Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some help from you pet lovers......

Blog Entries
    My 2 that are part chihuahua part daschund both love to root around in a blankie or old shirt or rag until they get underneath the thing, and sleep there.
    So yes, I'd say they'd love their own blankies.

Tippi, My little pug claims any quilt that is on e sofa or a comfy chair. I keep a small one just for her and she always "adjusts" it with her paws before settling down. A friend makes her two dogs matching bandanas for special occasions and sometime the female dog (which happens to be my Tippi's mother) greets visitors wearing giant pearls strung by my friend. I tried that but Tippi thought the pearls were edible....There are also cute dog applique patterns on the market that would make neat pillows or throws. Tipp sleeps on pillow I covered with denim. I can take off cover and wash.

I have 2 large and 2 small dogs, none of them like to cover
    up. Mostly they lay on the floor or on the couch.
    Sharon W.

I think a blanket sounds great! My dogs love to lay on anything. They have beds, but they love a rug, sheets on the floor when I strip the bed...anything will do! I guess it depends on the age and disposition of the dog as to materials. Mine were never chewers or diggers, so they are easy on fabric! Just want to be sure it's washable!

I made a blanket sort of for my dog that likes to get way down under the blanket. Also my daughter used these for her farrets. That is where i got the idea from a ferret catalogue. I made a retangle blanket and folded it in half sewed up one short end and the long end. Then on the other end I sewed polyester horsehair braid. It will keep the opening where they crawl into the sleeping bag open. You just have to remember to make it deep enough.

I had made my first blue jean rag quilt only to set it down and turn around and find my corgi all stretched out on it and every time I wasnt looking she was on it So I made her one in her size. Now I have a doxie who fights with her for it so I am going to make another one.They are both very warm and very durable

My dog LOVES his quilts! Also, I made a receiving blanket and I didn't like how it turned out so I put it on the floor by the front door to donate it to a local animal shelter. My dog grabbed it in his mouth and rolled on the floor wrapping himself in it. I didn't have the heart to give it away! He is a big, dark brown and white pit bull and the blanket is bright pink with ribbons on it. He looks hilarious dragging this blanket around.

Blog Entries
    my dogs use and love thier quilts too! they are JRT's and so they burrow in them..

I know she will love whatever you make..........so do what makes you happy.
    Jo Ann

Blankets/quilts . Collar covers can be fancied up and super simple to make. Collar scarves. They look like bandanas but slide over the collar instead of tying. You can use 2 different fabrics too.

Blog Entries
    My dogs (airedales) love beds, quilts, sofas - anything soft.
    I think quilts would be good.
    Another idea, since you live in cool climate, would be to decide definitely if the dogs are small, medium or large and make them a dog coat for the winter. The main part could be a quilted back. That part would be oblong. Then put straps to go under the belly in two places and one from shoulder to shoulder.

My baby, my avatar, got my first quilt. I couldn't keep him off it and since it had all kinds of mistakes and mismatches in it it was his.

LOL, my dogs love blankets AND pillows! The bulldog sleeps with me and is ALWAYS trying to steal my pillow! If I get up in the night, pillow is GONE! I woulddo the quilt out of something durable to, as mine scratch at the quilts too, like fluff them up or something. Its so cute,but their nails probaly could poke through!

Blog Entries
    I would suggest buying some fleece with doggy designs and make a blankie out of that. If you wanted to make a quilt, make one out of the fleece. You don't have to use batting or backing. I would avoid making fringe out of the seams, as dogs love to pull those apart.
    I had a fleece blankie that I gave to the dogs. There is still part of it left around here somewhere.

Make them a quilt with polar fleece. Both my dog and cats love the fleece - the cats even in summer. And you can buy remnants to make it . I have to watch to keep my animals off when we are making fleece blankets for charity. You can also take the selvedge you cut off, braid it and make a great "tug" toy for them.
    Cathy

I have made the doggie 'capes' or shirts, and they are also a hit.

Of course, I think you could never go wrong with a quilt, and denim sounds like a perfect choice.

I have a friend that is an animal lover and her dogs love quilts. I would make doggie quilts for their excisting beds.

I HAVE MADE MY DAUGHTERS DOG SEVERAL DOG BEDS
    AND BLANKETS TO MATCH. HE LOVES THEM!!!
    JUST TAKE TWO TOWELS (THE SIZE TO FIT THE DOG)
    OR ANY MATERIAL YOU WANT AND SEW ON THREE SIDES THEN STUFF WITH BATTING ( I TAKE REGULAR BATTING AND FOLD UP ENOUGH TO BE ABOUT 2 INCHES) AND
    SEW THE LAST SIDE UP. I SEW DOWN THE LAYERS IN
    SPOTS ALL OVER THE TOP. I EVEN EMBROIDER HIS
    NAME ON IT TOO. THE BLANKETS ARE MADE FROM
    FLEECE MATERIAL TO MATCH THE BED. THEY ARE
    SUPER EASY TO DO.

YOUR FRIEND WILL BE SO PLEASED THAT YOU DID THIS
    FOR HER.

I have made many quilts using fleece for my daughter's Golden Retriever. This doesn't require any batting and washes beautifully. I have also made coverings for the pad her crate from flannel and fleece. Her dog also loves strips of fleece knotted to play tug of war with.

Blog Entries
    My mother made a biscuit quilt out of denim (2 colors) as a dog bed. It was really cute and the dog loved it and it held up well.

I am going to make my dog a bed. She loves to lay on quilts but she is getting old and I think she deserves a quilt covered foam pad. And I need to make it removable, so it can be washed. Don't feel to bad, if the dogs are ruff on things. That is just what some dogs do.

I have a Chihuahua and a Chihuahua mix. The only blankies they like are made out of fleece. They ignore any thing else. They definately don't like denim. Now my daughters boxer loves her demin bean bag bed. So maybe the next time you are at there house, look to see what they have and make accordingly.

How about piecing a nice puffy pillow?

My dogs love to have something to scratch around and nest in. I would suggest a good heavy duty fabric like canvas or denim.

My boxer, Duece loves his quilts. He sleeps at the foot of our bed on a thick doggie bed, and in the winter, I cover him up at bed time he lays there all night under his quilt. Denim and more durable fabric are better as his quilt needs more frequent washing. I think making dogs quilts is a great idea. :thumbup:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast