Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need some help from you pet lovers......

Blog Entries
    I have made fleece blankies for my pappillion[Bitsie] and she loves to hide her doggy biscut in them. The one in her bed, she will dig around it to make a ball for her head or even do this hop thing to get it out of her pink, Princess bed. I have also made a quilted pad for inside her crate for when we go away and she is in there.She will try to hide her biscuts under it till we come back and then will eat them. The stinker. I have also bought dog toy squeekers [or taken them out of old toys]sometimes for 25cents at a flea market and made like snakes,bones balls, bears,etc.[of fleece] and also I keep all my fleece scraps and either braid them for a pull toy or use a bunch of small strips and tie them to make a ball. Both these last 2 toys are expensive to buy at pet stores. I like free. I also made a skinny pillow so she can ride between us in the van. I have also made her some easy little coats of fleece for the cold weather.
    As you can tell she is not a very spoiled 2 yr old.We rescued her a yr ago.
    You could just check on the net for homemade dog items.
    Just some ideas and Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I have 5 dogs, 1 large, 3 medium small, and 1 very small, all house babies. They are not so cute to others, but very adorable and cute to us. Two of the med-small dogs burrow and cover themselves up completely. The others like blankets on their beds. (Will even lay their head on a pillow.) When we are sitting with afghans for cover and let part of it lay on the floor, one of the dogs always comes over and lays on it. Throw the afghan on the couch, one of them will always get on it. DOGS LOVE BLANKETS.

My suggestion would be a fleece blanket. My dog loves the softness I guess and likes to rearrange it and curl up in hers.

My pom owns more quilts/blankies than I do. She loves them and drags her quilt of choice around the house. She loves to dig around and get it squished to her liking before she takes a nap and so far has never torn any of them.

Blog Entries
    I have many dog blankets so that I can throw them anywhere in wintertime. I buy comforters at garage sales and cut them into 4-6 blankets for my dogs. Just sew the edges. I can wash them as often as needed without worrying about use since I don't put much time and money into them. Works great for me and my dogs! They never complain.

I had 4 dogs, just lost one recently, so am down to 3. All Pom's so are small. My dogs like my bed, so I got a twin sized cheap quilt to put in their kennel. They love that, but the little guy who sleeps with us, used to like to nest in the bedspread, and totally ruined an expensive spread. So now instead of having it for them to lay on, I make quilts to cover the kennel. They love their kennel, and now they like the privacy. So that quilt matches my bedroom.

Blog Entries
    i have two dogs and i make quilts for them because they are my babies and i put there names on them

My sister has dachshunds, so I made them a bunch of fleece dog coats for the winter. She & the dogs LOVED them!

True dog lovers would love it if you made quilts for their dogs. However, some dogs eat fabric and some eat fluffy batting so if they're not used all the time, you will understand why. They may need supervision when they're using them. My basset hound cannot be allowed in my sewing room because he'll steal pieces of fabric when my back is turned and eat them. Could cause intestinal blockage. My golden will eat fluffy batting if she can get it.

Doggy coats can be made with velcro sewn on strapping for the underneath straps to hold them on. This is the same as our service dog program uses as puppy vests.

There are quilt patterns with dogs appliqued or pieced. You might want to do an internet search. (I love javahousequilts.com for the pattern with the dogs on it)

Blog Entries
    I need to make new "coats" for my part Basenji mix and my pug mix. They get cold in the mornings and sit around shivering. They have outgrown their last year's items.
    My Basenji mix has left his bed for mine. He starts out on top of the covers, then paws me to lift the comforter for him then he crawls under.

JS
    I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback so she is not small. She always has to have a blanket over her whenever she is laying down. No matter where we go I take her blankets. I took her to a board meeting one morning. She was on a blanket on the floor and also one over her.

I have FOUR dogs and Two cats!! All of my dogs hve blankets, quilts and afghans.. they love them when the weather turns cold. they even go to their toy box to get them. Make your friend a quilt for each of her "BABIES" she will love them

I have 2 dogs which are my babies! I took a empty water bottle or pop bottle (plastic) and sewed demin around them , Made it like a sleeve to fit the bottle in and sewed around the demin twice for reinforcement when the bite the the demin it crackles and the love the sound. I used old jeans you could even embroider there names on the demin I make a bunch up each year for our local animal shelter at xmas time every one deserves to be remembered at xmas time. I love animals!

MY four dogs ( three Labs and a little beagle) just love "Blankies" make them a quilt.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I know dogs that lie on quilts and seem to be very happy. Or they could use the quilts to cover a chair while the dogs are on it. So I think make them quilts is a good idea!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeannie t
    I have 2 dogs which are my babies! I took a empty water bottle or pop bottle (plastic) and sewed demin around them , Made it like a sleeve to fit the bottle in and sewed around the demin twice for reinforcement when the bite the the demin it crackles and the love the sound. I used old jeans you could even embroider there names on the demin I make a bunch up each year for our local animal shelter at xmas time every one deserves to be remembered at xmas time. I love animals!
    That's a great idea. I may try that as 3 of my dogs love toys. Where did you get the dog coat in your pic? I like the velcro opening. Otherwise my dogs are like Houdini. There's not a sweater or other they can't escape out of. :)

Blog Entries
    Dogs absolutely love blankets so they can burrow into them, dig into them and ruffle them up to get comfy in. I made mine a fleece blanket (quick and easy) but she also has one of my older quilts in her other bed.

My 2 boxers, one grown and one baby both love pillow type beds and blankets. Here is what I have made for them:

http://www.craftandfabriclinks.com/p...llow_case.html

They are great you can make them to fit pillows or make a pillow to put in them. I also like them because you can pull them off the pillow replace with a clean one and throw the first in the wash. :thumbup:

Doggie coats are good as well.

Blog Entries
    Many years ago one of my Dobies would insist on being
    covered up with her blankie when we went to bed. She'd
    drag that darn thing around after us, her nails clicking on
    the kitchen floor and bathrooms. She'd go to bed on the
    carpet when we would cover her up, there she'd stay till
    morning.

Another Dobe wanted no one else to touch his own blankie,
    he'd even snarl at my husband when he decided it needed
    washing and attempted to pick it up.

I'd ask her what her own fur kids liked, then you'd have a
    better idea of what kind and size to make. And thank you
    for not thinking she's touched because she asked for pet
    stuff on her bridal registry. We all love our fur kids, small
    and/or large.

Mine has her quilt, her fleece blankey, and two or three sweaters made from fleece. She loves them all

Dogs definitely like to have their own blankies. My very first completed quilt was for our JR. My husbands thought it was hilarious that the dog got the first one. Dog - Ollie, is very put out when his quilt needs to be washed and it isn't on the bed for him. He has 3 foam beds throughout the house, but prefers to sleep on his quilt. :)

little stuffed dolls shaped like dogs - one dressed like a bride and one dressed like a groom. they could have squeakers inside or rattles. if she has a sense of humour, she'll have a good laugh.

otherwise i would give a gift certificate to Walmart's pet department or Petco. who knows what her dogs like? it's not like you can ask them. maybe they'd like a cat, or some other special treat.

oh, to play with, of course. not the other. :oops:

Blog Entries
    I make all kinds of things for my 'baby'. Kirby is a Maltese and the king of our house. I make him jackets for summer and winter. Winter ones are made of fleece and summer just cotton. I make him quilted pads for his bed and he loves just a piece of fleece on the floor by me and one on my bed for night time.

I make blankets for my dogs ,my kids dogs and my friends dogs.all the dogs love there blankets. I try to either tie the blanket or have one end with velcro, Just so it can be washed more often then a normal blanket.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast