Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric? >

NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric?

NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric?

Old 11-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JulieR View Post
Yes. Greed on the parts of those who don't think they should have to follow the law.
And it is nice that we don't have to agree. They already made money when the fabric was sold, that should be the end of it!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:59 PM

So do the manufactures expect us to just buy their fabric and look at it? I hadn't heard about this but find it completely rediculous. Just my opinion.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by KimS View Post
So do the manufactures expect us to just buy their fabric and look at it? I hadn't heard about this but find it completely rediculous. Just my opinion.
They just expect you to buy their fabric and make something for your own personal use or to give away. The holder of the copyright gets to decide who distributes or profits from their design. When they print it on the selvedge, they are making their intentions clear.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:04 PM

That's kind of scary - what happens if you buy scrap fabric that the selvage has been cut off of ?
Old 11-20-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
I am currently working with a fabric that has "License is required for any use beyond individual consumption". It is a Warren Kimble for Quilting Treasures fabric. I'm now hesitant to sell these items at a craft show.

If I see this kind of disclaimer on fabrics again I will definitely boycott them.
You are wise to not make and sell any item that has this printed on the salvage edge. I work at a fabric store and we can't even make kits out of any print that has that on it. We can sell the fabric but we can't cut it and put it into anything else. FYI the same thing holds true for machine embroidery designs. There is a licence agreement stating that as the purchaser you agree to not sew the designs out and sell the items. I have purchsed some that allow a certain amount to be sewn out and sold, how they know how many one has done is beyond me. Also the brother disney machines are fun, but when you sew out those designs you are not to sell the items. Who knew!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Years ago, I attended a workshop on embroidery digitizing. The digitizer/presenter stated that if we owned an embroidery machine, we should be making money with it. His designs now have a limit on the number you can stitch and sell. I don't get it.

I guess I have to read all selvages from now on. I won't buy it. It just doesn't feel right to me.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
I totally agree with not buying...i.e. boycott.

The fabric I have is not a "team" or "business" type, just a lovely printed pattern.
I just bought one like that to make one of my tote bags. since it is for family, I don't worry, but I think it is ridiculous to put that on fabric like that. Once I pay for it, it is mine. I agree that those who sell thier items should just refuse to buy it. I may even do that too.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:47 AM

I have to disagree with the use of fabrics in kits. The fabrics manufacturers I buy from produce patterns to be used with their fabrics for kitting purposes. I have not heard about not kitting up the fabrics because of the printing on the selvage. Peace, Robert.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-08-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: remove advertising
Old 11-21-2011, 04:55 AM

I posted this on another thread. It is called "First Sale Doctrine""

The doctrine allows the purchaser to transfer (i.e., sell, lend or give away) a particular lawfully made copy of the copyrighted work without permission once it has been obtained. This means that the copyright holder's rights to control the change of ownership of a particular copy ends once ownership of that copy has passed to someone else, as long as the copy itself is not an infringing copy. This doctrine is also referred to as the "right of first sale," "first sale rule," or "exhaustion rule."
Old 11-21-2011, 04:56 AM

The almighty dollar certainly rules our society. The Baltimore baseball team just announced that they are bringing back the old cartoon version of thier logo. They are also switching back to orange instead of the black they have had for a number of years. Now all of the "loyal" fans will have to purchase new sportswear to wear to the games etc.
What really bugs me is fabric with definate "kid friendly" design, especially flannel, that has a warning not to be used in children's sleepwear. I spent my whole childhood in "flannel" pjs. If it is not meant for kids who else would wear or use it?