Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OK I know This Is The Dumbest Question Ever!! >

OK I know This Is The Dumbest Question Ever!!

OK I know This Is The Dumbest Question Ever!!

Old 05-27-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
Originally Posted by Pam
We are having one in August! Wanna come on up? Too much fun!
Here is the info on our retreat. I know it is probably too far for you to get up here, but you can get an idea fo how some of them work. http://www.piecemakersquiltretreat.com
I went to the website and have printed out the info on the quilt retreat. Will have to talk over with DH, I'm sure he will say yes-he can refuse me nothing! See you in August!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Honey
I've been on a mini retreat. It's called Cutting Edge Camp. It is Friday evening and all day Saturday. They provide dinner, lunch and snacks. Everything is cut and ready to go for the projects that she has us do. Usually 3 projects and you get them all done. If you make a mistake and have to rip, the quilting fairys do it for you. I absolutly loved it and plan to go again.
Can you give me contact info for some quilting fairys? Can't pay them much but could provide room and board!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by vschieve
Wanna know what a quilt retreat could max out as? go here:
http://quiltventures.com/qhawaii.htm

Would have to draw from a special account to go there but WHAT A TRIP
Oooooo! Now you've done it!!!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by mrsreeves2
Originally Posted by ctsgjs
marsye,

DO go on a quilting retreat if you get the chance. You will have the time of your life. It is so much fun!

You take your sewing machine, projects, patterns, and all the accoutrements (thread, pins, etc) and spend your time sewing to your heart's content. You get to chat and share ideas, tips, and tricks with other quilters. Often there will be impromptu tutorials on some new technique. Then there's the food! Usually the food is prepared by someone else, but the participants usually bring extra food for snacking. And we all know that quilters always have the bestest snacks and desserts in the world!

So, you spend your retreat time sewing, talking, laughing, and eating with no housework, laundry, or cooking. You go to bed when you want, get up when you want, and have a blast. I thoroughly recommend quilting retreats to everyone.
I want to live the rest of my life at a quilt retreat!!!

Me too!! :lol:
Old 05-27-2010, 06:03 AM

You guys are sooo lucky. I have never been on a quilting retreat. And not likely to either. I don't believe they have such things down here, or if they do they are kept a big secret. But I have often thought they would be great fun: food, wine, quilting and good company. What more could you want?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Originally Posted by vschieve
Wanna know what a quilt retreat could max out as? go here:
http://quiltventures.com/qhawaii.htm

Would have to draw from a special account to go there but WHAT A TRIP

Wow, that would be so much fun!
Double Wow!!!!! Don't know if I'd get much sewing done though :lol:
Old 05-27-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by aussiequilter
You guys are sooo lucky. I have never been on a quilting retreat. And not likely to either. I don't believe they have such things down here, or if they do they are kept a big secret. But I have often thought they would be great fun: food, wine, quilting and good company. What more could you want?
Do you belong to a quilt guild? If so, maybe you could get someone to organize one. If not, pick a place to go, mix with a few friends, and have a GREAT time!! :D Teachers aren't necessary -- you can all learn from each other!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Melody
Originally Posted by dar627742
Originally Posted by craftybear
awesome who put on the retreat? I live about 2 hours from Shipshewana, Indiana

I would love to find a retreat!

Craftybear

Originally Posted by burnsk
Hey kiddo, that is NOT a dumb question. I didn't know until I went to one. As a matter of fact, went to my second one last week. Every retreat is different. Some are structured with lecturers, others are more loosely structured. The one I went to could have been called a "Sewing Getaway" instead of a retreat. We went to Shipshewana, Ind. We checked in to our hotel on Thursday around 3:00 and left Sunday at 1:00. There was a huge conference room available 24 hours for us, at the end of the hall where our rooms were located. Last out locks up, first up opens. We each had an 8 foot table for our very own, there were 2 large tables with cutting mats, 4 ironing boards. We set up our sewing machines and sewed, sewed, sewed. Of course we did some shopping. We went out for our meals. There was also a pool and whirlpool.

We have some very talented ladies and guys in our group so there was a lot of sharing going on. One gal showed us how to make a sweatshirt jacket. I did a demo on tube quilting. One of the guys did a quick demo on the "Tater Bag". Another gal showed quick table runners. One of the gals did a purse demo. It was a lot of fun and a great get-away. We all hated to leave. There were some beautiful quilts made that week-end. Also some vests, jackets, blouses, and one gal brought her brand new Pfaff embroidery machine so she could just sit, read the manual, and find out how it works. And, of course, she got to network with others and it was a big help for her to learn her machine.

Some retreats are more structured, have a guest speaker (Lipinski did one not far from here last fall) and you all work on a similar quilt or design. Either way they are a lot of fun.
i also live about 2 hours from shipshewanna,have been planning a 2day trip for a month,haven't made it yet due to dr's visits,etc.it would be great if we could all meet,if only for lunch[maybe to PLAN a retreat ???]
I live about 2 hours east of Shipshewana (one of my FAVORITE places to go!) I try to get there once a month or every other month. I didn't know they had a quilting retreat?! Has the next one been planned yet?
i haven't heard of one,but it would be fun to try to plan one,even if only for a couple of days !
Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by aussiequilter
Maybe you could start one . Maybe not ( I couldn't go to it ) LOL