Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New terminology for me

New terminology for me

While looking on line for fabrics to add to the ever growing collection I came across two that were described as "Double Gauze". What on earth is that?? Is it like the white gauze used to make Halloween ghosts only thicker? If so, why was it listed under Quilting?? Forgive my ignorance, but I've never heard of this before. Enlighten me................

Liz / Calgary

Power Poster
    Sounds something like the old Curity gauze diapers from the 1960s.

Blog Entries
    My friend made a cute baby bonnet with the double gauze. i had never heard of it either. Cute.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I saw this at a quilt shop. They make baby wraps and baby blankets with it. I am sure there are others uses. It felt lucious. I think you can also make a shirt.

It is used for baby items like bibs, swaddles, blankets, etc. look up the brand Aden & Anais and you will see a whole line of very expensive baby items made exclusively from this fabric. My daughters with babies love them!
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

What do you ladies think about the durability of double gauze? I am leery about making a quilt with it but would love clothing.

The fabric is sturdy for its intended use (swaddles and baby wraps), but adding a layer of bating and backing would totally destroy the soft hand of the fabric. It really isn’t woven very tightly, and I would never use it in a quilt. As for durability, my daughter used the things I made her for 6 months, washing frequently, and it held up well. Make sure you use either a serger or a French seam on it for clothing. I would be nervous about the seam unraveling without those techniques.

It is two layers of gauze fabric which are tacked together somewhat loosely. I have made tops and even a dress from this fabric. It's very soft and needs to be handled gently. I serge all cut edges as soon as I have the pieces cut. I would not use this for piecing, but would make a lovely light baby blanket using the whole cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz92B View Post
    There is a link (check under freebies) to her pattern for a double-gauze quilt.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

As has been said already in answer to your post, it looks like two layers of gauze we used for straining when doing fall canning. I looked at some at Walmart, ran my hand over it, chuckled and kept on moving. Don't you wonder where someone got the idea? I could see it used in curtians to let in a lot of light, but not to wrap a squirming baby. The group I sew with has to keep in mind that the items get washed in a river and air dried, so it must hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
    It is used for baby items like bibs, swaddles, blankets, etc. look up the brand Aden & Anais and you will see a whole line of very expensive baby items made exclusively from this fabric. My daughters with babies love them!
    My daughter loves this fabric for her baby too. So soft and cuddly. Aden & Anais makes nice burp cloths and bibs, and yes, it is expensive. However, sometimes if you're lucky you can catch a sale!

[QUOTE=Beachbaby12;8067361]My daughter loves this fabric for her baby too. So soft and cuddly. Aden & Anais makes nice burp cloths and bibs, and yes, it is expensive. However, sometimes if you're lucky you can catch a sale![/QUOT

Wonder if Joann's sells this fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
    The fabric is sturdy for its intended use (swaddles and baby wraps), but adding a layer of bating and backing would totally destroy the soft hand of the fabric. It really isn’t woven very tightly, and I would never use it in a quilt. As for durability, my daughter used the things I made her for 6 months, washing frequently, and it held up well. Make sure you use either a serger or a French seam on it for clothing. I would be nervous about the seam unraveling without those techniques.
    I agree. I don't even like it for baby things as much as I would the soft cotton knits that were used for swaddles and such when my kids were little (more than 40 years ago). It's no doubt cheaper to produce. It reminds me of the extremely thin, loosely woven tiered skirts that were popular in the 1970's until they were banned because they caught fire too easily.
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

Lindaschipper- I'm with you. Never heard of it till now.

JoAnn's does carry double gauze & it isn''t too thin. I wasn't thrilled with Walmart's. What I have gotten from my local shop is very nice. I did 2 swaddle blankets for my niece last yr & she really liked them. Will be doing a couple more for her by the end of the year. What the shop has this year is very nice & would be really nice as a summer skirt, wide leg pant or shirt.