Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which one do you like better?? Help please! >

Which one do you like better?? Help please!

Which one do you like better?? Help please!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:52 PM

Oh myself, definatley!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:54 PM

so now its between number one and number two :?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:20 PM

The last picture was gone :(
Old 11-12-2009, 07:22 AM

I like the first one. I am not big on raw edges.
Marie
Old 11-12-2009, 07:31 AM

Ohmisslizzie: I second the motion on the Warm Wishes quilt. I just made a baby quilt using that pattern and am getting ready to do a BIG quilt from the same pattern. It is so simple and the finished product looks like a difficult quilt pattern. Is it simply the rail fence (3 fabric strips sewn together and then a square blocks. Everything makes into six-inch blocks. Your fabric choices are important but you do not need that many different kinds of fabric. You can go on the Internet and access the pattern by typing in "Warm Wishes Quilt Pattern." If you send me your e-mail address, I can send you a picture of the baby quilt I made so you can see what it looks like or as mentioned before, just type in "Warm Wishes Quilt Pattern" and you can see their beautiful display quilt. Your sister is blessed to have you as a sister. Sue ([email protected])
Old 11-12-2009, 07:44 AM

Hi,
My opinion only - but if you want it to look more difficult than what it actually is, I'd go with the second one. The first one looks like it's just strips sewn together and the third one, with the frayed edges, could give someone an idea that it was not "finished", not too "difficult" and not very "detailed". The second one, on the other hand, take thought to figure out how it was pieced and it has more of a "professional, quilt pattern" feel to it. My 2 cents worth! Good luck!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 AM

Stripes all the way across are doable and will not look like 2 twins if you sew your pieces together on the bias. That way your seam allowance will be less noticeable. It will be more time consuming than just sewing 2 panels together but if that is the look you want (continous strips) then go for it. Post pics too. We all love to see pictures of everyone's work. :)

I just completed (last night) a raw edged appliqued heart quilt. It wasn't all that easy since I didn't have a pattern just a memory of one I saw at a quilt show. I washed it and dried it in the dryer. It looks nice--one of the few I ever completed and liked all the way to the end! So if raw edge is something you are thinking about, go for it. It is your choice since you are doing the work. But whatever you decide, your sister will love it because it came from you!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:08 AM

First, a couple questions. Is this quilt going to be used on a bed or as a throw and eventually laundered? If it is, I'd say to eliminate the last pattern with the raw edges. I'd be afraid of raveling in the future. The first one with the stripes going across, will be very easy and fast to put together. The second one is still made from strips but more time needed because of how the blocks are sewn together. The second one will also give more of a checkerboard appearance, I think. It's up to you. You are quite ambitious to tackle a queen size quilt for your first quilt to make! :wink: Good Luck!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:04 AM

if you're a 1st time quilter, i think you should stay away from sashing. if the blocks don't line up your sister will will still love it, but why not work up to that gradually? when the blocks aren't lined up they look very crooked, so my advice would be don't go there yet. the first one is very pretty and will make a lovely quilt. that will encourage you to keep going. the next one might be blocks with no sashing and then one with sashing. don't be in a hurry. you'll get there.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:50 PM

Hi, ... I think I like the middle one best, but also like the last one. These are soooooo easy to make, you shouldn't have to buy the patterns!

Have you been to http://www.quiltville.com/ ? You will find so so many FREE quilt patterns there. Bonnie Hunter loves to use scraps but you can make the quilts with any fabrics of your choice.

You can also go to this website for free patterns and directions for the newby quilter...look around here http://www.quilterscache.com/

have a great time.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA