Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Need some help from you pet lovers......

Neither of my kids had anything special they carried around when they were little. Then came the dog who drug his "blankie" around wherever he went. When he died last December, we buried it with him.

Quote Originally Posted by himnherr
    I would like to make a friend of mine something for her 2 beloved dogs. One is smallish cutesy and one is not- smallish or cutesy! :lol: Actually, she's not that bad- just not to my liking- but they are both very special to her. So, I was wondering- do dogs use blankets ? (i.e. quilts) or do I need to make it a compete boxy type pad with foam or something in it? I'm leaning toward wanting to make them small blankets for their already existing beds. I have lots of denim and even some fabric that looks like mattress ticking.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Wanna know why I'm making these? She's getting married for her first time (she's 56 years old) has always just had pets- not children. When I looked on their bridal registry I noticed they had listed some pet stuff. I'd love to make her something for them since they have been a huge part of her life. If you have a better idea than a doggie blanket, please do tell....
    I just made a pillowcase for my dog . I use it on a old pillow for her cage. They are easy to make and you can get a lot of cute prints at Joann's or the quilt store. She also loves to lay on our flannel quilts in the winter. Easy to make... just sandwich flannel and batting and tie it.

my terri poo loves not only a quilt, but blankets that I have crocheted or knitted. the cat prefers her princess kitty polar fleece, and the ferrets love quilts and sleeping bags. I would say sturdy fabrics, strong seams and a nice touch would be to personalize each one somehow. Very nice idea!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
    I made a quilt for Henry, my Golden Retriever. He decided that the best place to have a nap in this entire house is the living room chair. So I made this quilt to cover the chair to try to keep his hairs and drools off the furniture. He was a bit afraid at first to get up in the chair with the quilt on it but he has settled in nicely and naps there every morning.
    Henry is beautiful!!

@ himnherr...what a wonderful way to acknowledge your friend's love for her babies! They will be a big part of her new family and that is a great way to include them.

You can dress the pet for the wedding.
    You could emb some large towels for the dogs bath and add the pets name to there dog dish.
    You could also do the Bride and groom a set also and put a dog on one of the towels with there names.

I had some leftover dog paper pieced dog blocks and I used them up and made a dog quilt. It came out so cute with doggie backing fabric.

I have also made several cat quilts. The cats love them.

I would make a dog quilt for your friend's dogs.

I would like to make a friend of mine something for her 2 beloved dogs. One is smallish cutesy and one is not- smallish or cutesy! :lol: Actually, she's not that bad- just not to my liking- but they are both very special to her. So, I was wondering- do dogs use blankets ? (i.e. quilts) or do I need to make it a compete boxy type pad with foam or something in it? I'm leaning toward wanting to make them small blankets for their already existing beds. I have lots of denim and even some fabric that looks like mattress ticking.
    Wanna know why I'm making these? She's getting married for her first time (she's 56 years old) has always just had pets- not children. When I looked on their bridal registry I noticed they had listed some pet stuff. I'd love to make her something for them since they have been a huge part of her life. If you have a better idea than a doggie blanket, please do tell....
    I have a dog quilt pattern. I ended up with 2 of them I can send you the other pattern. what kind of dog do they have it might be on the pattern

Power Poster
    I have a large piece of foam, kind of square in shape, and a quilt thrown over it and tucked under for my dog. I leave it just thrown over and tucked under so I can easily pick it up and wash it. My dog loves it.

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    I would definitely make blankets or quilts and put their names on them..

One nice thing about a quilt or blanket is that they can be WASHED. I have blankets and beds that I rotate in use so that when I wash one batch, they have another to lie on. They love to snooze in the sun in front of the patio door in the morning and gee, they'd better be comfortable doing it!(or so they tell me) :) Yes, yes, OK they're spoiled, I admit it. :)

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    When I make a sleeping pad for my dogs or cat I make it 4 times bigger than the area it's intended for. That way I can fold it in quarters, which makes it nice and thick, and as it picks up their shed fur I can flip it and fold it and refold it several times clean side up before having to wash it. I have to run it through the dryer on air fluff with a softener sheet a few times to shake out the fur before putting it into the washer. I swear they shed so much I could build a whole new dog with the hair I sweep up!

I made quilts for my little "Jill Russell" miss Maggie! She loves to snuggle up in them. She isn't a year yet but hasn't chewed them up. She loves to curl in a blanket at my feet while I sew.

My cocker spaniel loves my quilts and will scratch them into a little "nest" and almost cover herself up with it if I let her. I try not to let her scratch very often on them because it does snag and break seams.

My three dogs--a diabetic blind Schnauzer named Angel Bear, a rescue Pomeranian named Gucci (who is the most beautiful Pom in the world) and an exuberant Yorkie named Booger Bear-- take their naps on fleece pillows stuffed with fiberfill.

The fleece is not the sturdiest for dogs who like to rearrange their beds, so there are pinholes in it and the fiberfill bleeds through.

Their quilts also are riddled with holes, but it took longer for the batting to come through, partly because batting is sturdier than fiberfill and partly because the holes in cotton don't stretch so quickly.

I have made both fleece pillows and quilts for my dogs and for friends and both the dogs and the friends have seemed to appreciate them.

Anything you give a pet lover will be treasured, but you need to know it will be subject to dog activities. There is no way to "take care" of a dog quilt!

Blog Entries
    My dog loves quilts and blankets. He does not chew them up. He loves lying on them.

I have a Dashound Buster he uses a blanket year around.

When I had my other dogs they had their blankets too and they took them to doggie heaven when they left us.

Blog Entries
    I have made ones from denim & flannel like a rag quilt. My Gracie just loves hers in the winter & on cool nights laying around the house. They hold up very well & no batting to come out if it gets a hoel from all the loving. ;-)

Blog Entries
    I would make the doggy blankets without batting. If they are shredders, the batting will be everywhere. Use flannel or fleece in place of the batting.

Dee
    My Baby Kokoa has three quilts. She is 15 and gets cooler at nite and loves the blankie on.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    when I had my dogs, they loved there blankets, they would get so excited after there bath, when I would put down a clean blanket for them. God bless.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    My great dane loves blankets; and loves the purple quilt I made her last week. They like to squish them up and make a nest to cuddle in. Fleece works really well, very washable. You could put fleece on one side and quilt squares on the other and then just stitch on the diagonal in both directions. I would use doggie prints.
    I'm with you on this one, with one exception. Use the fleece, forget the piecing. My Scotties love to burrow and nest, digging and digging - as they were bred to do. Anything pieced will get shredded in this house so they aren't allowed on my quilts. I think they'd shy away from something as tough as denim. They love their fleece lined crates and ottoman cover made from a cotton bath mat. So, my recommendation would be to buy some cute doggie-patterned fleece, fringe the edges, tie cloth ribbons/bows around them and present the new bride & groom with 2 hand made, thoughtful gifts.

My Lucy loves quilts but she also likes the toys I make her. I traced a dog bone treat and blew it up---cut it out and stuffed it, went to the thrift store and bought a couple of animals with squeakers in them and put them in the bone---she loves it. Also took 3 pieces of fleece cut 3 inches wide by width and braided them together knotting at each end and made her tug of war rope. The vets say it is easier on their gums than a rope and I can throw it in the washing machine to clean it. You could make a smaller one and a larger one for them. Denim sounds good for the quilts---I would definitely recommend at least 1/2 inch seams and quilt them close by machine.

I didn't read the whole thread so this might have already been mentioned, but when my dogs stay at the vets, they always come home wearing a triangle scarf of pawprint fabric. Somewhow incorporating the wdding into the design of it would be cool

I made a quilt for my cat.Now she wont need it any more. My daughter had 2 dogs and they use old blankets and bags for their bed. Do not put foam in because the dogs will chew it up and can get pieces in their throats.

I think your friend will be tickled pink that you want to make something for her dogs. We have always had dogs and they do become like family. My husband and I joke that now that our human kids are grown, the five four legged animals that share our lives are like our "kids" (3 dogs, 2 cats).

I've made several square boxy style beds that my dogs love. Our pups are getting up there in age so I used what was left of a memory foam bed pad my daughter's dog chewed on and made covers with zippers so they are easily removed and washed.

Our middle pup has adopted the couch (with blanket, of course) as hers. When she was having difficulties with her knee I made her a "floor couch (I think it was a McCalls sewing pattern) so she wouldn't have to jump and they all love it. My oldest will lay on anything that "smells" of us as long as it is near me.

What ever you choose, use sturdy materials and as someone suggested, extra space in the seam allowance. It probably goes without saying the make sure it is easily washable (fabric & size wise). Have fun!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4