Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions please.... >

Opinions please....

Opinions please....

Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 AM

there's one near me. none of the fabrics are labelled as to content. everything "apparel" (or not home dec weight) is in flat folds and the price and length are marked. upholstery and drapery fabrics are on long tubes and are labelled by cost per yard. there are trims sometimes. wallpaper rolls, cheap knick knacks and some candy show up sometimes, and discontinued patterns and sewing pattern books. they have a big sale every 3-4 months. in between the sales events they sell very little. i have never seen lqs quality fabrics, but the home dec fabrics are excellent as are their prices. the sales staff only knows where to find things, but not what the fabrics contain.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
Check out this store:

http://yourcaliforniafabric.com/

I'd shop at the type of store you are describing!
I checked out the link, but didn't think it was such a great deal. Average $6.25 per yard. Granted, that is a great price for yardage, but not for small pieces. IMHO. Guess I am just hesitant that there would be too many pieces in the scrap bag that I didn't like.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 AM

Thousands of Bolts is like this and I love their fabric!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:53 AM

I have no outlets or Mill ends near me, so thanks for the information and the link! I'm going to check it out!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:29 AM

I would shop there if the fabric was good quality and there was enough yardage to be useable.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
There's a store in my area that sells older fabrics. She has no notions of any kind or anything else other fabric stores have. The absolutely only thing she has is fabric. The last time I was in there the fabric was $2 a yard for solids and $3 a yard for prints. Most of the fabrics are decent brands but not the top brands. I haven't been in there for 2 or 3 years now and I don't think most of my friends shop there either.
What town? Is it within a reasonable driving distance from Kansas City? I think there might be a day trip there.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:00 PM

When I lived in Rapid City, SD, we had a huge Ben Franklin store near my home and they sold these. One has to careful, as you may not be getting quality fabric. I have bought many pieces and have used them in little wall hanging, or items that will not to used on a dialy basis.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:56 PM

I am a frequent shopper at such a store and have found some terrific fabric-sometimes same brands I find at the quilt shop for half the price. This store has an abundance of fabric of all qualities--I don't know where the owner gets the fabric. What some people forget this that not all fabric people buy is for quilts or clothing. Sometimes teachers need lots of yardage for bulletin board backs, crafters need table coverings to show their wares, etc. The store I visit has such a huge selection of trims that local dress makers often go there for items they need.

However, you need to know your potential market in your area. You may live in an area where people want to pay $12.95 a yard for fabric because that's a status symbol. Good luck, froggyintexas
Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
I've had a thought that keeps bouncing around in my head, and would like to hear some opinions, for/against/who cares on it.

How would you feel about shopping at a store that only had end-lots, or end-bolts, pre-cuts, at reduced
prices? Sort of like a bargain corner stand-alone store?

I haven't thought it out thoroughly and in detail, but it's one of those things that keeps popping into my head unannounced!

Thanks for your ever-helpful opinions!

Deb
Old 04-22-2012, 02:12 PM

If you hate cutting you need the accuquilt go. I have one and love it! I can cut out an entire quilt in an hour! Perfect cuts I just bought the dies for the 5" square and can now make my own charm packs!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:58 PM

you could buy the ends and if not large enough cut them into fat quarters there is some fabulous quilts out there made from fat quarters