Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat? >

OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat?

OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:05 AM

We don't have those problems...thank you. Dh has always supported my hobbies just as I support his.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by luvspaper
Looking at it from another angle....when the two of you were deciding on purchasing the LA, did you ever mention that you hope to make money from doing others quilts on it? Especially trying to justify why it was needed or could be used? If you did, it might have been that you put the bug in his ear.

DH and I each have "fun money" -- it generally works for our hobbies but something like a LA would have to come out of general savings/budget/credit.
Yes, I did try to justify it. That's my point, why did I feel the need to? He said I could have it if I wanted it. I bought it used and paid cash. It didn't put us in a bind until he lost his job 2 weeks later which no one could have foreseen. I have wanted to quilt for over 30 years and was busy as a single mom with 3 kids, helping them with their children, helping my parents build their house(yes, I did construction), working side by side with DH for several years and now raising his grand daughter which has been quite an experience in itself. I'm not getting younger. If I don't do something for myself that I want to do, I'll soon be too old and too crippled to. Quilting helps keep me sane. My DH is a wonderful man, he just still sees me as super human and able to do it all and I'm not. I don't have a problem doing some for pay but I want the freedom to do it my way, when I feel ready. I made my post because I knew there would be some great comments from people who have similar feelings, not to complain about my DH. He can't help that he doesn't get it.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:18 AM

Yeah, he can't help that he doesn't get it. He is a MAN, after all.
And to whoever said he must be a kind & caring man - LOL! Sorry but he's my brother & I know him pretty well. He may be kind at times but a lot of times he's just a butt.
Selena, don't try to justify it any more. Just do the quilts you want to do, make money when you want to. And tell him all these things about his boat & such that other folks have posted. Quilting is fun when you don't have customers wanting to tell you how to do it.
Oh! I'll be sending you one soon. Probably at the end of next week. And I won't be "one of those" customers! LOL
Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I got my long arm by looking at the corvette in the garage. We can't drive it often because: it's raining. It's going to rain. it might rain. it rained last week etc.
I told him that even if I quilted 5 quilts a year it would get used more that that car, and I wouldn't be paying for collision insurance to boot!
EXACTLY! :-D :thumbup:
Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

so, have you asked him these questions??
perhaps if you did he would stop and think about it- and the problem would be solved.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:21 PM

The important thing is being overlooked. You got the longarm. I say jump in and start your business. I sent a quilt to a gal, I was her first customer. She told me in advance that she was new to the game. Showed me her quilts. And her prices. But for what she offered she did well, I'd use her again, she can only get better. I say put your name out there. If you wait till your are Quilt show worthy that could take years. And tell honey to get the boat out tonight because your gonna be quilting and he needs to catch supper to make that boat pay for itself. I'm lucky my honey brings home fish and whatever else HE wants to fry up. Good luck with your long arm business!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:29 PM

It's just a "guy" thing and they really just don't get it. My DH has many of the same ideas and it's my money that I'm spending. He thinks all of my stitching is a waste of time unless it is for him. If his coveralls need a zipper or a business associate has a new baby, he certainly doesn't hesitate to ask me to make a gift. He also doesn't understand my teaching. His first question is always "Well are they going to pay you?" Sometimes I do teach and get paid and sometimes it is voluntary but it bugs me that he always asks because it is my choice!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Tell him he needs to give people paid boat rides while you're quilting for hire LOL
Good comeback. :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-31-2011, 12:32 PM

My hubby tells me I can have what we can afford as long as it doesn't creep into the man cave.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

No kidding....my husband has 8 fly rods costing anywhere from 250 to 800 each and when I got my Janome MC7700 for my 50th birthday, I had to sell my MC4900 to help pay for it. Not sure that's fair....