Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which one do you like better?? Help please! >

Which one do you like better?? Help please!

Which one do you like better?? Help please!

Old 11-12-2009, 01:51 PM

I absolutely love the middle one - it will look so beautiful!! You would have to have it quilted, though, whereas the tied one would be quilted once you have tied the ties. But I think if you're willing to have it quilted by a long arm quilter, then go for the middle one.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ragann63
I made my sister a Sister's Choice last year for Christmas.

A short story behind it: My sister doesn't quilt or sew and two years ago for Christmas she bought our grandmother 18 half yards of fabric for quilting. She went to JoAnn's and bought a light and dark of nine colors. Not knowing anything about material, some of it was really cheap and some of it wasn't too bad. Our grandmother died before she was able to even take the material out of the box. I asked our mother for the material and made the Sister's Choice quilt.

The material was my sister's choice, the pattern was her sister's choice and the fabric belonged to our grandmother. I loved it!

Sometimes it isn't just about the fabric and the block. It is the love and thought that goes into the project. Whatever you choose, I am sure she will treasure!
I just love stories like this, this is what family is about! Very nice.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:00 PM

I personally like the South Seas Squares
Old 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM

Quilt number 1 is by far the the easiest, if you can sew straight seams. You will need to be really careful that the seams are uniform. Reject #3. It isn't ragged edge enough to look good.

I like the looks of the second quilt best. Good luck whatever you do. froggyintexas
Old 11-12-2009, 07:10 PM

I like the 2nd one, it looks great and you might actually get it done by Christmas. Most bed quilts take a looooong time to make, so keep it simple. If you can't manage it right now for Christmas giving, then do a table topper. Or think about 'farming out' the top quilting (finding a pro with a long arm machine), that will help speed things up a bit, but it can be pricey.
Good luck!
Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 11-12-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by MaryAnna
I like the 2nd one, it looks great and you might actually get it done by Christmas. Most bed quilts take a looooong time to make, so keep it simple. If you can't manage it right now for Christmas giving, then do a table topper. Or think about 'farming out' the top quilting (finding a pro with a long arm machine), that will help speed things up a bit, but it can be pricey.
Good luck!
Regards,
MaryAnna
Good luck finding a longarmer that isn't fully booked already!! If they aren't I wouldn't take them any quilts because they must not be very good to not already be booked!
Old 11-13-2009, 07:43 PM

Ohmisslizzie do you have a friend that could quilt with you? Someone who could help guide you through this?? all the advise I have read is great. When I first started quilting a new, now dear friend showed me how. She directed me to do a small wall hanging. That was five years ago and it is still hanging on my wall. I love it. Wish we could get together and work together. Then it would not take so long to sew or tie.

Living in the Shendoah Valley of Virginia,
Katrina
Old 11-14-2009, 04:55 AM

Good point ScissorQueen! Yes, good longarm quilters are always pretty well booked, so you should have already taken the quilt to her by now in order to get it back by Christmas.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 11-14-2009, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnna
Good point ScissorQueen! Yes, good longarm quilters are always pretty well booked, so you should have already taken the quilt to her by now in order to get it back by Christmas.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
The best longarmer in my area is booked a full year in advance! Most of the rest are booked at least 6 months in advance.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:25 AM

go through quilting magazines at the newsstand and read the directions.
Quick Quilts mag. may have something you like. If you do jelly roll quilts which are rolls of 2 1/2 strips, this would be the easiest. And it goes togetherv quickly. You pick your own material. ConnectingThreads.com has material for reasonable prices.
Good luck
Marla