Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ottlites >

Ottlites

Ottlites

Old 10-02-2011, 10:58 AM

Mine floor lamp isn't an Ott light. A friend bought 1 online but was sent 2 floor lamp style lamps. I absolutely love the one she gave me. I have it next to my reading/meditation chair in the living room.

I also have a table top folding Ott light but find I don't use it anymore as the LQS's have good lighting, my machines [except for the FW] have good lighting. For the FW if I feel I need more light I do use the floor lamp.

Just the floor lamp is enough for me.

ali
Old 10-02-2011, 11:04 AM

I have an ottlite I purchased the day after Christmas for 75% off at JoAnn's. I have others I had 50% off. I also have a similar lamp from Big Lots. The Big Lots lamp is every bit as effective for me. Don't remember the brand but they have similar advertising to the ottlite. I purchased the floor lamp for $29.99 or $39.99. I use lots of lamps.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:00 PM

I have two. One is over my quilt frame for handquilting and the other is over my chair for hand applique. Love them.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:12 PM
mim

I have a tavle one and a floor one -- I keep the table one at my SM to make it easier to do 1/4 seams and thread the needle.

Both are in WA so next summer I will buy a floor model for here. I think there are clones that are cheaper but my Otts are over 5 yrs old so they have been worth every cent. Before I had eye surgery, I could only see the needle by the flash of the steel. Regular lights weren't bright enough. But the best thing is that there isn't any color distortion or glare.

Mim
Old 10-02-2011, 02:07 PM

www.ottlite.com...they have sales all the time, and I love the 4 that I have. Got two more for $100.00 off their $129.99 price each because the shade was made incorrectly and the correct shades were shipped free as well. You can't buy any kind of lamp for $29.99 that includes a shade and bulb.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:16 PM

I've had a floor style and 2 unfolding for tables for a long time. I just bought at Hancocks 2 table telescoping ones for my machines. I really like them. My eyes are old[ha] and I need them. They were half-price.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:42 PM

I have had 2 floor model Ott lights and the first only lasted 89 days and the second lasted less than a year. I will not buy another although I did really like them when they worked. I currently have a floor lamp I purchased at Home Depot and put a daylight florescent bulb in. It works fairly well, but I did prefer the light that the Ott emitted. Just could not justify the cost with the limited duration of the light.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:54 PM
mim

I thought Ott had a warranty on the light fixture. -- the bulb is not under warranty. I would have taken it back as defective.
Some people buy cheap 3 way bulbs -- I always buy Sylvania because if it blows they are happy to replace them. There is a number of guaranteed hours of use.
Mim

Originally Posted by lfletcher
I have had 2 floor model Ott lights and the first only lasted 89 days and the second lasted less than a year. I will not buy another although I did really like them when they worked. I currently have a floor lamp I purchased at Home Depot and put a daylight florescent bulb in. It works fairly well, but I did prefer the light that the Ott emitted. Just could not justify the cost with the limited duration of the light.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by mim
I thought Ott had a warranty on the light fixture. -- the bulb is not under warranty. I would have taken it back as defective.
Some people buy cheap 3 way bulbs -- I always buy Sylvania because if it blows they are happy to replace them. There is a number of guaranteed hours of use.
Mim

Originally Posted by lfletcher
OMG -- my first Ott lamp lasted about 3 years; I replaced the bulb and it has been almost 10 years now. My floor lamp has had the same bulb since day one (almost 8 years ago). A friend bought one from JoAnns which lasted just a couple of months, but JoAnns ordered a new bulb and gave it to her free! You got took!!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:07 PM

I love mine. Wonderful for night sewing.