Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which one do you like better?? Help please! >

Which one do you like better?? Help please!

Which one do you like better?? Help please!

Old 11-14-2009, 10:19 AM

On the mark again Scissor Queen! I agree the best longarm quilters are booked in advance. In my area there are 3 that I know of, and they are booked 3-6 months in advance. During this time of year you can forget it. I usually do my own top quilting; however I can't manage a queen/king size quilt. I'm reading up on quilting a bed sized quilt at home by doing it in sections.
Have you tried that yet? I was just curious as to how well it comes out. Longarmers are expensive and the bigger the project, the bigger the $$$. What are they charging in your area? In my area it starts (lap quilt, wall hanging, crib quilt) at $150.00, for basic single design, the more designs the more you pay, and of course you provide all materials. It really gets painful at the king size level.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 11-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Yes I've been thinking about it and I want to do the sashing myself and this is probably too much to take on to finish by christmas as I have 4 kids and i am making most of my family members blankets, pajamas etc...I just won't have time to get it all done, and I don't want to rush through hers - I want to have the time to really focus and not feel pressured, I did find a tutorial for a small quilt that I am going to be making 3 of before christmas- but it is much easier than the queen sized one I was talking about, I will use similar prints for 1 of them but use different prints for the other two, when I finish them I will post pics even though they are little ones (well Im making them larger than the instructions 50 x50), I will attach a link so you can see and let me know what you think!! Thanks for all the advice - you are all sooo wonderful!
http://www.modernorganicfabrics.com/...tle-quilt.html
Old 11-14-2009, 01:43 PM

Well this sounds like something you can finish in time for Christmas!
And I think the bright and lively colors look fantastic!
Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 11-16-2009, 01:40 PM

I like the second one, it is very pretty. She has some very pretty patterns. Sometimes she does tutorials of quilts on her blog. I thought I saved at least one, but couldn't find them.

I like the quilt you just gave the link for. It is do-able by Christmas, especially when you plan to make more. It will be easier to handle to quilt as well. Good plan to wait to make a big bed quilt so that you can take your time. I sent you a PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
The first one says it's 91 x 81. I'll assume that 81 is the width.
Buy enough fabric to cut your strips in one piece.
Get 2 1/2 yards of EACH color fabric and cut your strips not salvage to salvage but cut them cut side to cut side (the length of the fabric). Sew them together and the top is done. Fine for a beginner. Just remember to sew one row right to left and the next left to right and you will avoid a bow.
you'll have some fabric left for your stash or could use some to make matching pillows.
WOW !!!! Now why didn't I think of that....I have wanted a large quilt with stripes fully across and pondered on the logistics of doing this....thinking seams staggered on all stripes. WOW !!! My plans can now proceed.

I LOVE the stripped quilt best in the three patterns.