Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help unlearning childhood habit >

Need help unlearning childhood habit

Need help unlearning childhood habit

Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 AM

I was like you when I began quilting, didn't even think about another quilt until the one I was working on was finished. Then I found quilting message boards and learned all about UFOs, WIP, PIGs, etc. and began having too many projects going at the same time. When making a large quilt it is hard to keep my enthusiasm up about it and my mind does wander thinking about other projects, colors, designs but I try to stick to it or I'd never get anything finished.

Rule now is that it's OK to have 2 or at the most 3 projects in the works at the same time but they have to be kept where I will see them or I'll forget about them and add more projects. Wish me luck sticking to that rule. May in Jersey
Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by lauriejo
I usually have lots of projects in various stages of construction, but most of them aren't quilting. Do you knit, or embroider, or crochet. Perhaps when you need a break from your current quilt project you could work on a different type of sewing.
This was going to be my suggestion. Being a beginner quilter, I can't start another quilt project until one is complete - I would find it way too confusing. Sometimes, my mind is just not in a place to handle cutting/piecing of a quilt project, so I break out some cross stitching, a book, a magazine or do a little scrapbooking - or simply taking a break from all crafts for a day or two usually sets me back on the right track. There is nothing wrong with your thinking!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mummers
I didn't start quilting until about 15 years ago. Working for Hancocks part time gave me opportunity to be in a fabric store more than I should have. After 11 years of working a full time job as a secretary and part time at the fabric store I have more than enough stash. I love scrap quilts the best I have about 5 or 6 projects in some level of progress. I guess the reason I love quilting is that it satisfies my creative nature. Unless I'm really "hook" on a pattern or have a deadline I can go from one project to another without much problem. I do get project finished and seldom in a hurry to get it done. Like I said unless there is a deadline. Quilting is the one area of my life that I have control over, so I'm seldom in a hurry. My son is 35 and I've been divorced since he was 3. Quilting has been my drug of choice. It's a very creative outlet for me. It's helped me break many bad habits. Such as I have to be perfect or no one will love me. I use to think I had to tell were all my mistakes were or I'd be cheating. Well if i don't tell you you probably won't ever now. And most importantly if you a true friend, you'll still love me any way. When I first started quilting I thought I should be able to relax. I wasn't relaxing. I've since learned to relax and discovered that I'm really very good at color selection and very creative. So my advise to you is, don't forget to breath. It's very important. Mix up the rules. Stay with the project until it's done or don't. It's you hobbie, it's your outlet, ENJOY!!!!!
Beautifully written. You truly made lemonade from lemons. Quilt happily on :thumbup:
Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 AM

I'm trying to train myself to do one project to completion. I have several in the works and it's bothering me a lot to have so many unfinished items. I'm also working on knitting a shawl and a needle point project. I'm getting really frustrated with all of the unfinished items and making me not want to work on any of them. I'm making a list of the projects and will work my way down it one at a time then work on finishing each project before starting another one.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM

Same here, no new book until current books is read - no new quilt, until current quilt is finished!! That just seems to be the way we were raised, although I am sure there are worse traits to have!!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:11 PM

I do the same thing! I'm your age and was raised the same way. It's hard for me to start a new project until I've finished the one I'm working on. If you find a cure, let me know.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mummers
I didn't start quilting until about 15 years ago. Working for Hancocks part time gave me opportunity to be in a fabric store more than I should have. After 11 years of working a full time job as a secretary and part time at the fabric store I have more than enough stash. I love scrap quilts the best I have about 5 or 6 projects in some level of progress. I guess the reason I love quilting is that it satisfies my creative nature. Unless I'm really "hook" on a pattern or have a deadline I can go from one project to another without much problem. I do get project finished and seldom in a hurry to get it done. Like I said unless there is a deadline. Quilting is the one area of my life that I have control over, so I'm seldom in a hurry. My son is 35 and I've been divorced since he was 3. Quilting has been my drug of choice. It's a very creative outlet for me. It's helped me break many bad habits. Such as I have to be perfect or no one will love me. I use to think I had to tell were all my mistakes were or I'd be cheating. Well if i don't tell you you probably won't ever now. And most importantly if you a true friend, you'll still love me any way. When I first started quilting I thought I should be able to relax. I wasn't relaxing. I've since learned to relax and discovered that I'm really very good at color selection and very creative. So my advise to you is, don't forget to breath. It's very important. Mix up the rules. Stay with the project until it's done or don't. It's you hobbie, it's your outlet, ENJOY!!!!!
I completely agree!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:09 PM

I can't imagine the stress an unfinished project would cause if I started something else.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:12 AM

I totally agree with you :thumbup: how ever I am past my 60 and I am having the same problem,is this the same as always eating evry thing on your plate?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I wish I could stay that focused on one project. Be who you are and just enjoy your quilting experience.
:thumbup: