Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opinions please....

Opinions please....

I've had a thought that keeps bouncing around in my head, and would like to hear some opinions, for/against/who cares on it.

How would you feel about shopping at a store that only had end-lots, or end-bolts, pre-cuts, at reduced
    prices? Sort of like a bargain corner stand-alone store?

I haven't thought it out thoroughly and in detail, but it's one of those things that keeps popping into my head unannounced!

Thanks for your ever-helpful opinions!

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    I've had a thought that keeps bouncing around in my head, and would like to hear some opinions, for/against/who cares on it.

How would you feel about shopping at a store that only had end-lots, or end-bolts, pre-cuts, at reduced
    prices? Sort of like a bargain corner stand-alone store?

I haven't thought it out thoroughly and in detail, but it's one of those things that keeps popping into my head unannounced!

Thanks for your ever-helpful opinions!

Deb

if the cuts are usable sizes and decent material and cheap------------I'm in.

but a store that sold only this and nothing more? Where would the inventory come from?
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Most fabric stores have end of bolts and clearance fabric. I wouldn't buy precuts unless it had each fabric from the designer line. That's the main advantage of buying precuts. You have to be sure the precuts would not bleed, you don't pre wash pre cuts. If the fabric you will be selling is not good quality it doesn't matter how cheap it is and how cheap can you sell good quality that others aren't? If you can then you have a start of a great business.
    Got fabric?

Depending on the price I would be interested. I hate doing the cutting. However when I have purchased kits I never seem to have enough fabric. By the time I get to this point the store no longer has that fabric. So this could be a problem with this kind of store.

Blog Entries
    Are you 'thinking' of opening a store? IMHO, it would risky. It would be selling to a limited number of clientele.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Blog Entries
    For quilt backings, yes.

Check out this store:

http://yourcaliforniafabric.com/

I'd shop at the type of store you are describing!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I had forgotten about this place.

Interesting concept. Thanks for the link Willferg...did not know about this, now it's listed on my fave list. I personally like to mix and match my stuff because I'm still learning. I don't have the basics down enough to take on a 'dedicated' color designed quilt just yet.

Power Poster
    There are several Mill End Textiles stores in our area (southern Minnesota) - I think they started out with items like you mentioned (except for the pre-cuts).

Now they are quite large and carry a range of fabrics.

S. R. Harris is a large "outlet" fabric store located in a suburb northwest of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

I would probably only be interested in stopping by to shop at a "big" store.

I used to go to a couple of stores like this, one in Medford MA and one in central MA. Lots of fun, you never knew what you would find. The first one had seconds of Vera fabrics among other things.

There's a store in my area that sells older fabrics. She has no notions of any kind or anything else other fabric stores have. The absolutely only thing she has is fabric. The last time I was in there the fabric was $2 a yard for solids and $3 a yard for prints. Most of the fabrics are decent brands but not the top brands. I haven't been in there for 2 or 3 years now and I don't think most of my friends shop there either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    There are several Mill End Textiles stores in our area (southern Minnesota) - I think they started out with items like you mentioned (except for the pre-cuts).

Now they are quite large and carry a range of fabrics.

S. R. Harris is a large "outlet" fabric store located in a suburb northwest of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

I would probably only be interested in stopping by to shop at a "big" store.
    The Mill end in our area began with really good prices, but now their prices are not that great.
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    Check out this store:

Wait a minute! Shut the front door!

I live right down the street (no joke) from this place and didn't know it was there! THANK YOU FOR POSTING.

Yes I would shop there. Typically, I like collections so I grab precut collections when I have to have the fabric but don't know what to do with it yet. But if I need to add to something that I already have like for a border or a backing, I want it to be cheap...excellent quality and cheap. Shopping online works well for me...if online vs. brick and mortar is an option.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

I know a couple that sells 5 yard quilt kits. Buys from the wholesalers in the midwest and repackages. There are great wholesale deals. Visited Choice Fabric in Tenn. and was blown away. This couple sells at quilt shows and opened a retail outlet that is open when they are in town.

I would probably not drive to an outlet but if close I would check them out. However, I have been able to acquire a great stash from garage sales and estate sales at pennies on the dollar. It would be a risky operation.
    Last edited by sweetana3; 04-21-2012 at 09:56 AM.

South Carolina used to have a jillion places you could buy fabric by the pound...and I loved them! But...they all phased out about the same time (20 or so years ago) and we only have a place or two left that sells like that now. And they're not close to where I live and, as far as I know, don't have an Internet presence. So that tells me that maybe that idea has been gone long enough to be re-surfacing again, maybe? I think your idea is a good one; but you do have some competition in NC, particularly through Mary Jo's in ?Gastonia...do your research carefully, you may be on to something.
    Good luck!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Thanks for all your input. I value your opinions and thoughts, and will take everything you've said into consideration for my "maybe".

That's what I do now.

In Minnesota and maybe a couple of the surrounding states, there is a store called Mill End Textiles. They sell end lots, mismarks, etc., and they have a heavenly area of batiks. This store is where I fell in love with batiks. They will have a table with literally hundreds of fabrics--unfortunately they are not broken up by color--and if you dig you can find some great deals. I have gotten Jinny Beyer, lots of Benartex, RJR, and others. Also, if you are looking for a few yards, and there is a mistake in the print, they will cut it there, and then get your yardage. I have purchased fat quarters--lots of fat quarters. And their muslin--Roclon which is what is in the rest of the stores--is something like $4.00 a yard. Which means you can get it for $2.00 a yard with a coupon. I say, go for it!

Anita in Northfield, MN

I would definitely shop there..I am on dissability, so any way to keep my quilting affordable is good to me!!

Blog Entries
    there's one near me. none of the fabrics are labelled as to content. everything "apparel" (or not home dec weight) is in flat folds and the price and length are marked. upholstery and drapery fabrics are on long tubes and are labelled by cost per yard. there are trims sometimes. wallpaper rolls, cheap knick knacks and some candy show up sometimes, and discontinued patterns and sewing pattern books. they have a big sale every 3-4 months. in between the sales events they sell very little. i have never seen lqs quality fabrics, but the home dec fabrics are excellent as are their prices. the sales staff only knows where to find things, but not what the fabrics contain.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    Check out this store:

I checked out the link, but didn't think it was such a great deal. Average $6.25 per yard. Granted, that is a great price for yardage, but not for small pieces. IMHO. Guess I am just hesitant that there would be too many pieces in the scrap bag that I didn't like.
    To QUILT is human.
    To FINISH is divine.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4369F3FA17.png

Thousands of Bolts is like this and I love their fabric!
    Linda

I have no outlets or Mill ends near me, so thanks for the information and the link! I'm going to check it out!
    MacThayer

I would shop there if the fabric was good quality and there was enough yardage to be useable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast