Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New terminology for me >

New terminology for me

New terminology for me

Old 05-29-2018, 01:12 PM

As has been said already in answer to your post, it looks like two layers of gauze we used for straining when doing fall canning. I looked at some at Walmart, ran my hand over it, chuckled and kept on moving. Don't you wonder where someone got the idea? I could see it used in curtians to let in a lot of light, but not to wrap a squirming baby. The group I sew with has to keep in mind that the items get washed in a river and air dried, so it must hold up.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
It is used for baby items like bibs, swaddles, blankets, etc. look up the brand Aden & Anais and you will see a whole line of very expensive baby items made exclusively from this fabric. My daughters with babies love them!
My daughter loves this fabric for her baby too. So soft and cuddly. Aden & Anais makes nice burp cloths and bibs, and yes, it is expensive. However, sometimes if you're lucky you can catch a sale!
Old 05-30-2018, 04:52 AM

[QUOTE=Beachbaby12;8067361]My daughter loves this fabric for her baby too. So soft and cuddly. Aden & Anais makes nice burp cloths and bibs, and yes, it is expensive. However, sometimes if you're lucky you can catch a sale![/QUOT

Wonder if Joann's sells this fabric?
Old 05-30-2018, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
The fabric is sturdy for its intended use (swaddles and baby wraps), but adding a layer of bating and backing would totally destroy the soft hand of the fabric. It really isn’t woven very tightly, and I would never use it in a quilt. As for durability, my daughter used the things I made her for 6 months, washing frequently, and it held up well. Make sure you use either a serger or a French seam on it for clothing. I would be nervous about the seam unraveling without those techniques.
I agree. I don't even like it for baby things as much as I would the soft cotton knits that were used for swaddles and such when my kids were little (more than 40 years ago). It's no doubt cheaper to produce. It reminds me of the extremely thin, loosely woven tiered skirts that were popular in the 1970's until they were banned because they caught fire too easily.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Lindaschipper- I'm with you. Never heard of it till now.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:27 PM

JoAnn's does carry double gauze & it isn''t too thin. I wasn't thrilled with Walmart's. What I have gotten from my local shop is very nice. I did 2 swaddle blankets for my niece last yr & she really liked them. Will be doing a couple more for her by the end of the year. What the shop has this year is very nice & would be really nice as a summer skirt, wide leg pant or shirt.