Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Owners of the Q'nique or Block Rockit >

Owners of the Q'nique or Block Rockit

Owners of the Q'nique or Block Rockit

Old 05-19-2016, 09:32 PM

Here is a link about pairing needles to thread -- for 50wt thread you should use the 14 needle (I use top stitch needles for most of my sewing) for quilting -- you can get away with a 12 for piecing. http://www.quiltingboard.com/resources/article-61.html

That said, my machine hates Sulky thread -- I can use anything else. You also might try a different needle -- I had issues and an entire box of new needles must have had burrs since when I went to a different box of needles I had no problems.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:03 AM

As a fairly new owner of my Q'nique (love it!) since November, I have found proper tension is the key, and watching the speed also helps. I use either size 14 or 16 needles, depending on the weight of thread. Yesterday I was quilting on batik fabric for the first time on Q'nique. The thread broke a few times. Finally, I realized batik is rather tightly woven. I switched to a size 18 needle, and the thread breakage stopped. The needle does not leave any noticeable holes in the fabric.

Special note: before each project, I always test the tension on a strip of the same fabric on the backing next to the actual quilt top on the side and make adjustments accordingly.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:39 AM
Gay

I had this problem last week with my Tin Lizzie, didn't matter what thread I used. The dealer talked me into buying King Tut (sooo expensive) but didn't solve anything. Then I realized I was using a thinner batting and thought to let the foot down a fraction more - it worked! Haven't had a broken thread since. By the way, I'm quilting with machine embroidery thread on top for this quilt and all is well.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
I had this problem last week with my Tin Lizzie, didn't matter what thread I used. The dealer talked me into buying King Tut (sooo expensive) but didn't solve anything. Then I realized I was using a thinner batting and thought to let the foot down a fraction more - it worked! Haven't had a broken thread since. By the way, I'm quilting with machine embroidery thread on top for this quilt and all is well.
Yes, you are right! The manual for Q'nique recommends putting the equivalent of eight layers of paper (I stapled 8 small posit notes together) under the presser foot and lowering the foot attachment down until it touches the paper and then tightening up the attachment before quilting. I check this before each project since I use different battings.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:11 AM

Have you tried a new needle? You could have a burr on the needle.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:59 AM

I agree that your problem is either a piece of lint or a tension problem.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:37 AM

I have the same needle in that I was using before this started, I did check the bobbin case to see if there was any lint cleaned it out just in case no change. Also I'm using the same batting that I have been, started this quilt top a few weeks ago everything was going fine now this so extremely annoying! I have been doing other things and since the top is mine I was not in a rush to complete it. I will change the needle but I agree it's probably a tension issue because of where it is shredding, It's like when a knot gets caught up.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
Here is a link about pairing needles to thread -- for 50wt thread you should use the 14 needle (I use top stitch needles for most of my sewing) for quilting -- you can get away with a 12 for piecing. http://www.quiltingboard.com/resources/article-61.html

That said, my machine hates Sulky thread -- I can use anything else. You also might try a different needle -- I had issues and an entire box of new needles must have had burrs since when I went to a different box of needles I had no problems.
My LA also hates Sulky--when I looked on their website, it made note that when using it on a LA you should go slow.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:40 AM

I have a Block Rockit and have great success with Omni thread. I tried a different brand and never could get the tension just right. I went back to Omni.....no more problems.

There are are two block Rockit groups that I know of. One on yahoo and one on Facebook. I have learned a lot there. Feel free to pm if you want to connect. I love my block Rockit and enjoy the fact that I don't have to worry about sandwiching my quilts!
Old 05-21-2016, 04:30 AM

Talking to my former longarmer, she recommended Glide thread. It works like a charm for me.