Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some help from you pet lovers...... >

Need some help from you pet lovers......

Need some help from you pet lovers......

Old 08-30-2010, 07:39 AM

My dogs love quilts, fleecys, and blankets. They like lots of 'stuff' to arrange a nest to their personal taste!
Here's a link you might like:
http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/Qu...ltPatterns.htm
and here's another one:
http://www.justimaginedesigns.com/dogsandquilts.html
Old 08-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

My suggesttion would be to make them blankets out of denim because its very durable. My dog starts digging in her bed and if she had a thin quilt down there on bed her nails probably would go through the quilts. Label them with the couples names and dates.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:09 AM

I use to make my dogs beds they look like the big bean bag chairs but in the shape of a dog and a dog face with long ears. I think it is a McCalls pattern from years ago.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by himnherr
I would like to make a friend of mine something for her 2 beloved dogs. One is smallish cutesy and one is not- smallish or cutesy! :lol: Actually, she's not that bad- just not to my liking- but they are both very special to her. So, I was wondering- do dogs use blankets ? (i.e. quilts) or do I need to make it a compete boxy type pad with foam or something in it? I'm leaning toward wanting to make them small blankets for their already existing beds. I have lots of denim and even some fabric that looks like mattress ticking.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Wanna know why I'm making these? She's getting married for her first time (she's 56 years old) has always just had pets- not children. When I looked on their bridal registry I noticed they had listed some pet stuff. I'd love to make her something for them since they have been a huge part of her life. If you have a better idea than a doggie blanket, please do tell....
My great dane loves blankets; and loves the purple quilt I made her last week. They like to squish them up and make a nest to cuddle in. Fleece works really well, very washable. You could put fleece on one side and quilt squares on the other and then just stitch on the diagonal in both directions. I would use doggie prints.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:46 AM

I have no ideas on the dog gifts other than the blankets only because I just made one for my daughters dog. He is her baby.But I have to tell you I am just sitting here laughing out loud at your Cat pic. It is priceless.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 AM

Here is my thought, I have 3 dogs, both small & large. They love nice size blankets. But here is a thought, what about dog hankerchief for around their neck & across their back, like the groomer does after the dog gets groomed.
Or, how about making thick warm coats for them for the wintertime. I think the denum is a great idea. My dogs loves to roll up in mine.
Or, how about a cloth collar?
Well, that does it for my suggestions.
Turtlerouge
Old 08-30-2010, 08:59 AM

I have make numerous quilts for dog raffles - fundraisers for rescue groups. And the dog quilts are always a huge hit. I make the front with denim and/or heavyweight cottons, don't use any batting, and use no-pill fleece for backing. They always go over well and are really handy to have. I have several that I use in the van on the seats and on the floor so that everybody can find a spot to lay down. I also use the larger ones on the couch and big chair. It is so much easier to throw the quilt in the wash than dealing with the upholstery.

When the fleece is on sal e at Hancock, I purchase a full bolt - or two - in the heather gray color, because it goes 'with' everything. But there are so many colors that you can really go wild.

I have also made quilts/blankets out of just fleece - front and back. The older dogs seem to realy like them. They don't 'dig' inthem as much as the younger ones and they really like the cuddle feel of the fleece.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Twilliebee
My dogs love quilts, fleecys, and blankets. They like lots of 'stuff' to arrange a nest to their personal taste!
Sounds like my dogs...and cats! :D
Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 AM

I've made many doggie and kitty quilts and they have loved them. Never had a problem. There are adorable fabrics out there for them also.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:10 AM

Just a quick note, when I made one for ours, I used the threads and slivers of fabric from sewing. I have two baskets near my sewing area, trash in one, all the clippings not lge enough to use in any other project. it is soft and cuddley, and you don't have to pay for stuffing!!