Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some help from you pet lovers...... >

Need some help from you pet lovers......

Need some help from you pet lovers......

Old 08-31-2010, 07:42 AM

I have made fleece blankies for my pappillion[Bitsie] and she loves to hide her doggy biscut in them. The one in her bed, she will dig around it to make a ball for her head or even do this hop thing to get it out of her pink, Princess bed. I have also made a quilted pad for inside her crate for when we go away and she is in there.She will try to hide her biscuts under it till we come back and then will eat them. The stinker. I have also bought dog toy squeekers [or taken them out of old toys]sometimes for 25cents at a flea market and made like snakes,bones balls, bears,etc.[of fleece] and also I keep all my fleece scraps and either braid them for a pull toy or use a bunch of small strips and tie them to make a ball. Both these last 2 toys are expensive to buy at pet stores. I like free. I also made a skinny pillow so she can ride between us in the van. I have also made her some easy little coats of fleece for the cold weather.
As you can tell she is not a very spoiled 2 yr old.We rescued her a yr ago.
You could just check on the net for homemade dog items.
Just some ideas and Good luck.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 AM

I have 5 dogs, 1 large, 3 medium small, and 1 very small, all house babies. They are not so cute to others, but very adorable and cute to us. Two of the med-small dogs burrow and cover themselves up completely. The others like blankets on their beds. (Will even lay their head on a pillow.) When we are sitting with afghans for cover and let part of it lay on the floor, one of the dogs always comes over and lays on it. Throw the afghan on the couch, one of them will always get on it. DOGS LOVE BLANKETS.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:01 AM

My suggestion would be a fleece blanket. My dog loves the softness I guess and likes to rearrange it and curl up in hers.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:12 AM

My pom owns more quilts/blankies than I do. She loves them and drags her quilt of choice around the house. She loves to dig around and get it squished to her liking before she takes a nap and so far has never torn any of them.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:12 AM

I have many dog blankets so that I can throw them anywhere in wintertime. I buy comforters at garage sales and cut them into 4-6 blankets for my dogs. Just sew the edges. I can wash them as often as needed without worrying about use since I don't put much time and money into them. Works great for me and my dogs! They never complain.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:47 AM

I had 4 dogs, just lost one recently, so am down to 3. All Pom's so are small. My dogs like my bed, so I got a twin sized cheap quilt to put in their kennel. They love that, but the little guy who sleeps with us, used to like to nest in the bedspread, and totally ruined an expensive spread. So now instead of having it for them to lay on, I make quilts to cover the kennel. They love their kennel, and now they like the privacy. So that quilt matches my bedroom.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:00 AM

i have two dogs and i make quilts for them because they are my babies and i put there names on them
Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 AM

My sister has dachshunds, so I made them a bunch of fleece dog coats for the winter. She & the dogs LOVED them!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:23 AM

True dog lovers would love it if you made quilts for their dogs. However, some dogs eat fabric and some eat fluffy batting so if they're not used all the time, you will understand why. They may need supervision when they're using them. My basset hound cannot be allowed in my sewing room because he'll steal pieces of fabric when my back is turned and eat them. Could cause intestinal blockage. My golden will eat fluffy batting if she can get it.

Doggy coats can be made with velcro sewn on strapping for the underneath straps to hold them on. This is the same as our service dog program uses as puppy vests.

There are quilt patterns with dogs appliqued or pieced. You might want to do an internet search. (I love javahousequilts.com for the pattern with the dogs on it)
Old 08-31-2010, 09:31 AM

I need to make new "coats" for my part Basenji mix and my pug mix. They get cold in the mornings and sit around shivering. They have outgrown their last year's items.
My Basenji mix has left his bed for mine. He starts out on top of the covers, then paws me to lift the comforter for him then he crawls under.