Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some tips...a little overwhelmed >

Need some tips...a little overwhelmed

Need some tips...a little overwhelmed

Old 07-14-2011, 01:12 PM

SHELVES!! What I have found to work best for me, is wire shelving that is no deeper than 12" deep for the fabric. I also want to find some baskets the same depth, as my stacks of fabric can get wonky after pulling them out and putting back. I keep all of my packaged patterns in a cheap little file cabinet, which can double as a small pressing area (Walmart). I found a large kitchen island with casters and tons of storage for $30 (Craigslist or yard sale)..I use it for another cutting area/ multi-purpose surface/ storage, plus I can move it closer for extra quilt stability. I would also buy shelving for your closet...perhaps one of those closet organizers from Lowes/ Walmart, or the wire shelving that you can design/ install yourself.

Hope this helps you get started. Have fun! You will no doubt change it a few times, as you will learn what/ where you need things as time goes by. I can't get mine perfectly efficient and it's been nearly 2 years! lol
Old 07-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

I recently realized that the way my sewing space is organized is simply not working. My space is less than 11'x11' so I drew a scale outline of the space on grid paper, made "paper doll" cutouts of all the parts that I know for sure (table, chair, ironing board, etc) and started playing with the layout.

I want a few dedicated spaces: Sewing table, ironing area, cutting area, library, stash, tv and guest chair...... That really helped me define what goes where.

For me, it will be a while because I will have to empty everything and have DH cut down the depth of my cabinets. I want them smaller and no doors (or glass doors) so I can see my stuff (visual person to the max).

Don't look at it as ONE project - break it down into sections and steps.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM

Shelves with doors, baskets with covers, curtains around the cutting table to hid fabirc, mats...that will make the room look neat.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by nyelphaba
I wish I had your problem. Maybe as you settle in and start sewing there the space will become more familiar, and you will know how you want it set up.
I agree, although you will probably need a minimum of things to get started. I first started in a little corner of the basement, next moved to about 1/3 of the guest room, now I have my own room and although it isn't large--it's about 12x14--I have rearranged it until I have everything I need. One thing I do recommend is keeping your fabric in a closet with closing doors to protect your fabric from sunlight. I think over time you will find what you need. Why buy alot of things you'll never use, IMHO.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Behind me I have a large piece of peg board. It holds all my rulers, needles, rotary cutters and blades, scissors anyhting that can be hung up it's at reach. I have 2 seperate thread holders for my thread which hangs on the wall too. My cutting table doubles as my ironing space too. I don't like alot of things sitting on tables. I need the space.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

I also have a large pegboard and it holds all kinds of goodies!
I think we have a section on sewing rooms, don't we???
It could give you a lot of good ideas :)

So happy for you! New house!! :D
Old 07-14-2011, 03:06 PM

Google "quilt storage" and get ideas from some incredible rooms. Some are even on utbe. Here's one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkTlaMqRlwo
Old 07-14-2011, 03:14 PM

I googled sewing room designs for ideas. Try this website. You will arrange and start sewing and then rearrange to fit you better. Good Luck and have fun.

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ing-studo.html
Old 07-14-2011, 03:16 PM

Thanks for all the great replies! I am so overwhelmed that all these suggestions are good ones! Thank you so much, and I"ll make sure to post pictures as I get this done
Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 PM

i had the same problem it took me several months but here is some pictures of after http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87898-1.htm I had to make my self a promise and i unpacked at least one box or container a day.