Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: which part of the process is your LEAST favorite?

Marking and pinning.

I just found a new way to sandwich and baste, so it's not as dreaded as it once was. I have trouble deciding how to machine quilt my quilts. Once I decide, I'm ok, but the decision-making process is excruciating.

Mine is the sandwiching! I never look forward to that part.

Today-borders, but generally binding is my least favorite part.

I'm your basic topper...so I'll only address the process to top completion. My enthusiasm wains when I can see what the top will really look like...that's when I want to start another! I've got quite a few completed tops...but I've got quite a few tops that just need a bit more work because it just wasn't going to be as much fun to finish as it would be to start another! For me, it's about the fun...not about the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I'm with you, the only part I really mind is that final press.
    Yes, Yes!!! Partly because I don't have a big pressing board. We're looking for our retirement home and it will have a room big enough for a LARGE pressing board!!

My least favorite part is buying the fabric....oh wait....that's my most favorite part (tee hee). :D My least favorite part is sandwiching and then deciding how to quilt it. That's where I really get stuck. Once I get going on the quilting I'm okay, but getting started is my brick wall.

For me the finish is the fun.

Oh how I loath loading and unloading a quilt on to rails for machine quilting!!!!!!! I hand quilt most everything bigger than a wall hanging; one day I'll actually send something out to be done.....I hear these's someone out there that doesn't mind it.

Blog Entries
    Left-hander here. I hate to cut. But I'm sticking with it.

I have a special situation. This is a very OLD trailer and I must turn off the heat to stop and press anything or I will trip the circuit breaker. Sometimes I feel like Lisa Douglas on "Green Acres". It would not bother me as much, I think, if I did not have to remind myself to stop, turn off heat, turn on iron, press my pieces, turn off iron, turn heat back on. Yikes! Can't wait for spring when I will not have to have the heat on.....

I actually like the whole process and I always finish one before I start another, so I know if I get one finished I can start another.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
    I'm your basic topper...so I'll only address the process to top completion. My enthusiasm wains when I can see what the top will really look like...that's when I want to start another! I've got quite a few completed tops...but I've got quite a few tops that just need a bit more work because it just wasn't going to be as much fun to finish as it would be to start another! For me, it's about the fun...not about the finish.
    Ooo! Now I guess I can admit it too!! I LOVE the planning, picking the fabric, not so much the cutting, and piecing about the first third or so....then I'm ready to move on. So you can imagine how many UFO's I have. I have made myself finish some things recently and it does feel GOOD to be done. I do love hand quilting, but I am still so slow. I dislike (not hate) basting everything together - I guess I need a 3 roller frame, right?

Junior Member Miss Purple Shoes's Avatar
    Making the sandwich. I don't have enough space to stretch the backing and seem to get spray fix everywhere but on the batting - including on Branston the dog!

I dislike the piecing the most. I have learned over the years to just go ahead and do the parts I like the least so I can get to the parts I like the best. I love picking out fabric and imagining what I am going to do with it. All the steps after that until I get to the handquilting are just like a "job". As a child my brothers and I hated to do the dishes. As an adult I have learned to "just do" mindlessly, many things so that I could get to the best parts.

Quote Originally Posted by tkhooper
    Left-hander here. I hate to cut. But I'm sticking with it.
    These guys have a left handed rotary cutter. I hope that helps.

:arrow: http://www.quiltbug.com/notions/martelli.htm

Making sure the back is smooth while quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    I really hate adding the borders too! MEasure...measure...cut...sew...measure..measure.. .cut sew..TEDIUOS!
    My solution. Cut the strips, sew them on, trim to size. I know that's not as square as if I do it the tedious way, but it keeps me sane so I'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    Quote Originally Posted by KBunn
    Ok...this is going to sound terrible but it's the acutal quilting that I dread sometimes. I love the planning, cutting and peicing phases. I dont mind the endless pressing and sandwhiching parts. But hand quilting takes so long and I am still learning to machine quilt...so it's the phase of the process that frustrates me the most.
    I am with you on this! I machine quilt, and it seems that it takes me longer to do all of this than putting it all together. I keep looking - how many more 'rows' or panels to do :shock:
    I used to feel that way, then I got my Flynn system. I quilted a queen size quilt in 7 hours. 7 hours, how crazy fast is that??

Paying for the fabric. This is, of course, completely different from buying fabric.

I hate getting the backing ready. Can never figure out how much to buy. I end up buying way to much or having to piece it when I'm don't buy enough! :thumbdown:

Blog Entries
    My least favorite is ....hummmmm....thinking, thinkng.

Well, I think it must be the loading on the frame to quilt it. Then doing one small 4" wide band of quilting, then having to roll, then one small 4" wide band, then having to roll....OK, you get the idea. I wish I had a real longarm instead of a midarm. It would go so much faster. That is really my least favorite....oh, wait, maybe....no, right, that's it!!! :-)

But thinking about what I just said, I guess I should really be very thankful I have what I have, so, no, that can't really be my least favorite. So, I don't know what it would be. I really like all of it.

Sandwiching is the hardest part for me.

I hate the cutting out. I really need to be in the mood to cut out any sewing project.

I have a Flynn but have never been able to use it, I get very frustrated, but would like to. Any tips?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast