Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a new slant on our hoard >

a new slant on our hoard

a new slant on our hoard

Old 03-24-2010, 10:26 AM

Actually my prayer is. ... Lord let me live long enough and be healthy enough to use all my stash...I will be very, very old lol

Margie
Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Margie
Actually my prayer is. ... Lord let me live long enough and be healthy enough to use all my stash...I will be very, very old lol

Margie
Guess I'll be living forever.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
We have been talking about down sizing. I told DH I would love to have a smaller place now that all the kids are grown. He said "Well you would have to stop buying material first." :shock: :shock: Guess we will just stay in this large house :lol: :lol: :lol:
We downsized almost 5 years ago and although I love our new home, I did have to sort through and give up years, and years, and years of magazines in like new condition and a 2 bookshelves full of quilting books plus garment patterns, supplies of all kinds because we just couldn't afford to move everything and whatever had to fit into my new smaller computer/sewing/craft room - but at least I did persist and get a room to myself. In IL, we had a 2-1/2 story home and I had a large bedroom and closet on the second story for sewing. In the basement both of our computers lived and I had a storage room and area to do crafts in. We also owned a toner copier and color copier which both had to be sold because there was no room in our new home BUT I LOVE, LOVE, Love our new smaller home but did insist we have to have 3 bedrooms because I have to have a good guest room for when the kids visit us in FL from IL.

Our IL home sold in 7 days so we had only 5 weeks to clear out the house and we thought we'd have a minimum of 4 months but we made it. We had one huge huge garage sale and then donated everything that didn't sell. We had tons of stuff we had to move to the kids as it was their stuff that was still living with us but now, we don't have to worry about that. In our new smaller, more efficient to maintain home, it'll be easier for them to take down with the time comes and I think very carefully before buying "stuff." Whenever we find something we aren't using and don't need, we donate it so someone else can get pleasure from it.

ALL of my quilt fabric DID move with me and Don found a nice armoir to store it in for easy access and to keep the room neat (most of the time.)

Oh yes, I had a wonderfull cutting table that I have no room for but bought one of those cardboard cutting board work surfaces at JoAnn's and use it on our dining room table to do my cutting with a cutting matt on top or open it out on our queen sized bed which is where I do my sandwiching and pin basting. There are ways to adapt in a smaller space while still keeping the home organized. On short notice we allowed friends to use our home for a birthday party. Just had to put a few things where they belong anyway. Now off to do some cutting for the next leg of the round robin in I'm in. Happy House hunting and you'll love it.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 PM

I agree, it is just investing in the future. And a lot of times a friend needs something and the stores aren't open, or just don't have it. So we can help each other out, and have the perfect fabric for a rainy day. Preparing for the future.....YES!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 PM

I have been growing my stash for years. But it ballooned when a friend in my quilt group decided to clear out her leftovers from quilt project. She gave me all her great scraps/pieces that she didn't want. I had to rearrange the room I keep them to get the weight closer to the weight bearing wall because it is in a end room on the addition part of out mobile home & I notice a seam in the wall of my sewing room looked like it was gapped a bit. DD says I have so much weight in this addition he thinks it could come off the house,AH! So I am going to have to get busying sewing all this up & not buy more till I use a LOT of it up. EEEk
Old 03-25-2010, 10:39 AM

i don't know how this works. when we downsized, i had more room than before.
i used to have a medium room, and now i have a basement. somehow fabric just fills up the space you give it. whatever size that space is.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:12 AM

Why do our friends do that to us??? I'm going over to a quilting buddy's house to go through all her stash. She's getting older and wants to get rid of all of it. I love this stuff just as much as the new stuff in the stores. Even more, it's free...
Old 03-26-2010, 01:22 PM

Wish I had started my stash BEFORE I retired.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:57 PM

Recently we had a program at my quilt guild presented by an award winning quilter from another guild who used fabric ONLY from thrift stores and garage sales. She really like shirt fabric and summer clothes fabric. Her quilts are very pretty and old fashioned looking.