Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Quilting program on Public TV in the Spring in Oregon >

New Quilting program on Public TV in the Spring in Oregon

New Quilting program on Public TV in the Spring in Oregon

Old 12-27-2011, 10:03 PM

Oooh I agree with that - I'd like to see needle-turn applique and FMQ demonstrated, and tools like an Aunt Becky. I could NOT figure that out until someone showed me.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:49 PM

I think a blurb here and there on tips for organizing sewing space, stash, etc. would be great. I'll look forward to seeing the show. Please keep us posted on when it will be aired on OPB.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:09 AM

It would be great if the host(s) could avoid selling their products and promoting their website at every opportunity! Once an episode is more than enough. It's also really annoying when they say "see our website for all the details." Of course, then you have to join the website, etc., etc.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:48 PM

Congratulations LadyElisabeth - this sounds really exciting for you! I'll be more than happy to participate in the audience if needed - be part of the cheering section! Oh I can help hold quilts up for show and tell!!

I think sharing different techniques would be nice to learn and maybe about different machines while quilting. A segment on Long Arm Quilting would be nice. Also how about seeing some different sewing rooms and as sew cornie suggested organizing our fabrics, sewing areas and some good sugestions. A segment on batting-all the different types.

What about making a quilt beginning to end in a couple of segments? Including sandwiching together to binding and labeling it? I can't wait please let us know when they air and when you need to fill the audience!!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:28 AM

A 30 minute show sometimes just isn't enough time to cover much. Might I suggest you have series so you can get more in depth. I also think that getting the viewers involved is a good idea, asking for quilting tips or pictures of quilts. I like the idea that someone else had of a day set a side for beginners and advanced. What if you took a simple charm quilt and show how to make it more advanced by adding applique, fancy pieced borders, wavy borders. So on Monday you could show the construction of the beginner quilt and then as the week progressed so did the quilt and the level. At the end of every day the quilt is complete for that level. The next week charms could become nine patches, nine patches to D9P, irish chains with 9 patches, 9 patches with orange peels, nine patches with star points. Budget would be the big problem and someone to sew all the examples. I think too that offering up quilting resources that are cheap or free is also something that draws all of us in. Wish I lived in your area so I could watch the program.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 AM

will this be available on the internet for those of us not in Oregon?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

I always liked the format of the show Simply Quilting that use to be on HGTV. She had various guests on who displayed their patterns and techniques. It also showed new tools for quilting along with suggestions for both hand and machine quilting.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:52 PM

And let's not forget quilt history or art quilts. Oregon is known for both and we are soooooo lucky.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 PM

I would like to see something on machine ribbon embroidery or landscape quilts.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 PM
QM
Power Poster

I hope it comes my way as well. I agree with what has been said before. I enjoy seeing new techniques, tips for little problems and lots of patterns that aren't 9 patches. I think a good show format would cover a range of skill levels, although not necessarily in each program. When I was a newbe, I saw a show on Mariner's Compass that was way beyond my skill level, but I did one anyway. It was imperfect but it was just what my dying friend wanted. One thing I have rarely seen is how to make your own designs.