Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ok I need all of your organization ideas please.

Better Homes and Gardens has a sewing space organizers pictures that might be of some help to you to go and look at. The allpeoplequilt.com site (also better homes and gardens) has many room organizer tips too.

I thought of my sewing space like the kitchen .... The triangle, remember? You have cutting, sewing, and pressing to do. These need to have thier own items within reach, in a convienent order. Then you have the storage area (sometimes areas, if you also clothing sew).

I think what I am saying is. Break it down into tasks and then create areas, then it will come easier to you what goes where.

I hope this helps you a little.

yes it helps a lot thanks. I love the idea of the roll up WIP thing. I would have not thought of that.

Blog Entries
    I use one of those plastic shoe holders (hold 10 or so pairs) that hangs on the back of the door for odds and end & little things I don't want to lose like extra buttons, etc.

I did too get the daylight bulbs. DH is an electrician and he had very specific rules for my trip to the lighting store. I can't wait.

Blog Entries
    WundaMar - I noticed you just joined the Forum - welcome :P And what a great way to join - with tips we all can use. Pictures please! We love pictures :lol:

Blog Entries
    I have a wardrobe, 4 full base cabinets and 4 wall cabinets to house my fabrics. I have my stash sort of sorted into colors and stored in clear plastic bins. I wish it was easier to view my stash rather than pull out bin after bin and then sort through the bins.

Here are some ideas you may find useful.
    I use storage boxes I purchased at Michael's for around $1.66 per box to put my precut pieces such as strips. I place several like colors on the dividers provided and attach using paper clips. They fit nicely in the boxes and I can see what I have at a glance. I also store fat quarters and other small pieces of fabric organized in these boxes. They are also great for storing items such as dyes, yarn, and other little items that tend to get lost and you can never find until you do not need it.
    I put my yards of fabric in file folders for easy visual.
    I use the things you find in stores that hang chips to store some of my threads. I place them in small plastic zip lock bags.
    I also utilize pegboard to hang my scissors, rotary cutters, rulers, and misc items used.
    I have included some images to illustrate some of the things I am using in my sewing room to assist in organization.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have 5 more images to share

A CD/Video case is an excellent place to store fat quarters.

Blog Entries
    Where did you get the 'chips' hangar? Great idea. I'm rethinking my flatfolds. I like the idea of having them upright - easier to take them out and put them back. Your are nicely organized.

Hi KatSki,

Welcome to the board.

Fabric in the file folders? Does that make them easier to get to? Since the folders might pull out easily? I don't have shelves the right size for that, but that is one interesting idea.

Thanks for all your pics, great ideas.

Here are a few of my organization pics. Bookcase is a from Walmart for about $30. Hubby made my sewing table from scraps a friend was tossing in the trash. He also made my ruler rack and hung the pegboard for me. I keep all my quilty books and patterns in another bookshelf unit.

My stash
    Name:  Attachment-35361.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  52.5 KB

My ruler pegboard and rack
    Name:  Attachment-35362.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  58.7 KB

My awesome sewing table
    Name:  Attachment-35363.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  53.8 KB

These are nice pictures. You should be proud of how nicely organized you are.

My advise is shelves, and more shelves, so you can keep the middle clear :wink:

I purchased the clips online at HangUps Unlimited
    Here is the site for the hanger clips
    http://www.hangups.com/MerchandiserStrips.html
    and the style MSH 12
    The ziplock bags I purchase at the flea market, since they are cheaper than at other stores.

I find the folders make it easier to see the fabrics. I still need to organize based on colors. The image I sent is a small collection of fabrics. I also use the crates I purchased from JoAnn's to store the folders of fabrics. This allows them to be a bit more portable than a book case. Since I do not have lots of room in my sewing room. Need more space (LOL).

Wow !! that what I call organised ladies.. its just not fair!!! :lol:

Blog Entries
    a professional quilter friend of mine suggests you keep your fabric covered so the light will not bleach out that exposed edge. Who, I asked her, keeps fabric THAT long? lol She did have a point tho... just another piece over the front of the cabinet will do the trick.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KatSki
    I purchased the clips online at HangUps Unlimited
    Here is the site for the hanger clips
    http://www.hangups.com/MerchandiserStrips.html
    and the style MSH 12
    TY for the web site. It looks like the ones you bought are $6.50 for 10. How long are they? I didn't see a length measurement.

I looked at other things at that site - amazing how many things you can use to'hang' things!
    Joanne

Joann
    Try this site; it has better info regarding the hangers.
    http://www.hang-ups.com/TABSTYLE/index.asp
    Merchandising Strips
    Item code: MSH-12
    Cost: 0.45 cents 10 for $4.50
    Length: 291/8 inch
    They also snap together to extend the length

The one that is $6.50 has a large tap at the top for labeling.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KatSki
    Joann
    Try this site; it has better info regarding the hangers.
    http://www.hang-ups.com/TABSTYLE/index.asp
    Merchandising Strips
    Item code: MSH-12
    Cost: 0.45 cents 10 for $4.50
    Length: 291/8 inch
    They also snap together to extend the length

The one that is $6.50 has a large tap at the top for labeling.
    Thank you!

Thanks for all of the photos. They are great. I am sure my sewing room will be that organized too.................for at least 15 mins!!!

if you buy your batting by the BIG rolls for machine quilting I would suggest hanging it from either the ceiling or a wall where it would be out of the way over a table so it can be pulled off and cut right where it is . I have my room all planned but due to remodeling other parts of the house I don't think I will get my room:(. I also think I would hang a flannel tablecloth so I could have a design wall I wouldn't' have to sit on the floor to do lol

Hi, I'm Ramona and love reading this Board, but haven't posted until now. You might want to try the Yahoo Group "yoursewingroom" for great pictures and scads of ideas on how to organize or setup or improve your sewing room. Nice ladies, too! It's one of my favorite groups.

Ramona

I have found that the triangle is the best for me. I have MS and it saves me lots of steps. I also have floor to ceiling book shelves that I sort my fabric by color. I measure the fabric and tag it also. Larger yardage of material I place on carboard bolts( Joann's are more than glad to give them to you. Those I stack in an armior standing on edage. Batting I buy in bolts and backing too. I buy clear plastic storage boxes used to store scrapbooking paper 12"x12" perfect to place pattern and materials in for the project I am working on or will be. They stack nicely. My fat quaters I bought basket to fit the size of a folded fat quater. I use other baskets to store binding and bias and hang them from the ceiling in my basement. My husband built a shelf to house my TVand radio and disc player. It is at eye level. (I just like it on for the noise) I also have a small college type referiator to keep cold beverage and fruit in for those snack time. My husband also placed two set ofshop lights,one above cutting board and one right above my sewing machine. My Pa made me two shelves to hold my rulers and templates. And since I am in the basement I have an esculator to ride down and up the steps. As you come down the steps you will see a sign up above that says ,"Rosie's Heaven" along the side walls coming down the stair case are photo of quilts I have made and are framed with a discription of the quilt and who it was made for along with the pattern name. I know this is long but maybe some of these will help. Above all it needs to be comfortable for you.

dj,

great ideas, that's a why didn't I think of that.

thanks

peel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast