Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a new slant on our hoard >

a new slant on our hoard

a new slant on our hoard

Old 03-23-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
when I go to the quilt shop my hubby just groans LOL
today we went to a quilt show and it was like a marathon race going thru there with him in tow. 45 minutes flat and we were out. geeeeeeeeeeeez I barely got to see much of anything.
Make it a rule: no kids or husbands at quilt shows unless they know how to doddle, ooohh and ahhhh and agonize over which new peices of equipment or fabrics one needs LOL
Old 03-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I wouldn't feel so silly about "collecting" so many remnants except that I can't seem to bring myself to cut into them. Not even for a 6x6 square! sure is fun to organize it, though. My sewing room is the ONLY organized spot in my house.
Photos please, love to look at organized sewing spaces :D
Old 03-23-2010, 04:58 PM

I buy fabric as much as DH buys his wood for woodworking. At least we didn't have to build a seperate building for my stash. I am lucky though he will take me shopping for fabric and doesn't say a word. Of course I know to stay quiet when he brings home the wood too.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
We were watching the Travel Channel this afternoon. and there was a woman that travels to different areas digging for gems = Oregon, Carolina,. Arkansas (we went there last week - NOTHING) but she was finding stones $$$$$$ DH said we could sell everything, buy a RV and hit ALL the places - which would---pay for our having fun-- I asked which room in the RV could I use for a sewing room. He said I would have to give up sewing..........we will be staying HERE.....
I enjoy my RV and enjoy sewing, but they just don't go together. So much to see when in the RV including visiting fabric and sewing machine shops.
Keep the house and use the RV to go shopping.
See you on the road some where.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:21 PM

I figure that it is a woman's job to help keep the economy going. We have to spend, spend, spend at the quilt stores. In turn that creates jobs for the store owners and the help, it keeps the fabric mills going full tilt and encourages farmers to grow more cotton. This is job creation and in these hard times it is the patriotic thing to do. That's how I explain my very large stash.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:21 PM

Double post. Sorry, must have been dreaming of my stash.

I figure that it is a woman's job to help keep the economy going. We have to spend, spend, spend at the quilt stores. In turn that creates jobs for the store owners and the help, it keeps the fabric mills going full tilt and encourages farmers to grow more cotton. This is job creation and in these hard times it is the patriotic thing to do. That's how I explain my very large stash.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:53 PM

It would be nice if the fabric manfactures brought their factories back to the USA. We could really save more jobs.
Then we could spend more.
Support USA companies.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:56 PM

.[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation. My "nest egg" of fabric could hatch a fabric store. My 'backlog' of 'reserve' 'inventory' that's taken years to 'stockpile' is getting hard to 'store'. The 'cache' that I 'hoard' is a 'treasure' though. I think I need to take 'stock' of it.[/quote]

This is priceless!! :lol:
Old 03-23-2010, 06:09 PM

I must be lucky also...my DH has quit complaining about me buying fabric. This is why: He made the mistake of giving one of my sewing machines away...I gave away 2 of his guns. Lesson learned.

Anyway he don't complain anymore about me buying fabric. I explained to him that unlike his dvds...my fabric will go out of season and no longer be available. I only get complaints about moving him out of living room into the spare bedroom. I will be happy when we get all remodeled and I have a studio!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:13 PM

it is not hoarding! someone on here called it a 401F fund, fabric to use when we retire and can't spend as freely as we did when we worked. I am currently not working (not considered retired just unemployed) and I am already drawing from my 401F fund. DH said he hopes I don't run out of my stash/401F before I retire. No chance of that I am sure.

have a great night,