Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The new Featherweight machine,,,,,,,,, >

The new Featherweight machine,,,,,,,,,

The new Featherweight machine,,,,,,,,,

Old 10-11-2011, 12:28 PM

I said it in the other thread, and I'll say it here too. Sewing machines are NOT a good investment, unless you have a sewing business and they will pay for themselves.

There is no doubt in mind mind that if I was to die tomorrow, and William got his wish and got to sell my machines, he will in no way get what was paid for the modern machines, and being as we're talking about tomorrow, I doubt he'd get what we paid for the antique/vintage machines! (In this economy!) He'd get more for the ones I got excellent deals on, and less for those I paid a bit more for.

If you want the Singer Anniversary edition because you like and want it and it makes you happy, then by all means, go for it. If you buy it because you think you'll make money on it...well...you already know what I think there...
Old 10-11-2011, 12:42 PM

well...its cute...but for the money and ease of repair, I'll take my original FW any day
Old 10-11-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by clsurz
I have the Featherweight computerized machine and love it. It also has several stitches that can be used with it. HSN was selling it for $499 or some such amount and I bought it at JoAnn's online few months ago for $230 and I wouldn't trade it in for anything. This little machine is a workhorse and amazingly the only thing plastic on it is the case. Everything else is metal.
This is the same Featherweight that you have that the Singer engineers finally got right just rebodied to fit the anniversary. But if you look closely and think about the 222K then you will pick up on a few other neat innovations. I have seen the estimated production figures and they are really low, and this machine will be hand built at the Singer plant and not subbed out so the quality will be outstanding. I love this machine because it is user friendly and is also handicap friendly so it does not discriminate folks that have problems with their hands and are unable to use other machines.

Say what you want but I will be dropping the $1200 for a pair and loving every minute of it.

Billy
Is it metal like the FW 75? I wish it had some of the stitches that the FW 75 has.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:37 PM

Oh I just looked at it. I don't care for the shape of it at all. I have a 1952 featherweight and I just love it!!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by clsurz
I have the Featherweight computerized machine and love it. It also has several stitches that can be used with it. HSN was selling it for $499 or some such amount and I bought it at JoAnn's online few months ago for $230 and I wouldn't trade it in for anything. This little machine is a workhorse and amazingly the only thing plastic on it is the case. Everything else is metal.
This is the same Featherweight that you have that the Singer engineers finally got right just rebodied to fit the anniversary. But if you look closely and think about the 222K then you will pick up on a few other neat innovations. I have seen the estimated production figures and they are really low, and this machine will be hand built at the Singer plant and not subbed out so the quality will be outstanding. I love this machine because it is user friendly and is also handicap friendly so it does not discriminate folks that have problems with their hands and are unable to use other machines.

Say what you want but I will be dropping the $1200 for a pair and loving every minute of it.

Billy
Is it metal like the FW 75? I wish it had some of the stitches that the FW 75 has.
Sorry, but in my eyes the FW 75 is plastic, too.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:22 PM

I think it's great that, on this board, we can respectfully disagree with one another! Some of us like vintage, others like brand-spanking-new $10,000 models, and hey, we even let the hand-quilters speak their minds (LOL). Since nobody has actually seen this machine yet, and won't until -next year, I think? - maybe we should stop bashing the poor little thing now! I'm going to take the wait-and-see approach!
Old 10-11-2011, 02:27 PM

I wouldn't personally spend that much on that machine. It is very interesting and hopefully will be an excellent machine for those who do purchase it.

Pat
Old 10-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Banned

LOL I agree with you but if you go to the ISMACS convention in Nashville TN this weekend you can go play with it at the show. I hope to be there and if I can get an order in early I will if they will let me. Sewing machines might not be a good investment but I have to blow my kids inheritance on something and I already have enough cars and bikes to choke a horse!

Billy
Old 10-11-2011, 02:30 PM

I would rather have the real orginal. Infact I have a '56 Singer 99 and wouldn't trade it for the world. I also have a 1917 treadle that can't be beat...............
Old 10-11-2011, 02:45 PM

I have an original FW so I won't be buying another. I'd like to sell some of my antique machines, but not the FW.