Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some help from you pet lovers...... >

Need some help from you pet lovers......

Need some help from you pet lovers......

Old 08-30-2010, 06:05 PM

I had made my first blue jean rag quilt only to set it down and turn around and find my corgi all stretched out on it and every time I wasnt looking she was on it So I made her one in her size. Now I have a doxie who fights with her for it so I am going to make another one.They are both very warm and very durable
Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 PM

My dog LOVES his quilts! Also, I made a receiving blanket and I didn't like how it turned out so I put it on the floor by the front door to donate it to a local animal shelter. My dog grabbed it in his mouth and rolled on the floor wrapping himself in it. I didn't have the heart to give it away! He is a big, dark brown and white pit bull and the blanket is bright pink with ribbons on it. He looks hilarious dragging this blanket around.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:14 AM

my dogs use and love thier quilts too! they are JRT's and so they burrow in them..
Old 08-31-2010, 03:47 AM

I know she will love whatever you make..........so do what makes you happy.
Jo Ann
Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 AM

Blankets/quilts . Collar covers can be fancied up and super simple to make. Collar scarves. They look like bandanas but slide over the collar instead of tying. You can use 2 different fabrics too.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:56 AM

My dogs (airedales) love beds, quilts, sofas - anything soft.
I think quilts would be good.
Another idea, since you live in cool climate, would be to decide definitely if the dogs are small, medium or large and make them a dog coat for the winter. The main part could be a quilted back. That part would be oblong. Then put straps to go under the belly in two places and one from shoulder to shoulder.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:15 AM

My baby, my avatar, got my first quilt. I couldn't keep him off it and since it had all kinds of mistakes and mismatches in it it was his.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

LOL, my dogs love blankets AND pillows! The bulldog sleeps with me and is ALWAYS trying to steal my pillow! If I get up in the night, pillow is GONE! I woulddo the quilt out of something durable to, as mine scratch at the quilts too, like fluff them up or something. Its so cute,but their nails probaly could poke through!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:57 AM

I would suggest buying some fleece with doggy designs and make a blankie out of that. If you wanted to make a quilt, make one out of the fleece. You don't have to use batting or backing. I would avoid making fringe out of the seams, as dogs love to pull those apart.
I had a fleece blankie that I gave to the dogs. There is still part of it left around here somewhere.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:02 AM

Make them a quilt with polar fleece. Both my dog and cats love the fleece - the cats even in summer. And you can buy remnants to make it . I have to watch to keep my animals off when we are making fleece blankets for charity. You can also take the selvedge you cut off, braid it and make a great "tug" toy for them.
Cathy