leave. He lives in INd.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:39 PM

Why in the heck cant she finish it. She took it and gave you a price, She needs to finish it.. And charging you more when she didnt finish it.. No Way.. Dont pay her. Pay when the job is done... So sorry this has happend to you.