Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a new slant on our hoard >

a new slant on our hoard

a new slant on our hoard

Old 03-23-2010, 06:29 PM

I like to think of my stash in many ways...

helps insulate the house, inheiritance for my children and grandchildren, keeps me out of bars and off the streets,

Margie
Old 03-23-2010, 06:46 PM

Not unlike "bling", a girl cannot have too much fabric!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:49 PM

Oh My Gosh! My husband says the same thing. But I jut want to make sure that, if we have a "reversal of fortunes" I will have enough fabric to make whatever I want. Besides I always get my best ideas at 3:00 A.M. and can't run out to my LQS for fabric....
Old 03-24-2010, 02:31 AM

Ha Ha Ninnie, I said the same thing to my dh and I don't want to give up the two bedrooms that I have all my stash and sewing treasures in - so stay as you
Old 03-24-2010, 02:39 AM

Doing spring cleaning im the sewing room - UGH it has taken me days to sort and dust = have not had time to sew and am getting the "jitters" time to take a break and if I can find the darn "quilt from hell" I just may work on it...
Old 03-24-2010, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I've been quilting for a couple years now and honestly have not put together much of a fabric "collection". I just haven't figured out how to buy fabric that doesn't have an intended purpose already. Don't get me wrong, I see TONS of fabric I like all the time, I just can never figure out how much I'm supposed to buy. But I do worry about fabrics I love now being discontinued and not finding them again.

So how much do you ladies buy of fabric that you don't have a purpose for yet? The 3 yards mentioned earlier seems like a little too much.
Don't worry. It will come.

I didn't have much stash until I went on a trip to see relatives last year. It just happened to be close to Keepsake Quilting in New Hampshire and Hancocks of Paducah in Kentucky. I took notes regarding quilts I wanted to make at the time. I bought backing, some FQs, and odds and ends. So now I have stash.

Other than that time, I have tried to buy only what I need. I found a backing yesterday that I will use on a baby quilt. I bought the rest of the bolt, because it was only about another couple of yards.

Just read your question at the end of your post.

If I see a fabric that I could use for a project, I ask myself if it would have possibilities colorwise for another project yet to be determined. If it is a speciality fabric, like the ladybug fabric I just bought, I would say no, but if it is a general overall color and design that could go in a block, then I would consider getting 2 yards more.

I do get 3 yards of fabric if I get some companion fabric to go along with it. This allows me to later to have a broader choice of patterns. That will not be happening again soon, however.

You can always find someone to swap material with, if it comes to that.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:59 AM

I'm with you. That is what I kept telling myself too and now I am retired and quilting as much as I can, which is never enough. I am trying to get over buying too much more fabric as I have fabric bought for more projects than I will probably ever get done.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:07 AM

here is a thought, if we use up our stash, then we wil not have a stash anymore. That sounds like another empty nest syndrome to me.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by watson's mom
I figure that it is a woman's job to help keep the economy going. We have to spend, spend, spend at the quilt stores. In turn that creates jobs for the store owners and the help, it keeps the fabric mills going full tilt and encourages farmers to grow more cotton. This is job creation and in these hard times it is the patriotic thing to do. That's how I explain my very large stash.
I tell my DH the same thing
Old 03-24-2010, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by JudyM
I'm with you. That is what I kept telling myself too and now I am retired and quilting as much as I can, which is never enough. I am trying to get over buying too much more fabric as I have fabric bought for more projects than I will probably ever get done.
:lol: Isn't that the idea!?? :lol: