Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ottlites >

Ottlites

Ottlites

Old 10-02-2011, 05:12 PM

I have two of them and also a lamp that uses a day lite bulb. Sure helped me with cross stitching. Use coupons when you can for the bulbs and lamps.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:16 PM

LOVE mine - use it for my sewing machine area and also move it to my chair when I do reading at nite or handwork. It is also great for matching navy/black dress socks!! :-)
Old 10-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by kayahr
I realized that I did not need to buy the entire fixture sold by Ott to have an Ott-lite. I bought two architects lamps at Walmart that take the same size bulb as an Ott-lite. Then I found the bulbs in Office Depot.
Ditto: I put an Ott Lite bulb in a regular light fixture. Got the bulb at JoAnn's if I remember correctly.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:50 PM

I have two Ott lights and I love them. I had a third that I used on my sewing table and it died after two months. I reported it to Ott light and once I sent a picture of the light with the cord cut, they sent me a new light. It had one of those new bulbs in it, the spiral ones. I think I could see better with a candle. I gave it away. Although I would'nt hesitate to buy another Ott, I would not buy one that uses the new bulbs.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:52 PM

I have three-two floor models and a fold up table lamp. They are very cool (don't put out heat) and make everything show up so well. I got mine on sale at JoAnn's at different times. The bulbs last a long time. As a matter of fact, I have never replaced a bulb yet and the floor models are used daily.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by kayahr
I realized that I did not need to buy the entire fixture sold by Ott to have an Ott-lite. I bought two architects lamps at Walmart that take the same size bulb as an Ott-lite. Then I found the bulbs in Office Depot.
I did the same thing! The bulb was not near as expensive as the full fixture. With my savings, I bought FABRIC!!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Snorky Lvs2Quilt
I have one and love it....or loved it until the light burned out. It didn't last very long at all. Now I have to find a replacement bulb. I have a tabletop Ottlite and can position it wherever I need the light directed. Hopefully the replacement bulb will last longer....if that is what the problem is.
I found the replacement lights at Home Depot---same fittings, and wattage, just not the same price. Lets say about 1/3 or so of the cost of the Ott replacement bulb.

To get in on the discussion of the lights---My husband and I both have one at each of our desks, really makes a big difference--will not change those---and I also have one in my sewing room. Really helps when I need to match colors, or to trim closely, can see so much better.

Sibyl
Old 10-02-2011, 09:13 PM

Some people are soooo silly! I have been struggling with sewing at night...dragging the pole lamp out and back, tilting the table lamp shade to direct light, just avoiding sewing at night! Until this post...I forgot that I had bought an Ott-Lite. I had packed the unopened box neatly away in the garage but I knew exactly where it was. Ladies and gents, the unopened box was post marked 02-09-2008. Yes, bought for half price when Joann's had a sale and never opened! Oh the shame of it. The light is now assembled, on and I can direct the light where I need it! THANK YOU for posting the topic and helping silly people like me. :)
Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 PM

I LOVE my Ott Lite! I don't know how I ever stitched without it! I used to use the daylight bulbs, and for me the Ott is a BIG improvement. I have a floor model by my chair that is used daily for hours. It was gifted to me by a friend a couple of years ago when her MIL passed away. She didn't think she'd have any use for it, so it came my way (bless her heart!) I am still using the original bulb-at least two years old.
I love mine so much in fact, that I recommended it to my friend to use when grooming her dogs. Her light travels with her to the shows almost every weekend. It's a bit more bunged up than mine, but it's still going, and she loves it too!
Old 10-03-2011, 02:45 AM

love it love it love it!