Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some tips...a little overwhelmed >

Need some tips...a little overwhelmed

Need some tips...a little overwhelmed

Old 07-14-2011, 04:27 PM

What wonderful ideas and suggestions! The main thing is to be flexible ... try something, then try something else. As you work in your room, you'll begin to make changes. Give your self time to enjoy setting your room up. Have fun!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:16 AM
saf

Originally Posted by mrsj82
Hello all. I'm just trying to get some tips on a subject that has me completely flummoxed.

Recently we've moved into a new home (YAY!) and my quilting space has grown exponentially. The problem being is that I have absolutely no idea how to organize said space. I am used to having everything shoved away in bins out of sight, and the sewing space I've always dreamed of is now upon me, and I"m completely overwhelmed.

How does one organize five years of quilting stuff (in boxes and bins) into an organized at your fingertips room/space? I don't even know where to begin so any tips you have would be very much appreciated. I've attached some pictures of the space I have to work with and hoping someone can give me a jumping off point. Thanks!
You lucky girl. Just start putting things on shelves. If they aren't to your liking you can soon move them. Put the things you use most often nearest to hand and go from there.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by EdieClay
What wonderful ideas and suggestions! The main thing is to be flexible ... try something, then try something else. As you work in your room, you'll begin to make changes. Give your self time to enjoy setting your room up. Have fun!
I think this is the best advice! Don't stress out about it. Try to incorporate the ideas here that work for you. If you try something and it isn't working for you, try something else!
When my DH built my new sewing room, he put in a pull-down attic stairs, then spread plywood on the joists in the attic, and helped me haul my totes of stash up the stairs! Keeps me young having to climb the stairs when I need a piece of pink or orange! :)
Old 07-15-2011, 03:54 AM

Peg boards worked for me. I'm a real "gadget" person.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-226666.jpe   attachment-226667.jpe  
Old 07-15-2011, 03:54 AM

Oops!! Guess I hit sent two times
Old 07-15-2011, 04:23 AM

I don't have as much space as you but I like my fabric organized with fat quarters in one place and yardage in another. I organize my fabric by colors. There is also a spot for fabric that doesn't fit into the specific color category theme. Rulers in one space, I need pegboard for them. There is an area for each different thing. Love having room. We are discussing downsizing. I told my DH I won't move to a house without a sewing room.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:33 AM

Here's a link to the QB Sewing Room Gallery. Maybe looking thru pictures of other's rooms will give you some ideas. I know it did for me!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-136076-1.htm
Old 07-15-2011, 05:51 AM

Wonderful space! Just start.....put thing wherever. When you begin to live in the room and actually begin sewing you will rearrange as you see the need. Lots of shelves would be a great start :-D
Old 07-15-2011, 06:02 AM

I think the ladies have given you amazing ideas. The only thing I would suggest is that before you move furniture, etc. perhaps sketch it out on graph paper to make sure you like the layout first. Good luck and enjoy your new space!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 AM

Keep those pictures. One day you are going to ask your self what happen to this room. Go slowly at putting you room together shelves and clear plastic containers are a big must.